Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Best head unit on E36?

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    only major thing that would make that head unit perfect is that it doesn't have BlueTooth. It's nice to stream out Pandora through the phone, although you could just use AUX cable.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    As appropriate a fit as the cd43 might be bluetooth and usb are pretty much a minimum requirement for me to consider swapping head units.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    only major thing that would make that head unit perfect is that it doesn't have BlueTooth. It's nice to stream out Pandora through the phone, although you could just use AUX cable.
    I would probably use the USB more often for streaming because it charges your phone at the same time.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Right, but will it actually work? I know some audio devices USB don't really jive with IPOD play-out. I think that's how my CX-5 is.., but then it has Bluetooth so if I want to charge it I just hook it up and still use BlueTooth.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by crashgordan View Post
    sweet clarion! on the hunt...

any idea what shipping to the US ran?
    +1
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    Bluetooth and an OEM look would be the only thing to pry me away from the factory headunit. Tapedeck aux in works beautifully for me but I would love to not have to go through the trouble of plugging in my phone.

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Crustashio View Post
    Bluetooth and an OEM look would be the only thing to pry me away from the factory headunit. Tapedeck aux in works beautifully for me but I would love to not have to go through the trouble of plugging in my phone.
    if u want to buy more crap there are ways around this. there are bluetooth aux adapters, cheep too.

add wireless charging somewhere and boom awsome setup.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Personally, I am not really planning on getting rid of my OEM unit as I think it looks best for the car. More or less, I think most of the meat from a good sounding system is in the amp, speakers, and crossovers. I am fortunate b/c I have a good set of speakers and aftermarket amp from my old car.

I am planning on running an Audiocontrol LC6i in order to use my factory deck with the aftermarket amp (great piece of hardware, and can be bought on ebay for as little as $100).

http://www.audiocontrol.com/222456/p...r----LC6i.html

For iPhone/iPod integration I'll use a Bavsound Soundplicity Control 2 ($160) in the location of the original factory cd changer. Should be able to control some iPhone/ipod music directly from the factory head unit as well.

http://www.bavsound.com/Device-Integration/

I know that this stuff isn't 100% applicable to this thread, but wanted to mention it as a good alternative if anyone is attached to their OEM head unit and is also planning on making their system sound leaps and bounds better with a good set of speakers and amp. I much rather keep my M3 looking OEM inside, and have a great sounding system.
    Last edited by bimma360; 03-11-2014 at 10:52 PM.

My Cars
    BMW
    ^ I wouldn't go that route, I tried it all and eventually gave up and got a Kenwood deck that color matches perfectly

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    I bought a Kenwood KDC-BT855U and it's a great match to our car. It has bluetooth, handsfree calling, satellite ready, and the colors match our interior perfectly. Here is another thread that someone put up with pics, if you scroll the first few posts you'll see pics of it. I'm extremely happy with mine. The sound clarity actually improved, it fits perfectly, colors are perfect, and doesn't look all gizmo like in the dash. It's a very clean look.

Link to thread with pics: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...headunit-radio
    MODS: AA SC'D Rotrex C38-92 Stage 2 (60# injectors)==M50 Manifold==Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Meth Kit==Schrick 264/256 Cams==AA Ceramic Coated Headers==AA Trackpipe==Eisenmann Race 2x76==Clutch Master FX250 Clutch==Euro Oil Cooler==MANN Provent 200 Crankcase Catch Can==AA DSB== X-Brace==ZKW 6000K HID FX-R retrofit with Orion V2 L.E.D. Angel Eyes==Euro clear signals and tail lights==M-Tech Pedals and E-Brake==BBS RGR Diamond Black 17x8; 17x9 staggered==Leather Z Gauge Kit (oil temp, oil press, voltage)==Rally Road Guage Pod (steering wheel mounted with AEM AFR guage and Prosport boost gauge)==Cut-ring head gasket==Head refresh done by Autohead Performance==KW V2 Coilover Kit

Current with 85mm pulley and meth: 450 whp 365 wtq @ 13 psi on a Dynojet at Performance Eurowerks in Buffalo Grove, IL.
    Previous: AA Mustang Dyno Tuned in Miami, FL @ 10 psi on 93 pump made 392whp 325wtq (
    Performance Eurowerks Dynojet in Buffalo Grove, IL was 410 whp and 325 wtq @ 10 psi)

My Cars
    540i
    The colors match at night, but that's it. Style of the unit, finish of the plastics, and fonts don't match at all.
    86 944 Turbo 3.0L
    95 E36 M3
    06 Cayenne Turbo S

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by 100le View Post
    Just installed Clarion FZ102E in BMW E36 coupe. It fit perfectly and color match is 10/10
    Wow. That's the only HU I've ever seen that I would buy to replace my oem one. I wouldn't even buy a cd43 over that.

My Cars
    2009 328xi Wagon
    Just installed Clarion FZ102E in BMW E36 coupe. It fit perfectly and color match is 10/10

is this compatible with the OEM 6 disc CD changer?

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    I love that Clarion headunit... wish they were available in the US!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Since you brought this thread back... I really like the Nakamichi NA350iBTR I just installed. I'll try and grab a picture with it lit up at night, amber is pretty close.

My Cars
    E36 318is coupe 1997
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    is this compatible with the OEM 6 disc CD changer?
    This is rear side, i dont think there is something useful. At front you have 3.5mm AUX in

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I like this Nakamichi, I think I'll end up going with this one... the illumination is adjustable.

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2009 328xi Wagon
    This is rear side, i dont think there is something useful. At front you have 3.5mm AUX in

Thanks! Unfortunately I do not know if that has everything to use the CD changer in the boot. Anybody know if this will wire up ok with OEM amp and CD changer?

My Cars
    Too many

My Cars
    2009 328xi Wagon
    What about the Sony changer? I thought i had a 6 disc but found a Sony Amp and Sony disc changer (can you tell this car is new to me?)

My Cars
    Too many
    No, the head unit and CD changer need to be the same brand--there may be a few rare cases, I don't recall and it's not worth the time to research. If you have a Sony amp & CD changer, then the PO had it installed.

Back in the late 90s, it was popular to add a CD change to factory head-units using an FM modulator which would broadcast what was played on the CD changer through a radio station, like 88.3, etc. It's possible you have one of those older units. The FM modulated CD changers required a stand alone controller usually mounted somewhere up front.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    I really like the Parrot Asteroid Smart, but it definitely took some work to get it in there:

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2009 328xi Wagon
    Interesting, I thought my Sony setup was OEM, the CD changer is in a compartment that clearly looks original, perhaps PO installed it in place of the OEM 6 disc?

Quote Originally Posted by MMMGP View Post
    No, the head unit and CD changer need to be the same brand--there may be a few rare cases, I don't recall and it's not worth the time to research. If you have a Sony amp & CD changer, then the PO had it installed.

Back in the late 90s, it was popular to add a CD change to factory head-units using an FM modulator which would broadcast what was played on the CD changer through a radio station, like 88.3, etc. It's possible you have one of those older units. The FM modulated CD changers required a stand alone controller usually mounted somewhere up front.

My Cars
    Too many

My Cars
    2009 328xi Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMGP View Post
    Yep, only the convertibles had a trunk carpet lined storage space for the factory changer. Is your current head unit a Sony?
    Yes, Sony head unit, hate it..

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast