Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M3 Clutch and flywheel install on 1999 318ti M44- F1 Racing stage 2

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by mmark. View Post
    The pic in post #7 is how you install the disc when the factory flywheel is used.
    With the F1 flywheel, it has to be installed in the opposite direction, ie, thick side facing flywheel.

Post #11....Correct.

m
    I'm installing what I think is an F1 Racing Stage 2 clutch on a Stock E36 M3 (S52) flywheel. When I mounted the clutch with the flywheel sticker towards the flywheel it looked like the springs sticking out (the fat side) would contact the flywheel bolts. I flipped it and it seemed like everything bolted up smoothly. I'm going to call Griptech tomorrow, but what you said makes sense. I'm going to test it by putting it in 5th gear and turning the engine over, then seeing if the clutch will disengage. There were no instructions, where did you find this? Thanks.
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    1995 325i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudbase View Post
    I'm installing what I think is an F1 Racing Stage 2 clutch on a Stock E36 M3 (S52) flywheel. When I mounted the clutch with the flywheel sticker towards the flywheel it looked like the springs sticking out (the fat side) would contact the flywheel bolts. I flipped it and it seemed like everything bolted up smoothly. I'm going to call Griptech tomorrow, but what you said makes sense. I'm going to test it by putting it in 5th gear and turning the engine over, then seeing if the clutch will disengage. There were no instructions, where did you find this? Thanks.

With the stock Dual Mass flywheel you would install the clutch with the fat side facing towards the pressure plate and most of the times with a LightWeight Flywheel/sprung clutch combo you install the clutch with the fat side facing towards the flywheel.

-Taylor

My Cars
    1999 318ti M sports pack
    Cloudbase,

I learned the hard way, and had to remove the transmission all over again, you have to be careful; i have heard of a few cases where people have installed this clutch the wrong way and it welds itself to the pressure plate.
    It has been almost a year since my install, so i had to reread my post. I uploaded a PDF document detailing how to install a Stage 2 F1 Clutch w/ F1 Chromoly Flywheel & supplied SACHS pressure plate. I talked to gripforce and the technician said to install it with the fat(sprung) side of the clutch facing the flywheel, which is what it shows on my document.

I have not had any issues with it installed this way, and it has been driving great after my 750 mile break in period. Good luck!!

With the stock Dual Mass flywheel you would install the clutch with the fat side facing towards the pressure plate and most of the times with a LightWeight Flywheel/sprung clutch combo you install the clutch with the fat side facing towards the flywheel.

-Taylor
    <-----------He is correct! Thanks for your quick reply Taylor.
    "That Hood scoops gotta be worth at least 5 horsepower!"

"Theres the right way, the wrong way and the way we are going to do it".

-My dad.

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    Thanks guys. Installing it with the fat side towards the pressure plate made sense when I put the pieces together.

I talked to Grip Force today and tech I talked to said you couldn't use a sprung clutch with a stock flywheel. Obviously you can, as has been stated in this thread. BUT - this car will be up for sale soon, and I don't want to take any chances and burn the new owner or my reputation. I'm going to pull the F1 clutch and pressure plate and install a stock unsprung disk and pressure plate. I can ditch that crappy F1 throw out bearing too. Not stoked to pull it all apart, but it wasn't completely buttoned up yet either. The piece of mine will be worth it.
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    1999 318ti M sports pack
    Thanks guys. Installing it with the fat side towards the pressure plate made sense when I put the pieces together.

I talked to Grip Force today and tech I talked to said you couldn't use a sprung clutch with a stock flywheel. Obviously you can, as has been stated in this thread. BUT - this car will be up for sale soon, and I don't want to take any chances and burn the new owner or my reputation. I'm going to pull the F1 clutch and pressure plate and install a stock unsprung disk and pressure plate. I can ditch that crappy F1 throw out bearing too. Not stoked to pull it all apart, but it wasn't completely buttoned up yet either. The piece of mine will be worth it.
    Cloudbase,

I totally missed the part in your first post about you using a stock flywheel with an F1 sprung clutch. I just assumed you were installing the kit, sorry if i sounded like a broken record on my response. I am glad you have a game plan though for your soon to be sold car, it is always a gamble sometimes mixing aftermarket with stock, so i think you are making a wise decision going full stock to sell the car. then you can let the new owner make that decision. Stadrift11 was right on target.

-My dad.

My Cars
    BMWs Porsche Land Rover
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamcglennon View Post
    Cloudbase,

I learned the hard way, and had to remove the transmission all over again, you have to be careful; i have heard of a few cases where people have installed this clutch the wrong way and it welds itself to the pressure plate.
    It has been almost a year since my install, so i had to reread my post. I uploaded a PDF document detailing how to install a Stage 2 F1 Clutch w/ F1 Chromoly Flywheel & supplied SACHS pressure plate. I talked to gripforce and the technician said to install it with the fat(sprung) side of the clutch facing the flywheel, which is what it shows on my document.

I have not had any issues with it installed this way, and it has been driving great after my 750 mile break in period. Good luck!!

<-----------He is correct! Thanks for your quick reply Taylor.
    Ya I learned the hard way too. First tranny wouldn't go in all the way I thought it was just tight and shoved it in . Was missing like 2 mm for tranny to go in all the way but shoved it in. 1st started the car and whining noise then disappeared after 3 min. I thought I didn't properly oil some oring anyway. Clutch in all the way would grind so installed clutch stop. Long story short drove 15 -20 miles went back to my garage and ripped everything apart in one night. 3 glasses of Scotch later and about 6 hrs of labor i found that the pilots bearing sleeve tip was bent cracke and torn to pieces as it was grinding against clutch as the clutch was in the WRONG FKN WAY! INSTRUCTIONS GIVE YOU WRONG FKN WAY + what throws you off is instructions say follow FKN Service Manual WTF! OK so glad it dindn't do any more damage so will be putting it in again tonight FAT SIDE FACING LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL TOWARDS THE ENGINE PEOPLE! Or you will end up breaking something and doing the job twice! My car is e46 m3 and I bought Grip force stage 2 clutch and steel light weight flywheel not aluminum. 14-15 pounds. Almost half weight of stock or so. GripForce is good stuff they sent me SACHS pressure plate clutch is SACHs too, and I think the only thing they make is the flywheel. Also got Pilot bearing and throwout bearing with the kit for 6 bills off ebay. Same shit sells in a store for over 1 K. So if you read somewhere that this is shit product it's probably installed BACKWARDS hence it failed! INSTALL CORRECT THE FIRST TIME ==============ENGINE<-FLYWHEEL-<-FAT-SITDE of CLUTCH-<-Pressure plate. DONE.

My Cars
    1999 318ti M sports pack
    Labedra,

Glad to hear you got it all back together! Those transmissions are not fun when your trying to get the driveshaft pin in place without damaging anything. Which is where the scotch comes in handy, thats why i want to build a nice mini bar in my garage. Someday i guess.

Also, I agree; the gripforce kit is a nice kit for the $$, i was impressed by the flywheel, happy they included a sachs pressure plate and completely unimpressed by their instructions. When i actually called the first time to ask the orientation, they guys tells me "well, theres a sticker on the outside of the bag on the side you should install toward the flywheel". In which i responded "How the hell am i supposed to know that! Who pays attention to an unmarked orange sticker on the outside of the bag? Especially when the instructions do not mention it?" That's when they sent me to a tech, and i got all the answers i needed.

-My dad.

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    Yeah Alex. It feels like it is riding on the flywheel bolts. Made me nervous but all was well on both the vehicles I swapped.
    I used the M5 friction discs though, due to track activity.

m

My Cars
    1998 318ti
    I will be doing a clutch replacement on a 1998 318ti I just bought and am thinking about going this way. Any new upudates on this thread? I was hoping to put in a lighter flywheel and a sportier clutch. I'm seeing the kit for about $430 from grip force. Is there anything I should be cautious of when i do this?

My Cars
    95 bmw m3
    Quote Originally Posted by gjohnson80 View Post
    I will be doing a clutch replacement on a 1998 318ti I just bought and am thinking about going this way. Any new upudates on this thread? I was hoping to put in a lighter flywheel and a sportier clutch. I'm seeing the kit for about $430 from grip force. Is there anything I should be cautious of when i do this?
    Buy OEM tob n pilot bearing

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffriderisback View Post
    Buy OEM tob n pilot bearing
    Those should be included with a clutch kit.

My Cars
    95 bmw m3
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post

Those should be included with a clutch kit.
    Yes they are but the quality is not the best. Better off spending extra 30$ and get oem/ Sachs bearing. You can use the one in the kit but I doubt it ll last as long as the oem Sachs.
    Last edited by Ruffriderisback; 04-08-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Hi guys
    Anymore updates it opinions on these clutch kits?
    I'm looking at replacing the clutch in my 1.9 supercharged z3. The f1 seems great value but I'm nervous To good to be true?

My Cars
    95 bmw m3
    Quote Originally Posted by shanez View Post
    Hi guys
    Anymore updates it opinions on these clutch kits?
    I'm looking at replacing the clutch in my 1.9 supercharged z3. The f1 seems great value but I'm nervous To good to be true?
    M
    I have f1 stage 2 ,works great no complain. Just dont use thier tob

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Also running this kit on my S52. Works great, 1500 miles on it so far. Dont use the pilot or throwout bearings that come with the kit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12