Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sick of loose steering in your e34?

My Cars
    328ic, CLK55 AMG, Disco
    Out of curiosity, didn't some of the E39s have a rack? It was either the 6 cylinders had racks and the V8s had drag link, or the other way around. It seems like starting with an E39 front sub frame with a rack on it, might be a easier task. Although I'm not well versed in the differences between E39 front cross members with the E34.
    2001 CLK55 AMG - 223K Miles : 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II - 259K miles - 4th engine : 1996 328i Convertible 89K Miles (The wife's) : 2005 Outback Wagon 203K Miles (also The wife's)

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMoose View Post
    Out of curiosity, didn't some of the E39s have a rack? It was either the 6 cylinders had racks and the V8s had drag link, or the other way around. It seems like starting with an E39 front sub frame with a rack on it, might be a easier task. Although I'm not well versed in the differences between E39 front cross members with the E34.
    Yeah, you're kinda right. Yes the E39 I6's got a new suspension setup and a rack, but it's not swappable. They changed an important bit of the system, and it's the reason that the V8 cars didn't get the new stuff - they put the steering bits on the other side of the axle from the older setup. So the rack doesn't work in our cars, and you can't just swap the wheel end bits over to fix it either. That's why it's so tough to do this right - you're re-engineering the whole front end to do it properly. Not un-doable, but definitely not 'easy'.

Fox

My Cars
    E34 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by K Fox View Post
    Yeah, you're kinda right. Yes the E39 I6's got a new suspension setup and a rack, but it's not swappable. They changed an important bit of the system, and it's the reason that the V8 cars didn't get the new stuff - they put the steering bits on the other side of the axle from the older setup. So the rack doesn't work in our cars, and you can't just swap the wheel end bits over to fix it either. That's why it's so tough to do this right - you're re-engineering the whole front end to do it properly. Not un-doable, but definitely not 'easy'.

Fox
    Didn't someone mod the e39 6cyl subframe to an e34 once?

My Cars
    '11 528 Msport, '95 840i
    I'm very interested to see what you come up with and if its in the >$1k range I think you would have a lot of interested parties.

My Cars
    1989 524tdA
    Update on the situation: the crosmember is being powdercoated. the people who do it, told me that it might be ready on friday evening. so some pictures might come up on saturday. maybe even with it installed on the car. if all goes well

till then - get rest
    Last edited by riddlerLV; 07-11-2012 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by riddlerLV
    Update on the situation: the crosmember is being powdercoated. the people who do it, told me that it might be ready on friday evening. so some pictures might come up on saturday. maybe even with it installed on the car. if all goes well

till then - get rest
    Awesome can't wait to see

My Cars
    E34 535i

till then - get rest
    !You couldn't at least give us a teaser pic to go along with this update? Lol.

My Cars
    1989 524tdA
    be patient otherwise everyone will start saying that it is an incomplete crap etc + I should actually test it before showing it to wider public. maybe some modifications are recquired

My Cars
    95 540/6
    Subscribed for sure!
    "For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve and to conquer" ARNOLD

My Cars
    E34 535i
    update?

My Cars
    1989 524tdA
    so this is how the kit might look like

THIS IS A PROTOTYPE, I haven't had the time to install it on the car and test it. but there is only one bit I'm slightly concerned, that might need some mods - it is the joint connection between the column and steering rack.

wait a moment, further details coming up

so therea are only 2 parts modified of all this lot (by now)

that is the rod or bar or stick or whatever it is called in English.

first centered on lathe and then shortened and welded

and then there is the modified axle carrier

then there are the machined brackets, the welds don't differ much from the factory ones

and this is how it looks all bolted together

REMEMBER: I haven't nor testfitted it yet nor driven. so don't get overexcited, it is just a prototype. the position of rack is made so that it matches the factory box dimensions. will post the comparison pictures after a while.
    Last edited by riddlerLV; 07-14-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E34 535i
    Looks good.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 525i
    Looks good is it a BMW factory rack? Looks a lot better than the conversion I've been working on. I know it'd not to that point yet but how much were you thinking of selling the swaps for when it gets that far and granted it all works.

My Cars
    1989 524tdA
    Quote Originally Posted by e34Mpower525i View Post
    Looks good is it a BMW factory rack? Looks a lot better than the conversion I've been working on. I know it'd not to that point yet but how much were you thinking of selling the swaps for when it gets that far and granted it all works.
    don't want to rush ahead, but will have to count all the costs related to this and then 'll see, hopefully at the end of next week I'll already know the numbers

My Cars
    1993 BMW 525i

don't want to rush ahead, but will have to count all the costs related to this and then 'll see, hopefully at the end of next week I'll already know the numbers
    Alright sounds good man let me know

My Cars
    540i
    Quote Originally Posted by kniggit View Post
    +1
    Adjusted the steering box and the steering column during my recent manual conversion, tight as a fishes arsehole.
    Hmm manual.... Lucky bugger, my entire front end is all new, lemforder everywhere cept for the UCA's which are wokke sphericals. I adjusted my box about a year ago but was not sure just how far to go with it, right now we cannot set the alignment due to the box, wiggle the wheel and the input shaft moves but the output doesnt! Will try to adjust it again but more worried I tighten it too much and it chews itself out.

Sorry for the hijack guys, but us aussies wont be able to re-engineer the steering anyway, big brother will ream us!

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.6is
    I did everything new, then a new box (<$1000.) and lastly a new pump ($350) which made the on center steering great. There is so much pressure that the pump has to put out, and the pressure is what takes the slop away when the engine is running... so it made sense to me to try a new pump. I feel that it is very good, but still not like a car with a rack. BUT I think BMW wanted the e34 5 series to be an executive commuting car and not a sports car, so in their thinking the box is better suited to the feel they were looking for.

Would I prefer a good rack? Of course! But at this point I am done searching for a sports car in my e34; I'm tired and am focused on other things now like my motorcycle.

Very frustrating process looking for steering nirvana in my e34, because when I got there it was BMW's idea of nirvana and not mine.

I hope the OP's project works out well. The e34 community needs more than executive steering because some of us think 25 mph over the limit is still way too slow.
    2003 X5 4.6is Imola/Imola... The beast!
    2001 525it japanrot/gray... sold 2014
    1995 540i/6 speed... Sold 2014
    '87 928 S4 5 speed.. Sold 2011
    Honda 5518 tractor
    Honda CR500AF

My Cars
    e30 328i/e34 540i
    so interested.
    1995 540i/6 Calypso/Parchment
    1991 328i/5 Granite Silver/Crimson M52/ZF

540i/6 Facebook Group
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/255094164524598/

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Looks good so far. Hope it fits. Looking forward to installed photos!

My Cars
    540i
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlfromBoston View Post
    I did everything new, then a new box (<$1000.) and lastly a new pump ($350) which made the on center steering great. There is so much pressure that the pump has to put out, and the pressure is what takes the slop away when the engine is running... so it made sense to me to try a new pump.
    Interesting, our pump has to drive the hydroboost brake system too so its working pretty hard I suppose, and likely to be a different pump too. Will have to investigate the cost of a new pump, 350 bucks is small change after what this car has had invested!

My Cars
    E34 535i
    Updates?

My Cars
    1989 524tdA
    Updates are pictureless, because the shop had to be made free for a different car, but I've managed to install the thing, the wheels are turning in the correct direction, and things looking good for the 6 cyl engines. my v12 exhaust manifolds come too close to the inlet pipes of the rack (I believe it might be similar with the v8, so there will be some thinking to do, the angle for the linkage from column to the rack is very ok, no problems turning the wheels, but another bracket will have to be developed at the pedal box. to keep the column steady in place but all in all everything goes well, if will get the chance will make some pictures of the first fitment

stay tuned
    Last edited by riddlerLV; 07-18-2012 at 06:07 PM.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Subscribed. If this works then please check bump steer and post results. If bump steer passes I would definitely be interested in the rack, and support brackets to mount it on my subframe and priced as a DIY kit. Is the rack going to be sourced as new or rebuilt?
    demet

My Cars
    1989 524tdA
    let's get it all going then will think of what/how/how much etc?

to avoid misconceptions, - what do you mean by bump steer?
    Last edited by riddlerLV; 07-18-2012 at 06:14 PM.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by riddlerLV View Post
    let's get it all going then will think of what/how/how much etc?

to avoid misconceptions, - what do you mean by bump steer?
    No problem, you're doing something interesting so take your time and get it right.

Bump steer is the change in toe as the tire/wheel is moved upwards through it's entire suspension travel. This is not a good thing to have.

Here's a better definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_steer

When we lower our suspensions bump steer can become a problem because the suspension geometry is changed.

Sometimes we can counteract this type of bump steer by using a strut adapter plate like this: http://www.teamdfl.com/bmw/e28/steer...t_spacers.html

This type of plate puts the tie rods in a better angle and reduces bump steer. Obviously you want to be able to make a rack and pinion steering setup that doen't have bump steer to begin with.

cheers.
    demet

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast