Thread: Another intake thread?!?! NOPE just a question!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i

Exclamation Another intake thread?!?! NOPE just a question!

(ALSO ON A SIDE NOTE: There used to be a very very very long intake thread I was following a year or two ago. Does anyone know where it is? It was at least 50 pages long)

I figured i'd ask here with all the knowledgeable people we have on our forum.

So my daily is going to be my mom's lexus is250 since she just got a new car. And i've been doing research on basic mods. So as it turns out the general consensus on every forum is that intakes don't really do anything. Being a forum member for the last couple years we've beat this topic to death and then some.

Here is my question. Why and how are these companies posting gains of +15-20 HP. While dyno results are proving a very very minimal gain or EVEN a loss of HP?

And even though most people say its a placebo effect, how come we get better gas mileage. Surely this isn't a placebo. I got at LEAST 2 MPG more when I had my AFE intake on the e36.

Just wanna get a couple things straight. Cause at the end of the day intakes sound sick as fvck. Especially on japanese cars
    Last edited by FadetoCrimson1; 07-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    You ride in a Mercedes, You Drive a BMW

-Andy

My Cars
    325is
    Some cars do see more of a hp gain from a true cai. Not short rams like everyone uses.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    The reason why i posted this is because I think dyno tests aren't an efficient way to rate HP(for CAI's at least). Call me crazy but during a real drive on the road there's air coming in from all different directions. When a car is on a dyno only the fan up front is supplying the air. I feel like if one DID have a CAI the dyno wouldn't be able to pick up the gains simple because the air isn't being picked up the same way as it is real time on the street.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    You ride in a Mercedes, You Drive a BMW

-Andy