Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW e30 bumper swap

My Cars
    1991 325i e30

BMW e30 bumper swap

Hi All.

In the market for an e30. I've been looking at a few pre 88's...however they have the dreadful chrome metal bumpers.......where could I find some plastic bumpers kits to replace the metals bumpers for pre 88 models. Does anyone have experience with the cost? labor/parts?

Thanks!!

My Cars
    '87 BMW 325is 80k miles
    Its not an easy bolt on swap..... Don't know to much. There are a few threads with info.

My Cars
    1991 325i e30
    Quote Originally Posted by millsamus View Post
    Its not an easy bolt on swap..... Don't know to much. There are a few threads with info.
    can you link the threads please...

If I bought one of these kits ...got it sprayed can I just drop it off at my body shop with no problems putting it on? ALSO do you think the kit freshly painted will look odd with the older body paint mix?

http://www.carbodykitstore.com/bmw-s...=438_1144_1145
    Last edited by dak1b; 07-06-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    88 iX, 92 325i,01 325xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by dak1b View Post
    can you link the threads please...

If I bought one of these kits ...got it sprayed can I just drop it off at my body shop with no problems putting it on? ALSO do you think the kit freshly painted will look odd with the older body paint mix?

http://www.carbodykitstore.com/bmw-s...=438_1144_1145
    DON'T.....DO.....IT! There is a 90% or better chance that there will be problems, and the paint needs to be professionally matched and blended. But even if installation is not a problem and the paint matches the result will still look like crap.

If you like the plastic bumpers buy an 89 or later, or an 88 which makes the swap easier. Cheap body kits and almost all expensive ones just make the car look worse.

My Cars
    1991 325i e30
    All work done would be professional. Any other opinions?

this was one of the e30's i was looking at: everything looks good except those metal bumpers...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3097173001.html
    Last edited by dak1b; 07-06-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '03 530i 5 sp
    The bumper swap has been well documented. Google "BMW E30 bumper swap". Depending on your skills you could do it. The front is easier than the back. I ended paying too much for my parts but it was worth it. Had to get an OEM valence from the dealer because the one I got on eBay was junk. Had a pro match and paint the pieces and it turned out better than I'd hoped. I just got a Hartge rear apron to finish off the rear.
    I agree with the post above not to do the aftermarket body kits. Many have had bad experiences with the fiberglass kits in terms of fit, finish and quality. Also agree to wait for a plastic bumper car or an '88 as that is the only models where the front and rear are more of a direct swap.
    2003 530i -- DD; 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe -- fun car; 1990 325i convertible -- sold; 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 -- sold; 1989 325i sedan -- sold; 1983 633CSi -- sold; 1982 323i -- sold

My Cars
    1991 325i e30
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinweiss E30 View Post
    The bumper swap has been well documented. Google "BMW E30 bumper swap". Depending on your skills you could do it. The front is easier than the back. I ended paying too much for my parts but it was worth it. Had to get an OEM valence from the dealer because the one I got on eBay was junk. Had a pro match and paint the pieces and it turned out better than I'd hoped. I just got a Hartge rear apron to finish off the rear.
    I agree with the post above not to do the aftermarket body kits. Many have had bad experiences with the fiberglass kits in terms of fit, finish and quality. Also agree to wait for a plastic bumper car or an '88 as that is the only models where the front and rear are more of a direct swap.
    Ok great. thank you! What body kit would you recommend? How much did you end up spending fro everything? parts/labor/respray ?

My Cars
    '03 530i 5 sp
    I got used OEM parts - valence, lip, f&r bumper shocks, f&r reinforcement bars, f&r covers and trim - for about $400 plus shipping. I installed the front valence (had to spend $170 more at dealer for a new one since the one I got was very rough).
    Body shop charged me $600 for prep and paint - that included them fixing and painting a dent in my passenger side fender and straightening out some crap in the back. The fog lights were also used and were around $50 shipped.
    Hartge stuff needs paint and pro installation, but I picked up the apron, side skirts and trunk spoiler for $102.50
    Pickings are very slim here for plastic bumper cars but you may get lucky since you're in Cali.
    If you want to send me your email, I can send some pics your way. I have a few before and after shots.
    Good luck in your search.
    2003 530i -- DD; 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe -- fun car; 1990 325i convertible -- sold; 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 -- sold; 1989 325i sedan -- sold; 1983 633CSi -- sold; 1982 323i -- sold

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325 coupe
    I dont know why people say its so hard blabla.. I did the swap in an hour,the front just bolts right up. The back you just put the bumper on,cut half an inch on both sides and your done!!

CraigsImage1049759582.jpg

86 325 Daily/Project

My Cars
    90' 24v, 89' 325is
    for the additional price of plastic bumpers you could just buy a facelift model with them. which would look 1000x better since the car will actually have a rear valance underneath the rear bumper. not just a bumper with a gaping area missing underneath it.

Don't waste your money on a pre-facelift if you want a facelift. Buy the car you want and be done with it.

My Cars
    1991 325i e30

My Cars
    a few e30s
    I wish there was a smiley with a guy with glasses rubbing his eyes. Cuz thats how this thread makes me feel.

My Cars
    90' 24v, 89' 325is
    No. no aftermarket kit is worth buying. if you plan to have a body shop install them you can tack on another $1000 to have them heavily covered with body filler and screwed onto the car in a terrible way. the aftermarket kits come completely deformed and they shatter very easily. like my previous post just stated, you will spend more money trying to make your car look like a facelift car than you would just buyign a facelift car.

when i say the aftermarket body kits are deformed and will cost hundreds of dollars to get to look half decent, I'm saying it from personal expierence. I'm not just some ignorant purist telling you not to do it because its not how it came from the factory. I spent hours with fiberglass and body filler getting the kit reasonably straight and had to fab some foberglass mounts to go onto the bumper which could bolt to the car.

My Cars
    1985 BMW E30 318i
    610Euro, what front bumper set up is that? Is that just something like this;

http://dtmfiberwerkz.com/access/style-front-p-50.html

It would bolt right up to my front end? Aside from cutting my front tow hooks, which is needed correct?

My Cars
    87 e30 325i
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/tech/bumper/bumper1.htm

doing the swap really doesn't seem that hard but have you looked into tucking the bumpers
    Last edited by owen94; 07-07-2012 at 10:02 AM.

My Cars
    88 iX, 92 325i,01 325xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by owen94 View Post

doing the swap really doesn't seem that hard but have you looking into tucking the bumpers
    Did you read the post you referred to? And I quote:

"Before you foolishly start on this project, I want you to all know how involving and skillful a conversion this is. It requires in depth fabrication, modification, material forming and some electrical work. This is not something most people can, or should attempt. If you are not sure that you possess the skills to properly pull the conversion off, then leave it to the professionals. No one likes halfass fitted body parts.'

And that's Jordan. He can be a little grumpy, but he also knows what he's doing.

Good for you to consider too, OP.

My Cars
    87 e30 325i

Not mine but its got to be one of the nicest tucks I've seen
    Last edited by owen94; 07-09-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: not related

My Cars
    88 iX, 92 325i,01 325xiT
    replacing quarters, rocker panels, floor pan, jacking points etc. on a e36 is a lot harder than doing a bumper conversion i think
    Which is completely beside the point. Most don't have the ability to do either of these projects, so which is more difficult is irrelevant.

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    If you purchase a vehicle that was produced before 7/87 you could convert it from diving board bumpers to the factory euro bumpers they can be found used or ordred new through a dealer, there are two version Chorme and painted "sport" as seen on my car below.
    The front bumper is a direct fit you just need to get the euro mounts the rear bumper you need to drill 4 holes very easy to do.

The rear bumper on my car has the factory M technic one rear apron. front spoiler in the pic is a Zender No longer on the car.
    These older pics I now have a complete MT1 kit
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 07-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Click here to join the Baur international community on G+
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...05332828437111

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by owen94

replacing quarters, rocker panels, floor pan, jacking points etc. on a e36 is a lot harder than doing a bumper conversion i think

A bumper conversion is about 10x easier than doing that, lol. A bumper conversion can be done and it isn't as difficult as some people make it out to be. I honestly believe some people do things and put them on forums and throw on the "omg its so hard to do but I did it so look at me".

As for paint, I would have a shop match the paint. Otherwise you are going to look fairly "salvage title"

My Cars
    1991 325i e30
    Quote Originally Posted by 610EURO View Post
    No. no aftermarket kit is worth buying. if you plan to have a body shop install them you can tack on another $1000 to have them heavily covered with body filler and screwed onto the car in a terrible way. the aftermarket kits come completely deformed and they shatter very easily. like my previous post just stated, you will spend more money trying to make your car look like a facelift car than you would just buyign a facelift car.

when i say the aftermarket body kits are deformed and will cost hundreds of dollars to get to look half decent, I'm saying it from personal expierence. I'm not just some ignorant purist telling you not to do it because its not how it came from the factory. I spent hours with fiberglass and body filler getting the kit reasonably straight and had to fab some foberglass mounts to go onto the bumper which could bolt to the car.
    Ok...so aftermarket is out. thanks for the advice!! Unfornatley I have to get a car soon..so hopefully a 89+ goes up for sale around my area. If not i'll have to settle with a pre model, which is fine with me. I just want to own a e30

doing the swap really doesn't seem that hard but have you looked into tucking the bumpers
    haven't really thought too much about tucking the bumpers....do you have a pic showing what this looks like? before after?

Quote Originally Posted by THEPOOLEMAN View Post
    If you purchase a vehicle that was produced before 7/87 you could convert it from diving board bumpers to the factory euro bumpers they can be found used or ordred new through a dealer, there are two version Chorme and painted "sport" as seen on my car below.
    The front bumper is a direct fit you just need to get the euro mounts the rear bumper you need to drill 4 holes very easy to do.

The rear bumper on my car has the factory M technic one rear apron. front spoiler in the pic is a Zender No longer on the car.
    These older pics I now have a complete MT1 kit
    ya the euro bumpers looks nice. how much do they run new from the dealer?
    Last edited by dak1b; 07-07-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    90' 24v, 89' 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTM View Post
    610Euro, what front bumper set up is that? Is that just something like this;

http://dtmfiberwerkz.com/access/style-front-p-50.html

It would bolt right up to my front end? Aside from cutting my front tow hooks, which is needed correct?
    the front bumper on my car is a completely stock facelift bumper.

if you purchase the oem parts, yes, all you need to do is remove the tow hook and bolt the front end on.

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Ok...so aftermarket is out. thanks for the advice!! Unfornatley I have to get a car soon..so hopefully a 89+ goes up for sale around my area. If not i'll have to settle with a pre model, which is fine with me. I just want to own a e30

haven't really thought too much about tucking the bumpers....do you have a pic showing what this looks like? before after?

ya the euro bumpers looks nice. how much do they run new from the dealer?
    New they will be pretty steep your best bet would be used I figure a reasonible price for a set maybe $500.00 $600.00 .
    here's a link to real OEM http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...33&hg=51&fg=15 that will take you to the front euro bumper.
    I may switch my painted to brand new chromes ( I have a new front it's not for sale ) I may sell my sport's however, not before the fall.
    My advice is find the car 1st then worry about the bumpers, spend more upfront and get the best E30 you can find.
    I agree with everyone in the thread don't put a aftermarket fiberglass body kit on it. Rice is not nice ! Zender, Hartge, Alpina, BMW M technic are all exceptable.
    Good luck in the hunt for you new E30
    Last edited by THEPOOLEMAN; 07-07-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    Click here to join the Baur international community on G+
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...05332828437111

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325es coupe
    Here is a nice write up in how to tuck your front and rear bumpers

http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1476

My Cars
    1991 325i e30
    Quote Originally Posted by Loganwept View Post
    Here is a nice write up in how to tuck your front and rear bumpers

http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1476
    ya tucking the bumpers seems like a def option. how much would it cost to tuck both bumpers? if i wanted to convert to plastic bumper later would tucking have any effects?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast