Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Best head unit on E36?

My Cars
    '12 135i Dinan S2
    Besides the Clarion unit that can be had for around $130 (from a UK seller), I think the second best option might be a CD43 with a Grom adapter. I used the DICE Bluetooth Mediabridge in my 330i and in my S4 and I wasn't really impressed. Sound quality was never as good as a conventional 3.5mm Aux input and the units always seemed buggy and never worked quite right. Other than using it for phone calls, bluetooth Audi streaming via A2DP significantly reduces sound quality. I'm currently using a tape adapter in my C43 and I feel like I'm in the ghetto. I may have to bite the bullet on the Clarion FZ102E.

Past: 1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
    Present: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Dinan S2, 1985 BMW 325e

My Cars
    95 M3, RIP 95 ACS S3 M3
    X-brace, ACS fr strut brace, RSMs/Z3, RTABs, TMS sways, eibach springs, MM underpanel, UUC lt fly, 3.5 Samco elbow & MAF, JConforti chip, AA pipe, Al coolant bits, SS brake & clutch lines, LTW seats & door cards, GT intl CF trim, no center console, UUC EVO3, M5 lit knob

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC

Blaupunky Toronto BPTRN420BT

works great
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RRSperry; 10-29-2014 at 09:51 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post

Blaupunky Toronto BPTRN420BT

works great
    Is the illumination on the round dials adjustable?
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    Is the illumination on the round dials adjustable?
    No, they stay blue all the time.

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    I'm pretty happy with my JVC Arsenal KDAHD75BT.

I did modify it a little, took off the glossy cover over the screen, and masked off some of the glowing lines on the face of the head unit.

Here's what the head unit looks like stock:

And after I did some changes to it:

Sorry for the terrible picture, my phone would just not focus or expose correctly.

That Clarion would almost be perfect, but the knob looks really off to me being in the dead center.

My biggest gripe, besides not having adjustable colors, with most head units is the fact that they use glossy covers on the displays. If you look at OEM head units, most use matte or non reflective finishes everywhere inside of the car. The gloss just looks so out of place in most cars.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 10-31-2014 at 05:58 AM.

My Cars
    97 Estoril Blue M3 Coupe
    How's it working so far?
    I was reading a couple of reviews about them and some people was having issues and customer service wasn't very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shaft9ii View Post
    I really like the Parrot Asteroid Smart, but it definitely took some work to get it in there:

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    I haven't had any real issues yet. the little removable "security bar" akin to a detachable faceplate is a bit finicky, but that's about it so far. It's been pretty solid. I haven't updated to the newest OS version yet, but in general I'm pretty happy with it.

My Cars
    97 Estoril Blue M3 Coupe
    Good to hear that. I have been thinking of getting one of these for my e36.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    Just be aware, you either need to be handy with working on the car, or be prepared to pay someone to do it. You'll need to do some cutting, heat gunning of venting behind the radio, and then some fabrication of trim panels if you want it looking really good. It's a lot of work.

My Cars
    UFO
    Just installed a Kenwood BT558U receiver. Sounds great. Bluetooth audio and hands free calling rocks!

Last edited by VLT; 11-01-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    CURRENT: LimeRockParkEdition E92 M3 - BSM/Silverstone E70 X5M - AW/Dove E36 M3
    PAST: Techno/Dove E36 M3 - Techno/Dove E36 M3 - LSB/Black E46 M3

My Cars
    '12 135i Dinan S2
    ^^ Looks nice. Any daytime shots?

Past: 1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
    Present: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Dinan S2, 1985 BMW 325e

My Cars
    UFO
    Quote Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
    ^^ Looks nice. Any daytime shots?
    I'll have to get some tomorrow
    CURRENT: LimeRockParkEdition E92 M3 - BSM/Silverstone E70 X5M - AW/Dove E36 M3
    PAST: Techno/Dove E36 M3 - Techno/Dove E36 M3 - LSB/Black E46 M3

My Cars
    97 Estoril Blue M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by shaft9ii View Post
    Just be aware, you either need to be handy with working on the car, or be prepared to pay someone to do it. You'll need to do some cutting, heat gunning of venting behind the radio, and then some fabrication of trim panels if you want it looking really good. It's a lot of work.
    I thought you didn't have to cut the vents with this one. It's teally short compared to the other double din stereos out there.?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by takuma M3 View Post
    I thought you didn't have to cut the vents with this one. It's teally short compared to the other double din stereos out there.?
    Correct, no cutting of the vents needed; without a CD/DVD player in it it's pretty shallow, but you'll need to deform the heating vents with a heat gun to give it just enough space. It's not too bad. You'll need to cut the plastic framework for the OEM radio and heater controls, then shift everything downward. Decide if you want the OBC or sunglass holder, you can't have both. All in all it's just a time sink to make it look good, that's all.

My Cars
    97 Estoril Blue M3 Coupe
    Ah ok, It's not that bad.
    Thanks for your input and clearing out some of my questions.
    sorry to the op for the thread jack.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Here is the Nakamichi

Last edited by boykinjw; 11-02-2014 at 11:15 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    That looks pretty good!
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    97 Estoril Blue M3 Coupe
    nice…..any more pictures from farther away.?

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    how are the real world performances of these head units? Blaupunkt, Kenwood, Clarion, Nakamichi? I might also upgrade the amp and speakers. So from what I've read it's best to spend the most on your speakers, then amp, then head unit, correct?

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    how are the real world performances of these head units? Blaupunkt, Kenwood, Clarion, Nakamichi? I might also upgrade the amp and speakers. So from what I've read it's best to spend the most on your speakers, then amp, then head unit, correct?
    I quoted one of my earlier posts below. I good sounding system will come from the speakers and amp. About a month or so ago I did the system I described below (minus the iPhone/ipod integration bit), and I couldn't be happier. I mounted the LC6i in place of the factory amp, and didn't need to mess around with any of the wiring with the rest of the car. The car looks 100% OEM and sounds worlds better running an Alpine 300 Watt RMS 4 channel amp to MB Quart component speakers (5.25" front and 6x9" rear).

Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    Personally, I am not really planning on getting rid of my OEM unit as I think it looks best for the car. More or less, I think most of the meat from a good sounding system is in the amp, speakers, and crossovers. I am fortunate b/c I have a good set of speakers and aftermarket amp from my old car.

I am planning on running an Audiocontrol LC6i in order to use my factory deck with the aftermarket amp (great piece of hardware, and can be bought on ebay for as little as $100).

http://www.audiocontrol.com/222456/p...r----LC6i.html

For iPhone/iPod integration I'll use a Bavsound Soundplicity Control 2 ($160) in the location of the original factory cd changer. Should be able to control some iPhone/ipod music directly from the factory head unit as well.

http://www.bavsound.com/Device-Integration/

I know that this stuff isn't 100% applicable to this thread, but wanted to mention it as a good alternative if anyone is attached to their OEM head unit and is also planning on making their system sound leaps and bounds better with a good set of speakers and amp. I much rather keep my M3 looking OEM inside, and have a great sounding system.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    I dig my old Alpine (specs in Siggy) and I have a hardwired jack that I plug into my Zune or Phone. The color match is great. Would only upgrade to add HD radio.

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    any reviews on the sony mex-gs810bh or alpine hd-149bt?

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    The Alpine is great.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Yeah I expect it to be good, but from comparing specs the sony seems to be as good and much cheaper. But then as I read more, I found out Sony has a history of inflating specs so I guess I'll get another alpine...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast