Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Best head unit on E36?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Well it's true you can only listen to so much music during a trip. I have an ipod with couple thousand songs but you only play a handful each time.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    I probably spent more than I should to retain an OEM setup by upgrading to a C43 and Bavsound Speakers (major upgrade over c33 output), then ancillary accessories:

Modified Rennline Exact Fit Phone Mount

Running a $60 an LAPower Bluetooth A2Dp Module plugged into c43

Bluetooth Microphone Fitted for Handsfree Calling

At the end of the day, you're likely going to be navigating through your phone more anyway so getting a proper clean phone mount and bluetooth was more important
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 09-21-2022 at 11:21 AM.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I was digging into the entire radio/bluetooth adapter fiasco today, and I came across the BMW "Reverse RDS" radio. It is a cassette player with (I presume?) CD control. Made by Blaupunkt.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm guessing it was a "Euro-spec" radio, not provided to the US market, but I'm not sure. All the others (C33, C43, CD43) I have seen in US cars over the years, but never this one...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    That's an older model radio (within E36 context).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    I probably spent more than I should to retain an OEM setup by upgrading to a C43 and Bavsound Speakers (major upgrade over c33 output), then ancillary accessories:

Modified Rennline Exact Fit Phone Mount

Running a $60 an LAPower Bluetooth A2Dp Module plugged into c43

Bluetooth Microphone Fitted for Handsfree Calling

At the end of the day, you're likely going to be navigating through your phone more anyway so getting a proper clean phone mount and bluetooth was more important
    So much for retaining the old look (good), only to have a big modern phone right next to it.

And a modified "exact fit". Contradictio in terminis right there.

Now install MFL and you can answer calls handsfree (if the module supports it).

IG:

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Okay thank you. Possibly why I never noticed this model. Was it used in us cars?

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    I like what you've done here. How did you route the cable for the phone? I do some commuting and long road trips in my car and a setup like this would be great, though I don't think I could commit to one size phone mount. Its hard to get away from using the phone for me; between maps, streaming and calling I have to figure out some interface where the phone is visible. I see the appeal of being period correct, but I love my creature comforts.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemango View Post
    I like what you've done here. How did you route the cable for the phone? I do some commuting and long road trips in my car and a setup like this would be great, though I don't think I could commit to one size phone mount. Its hard to get away from using the phone for me; between maps, streaming and calling I have to figure out some interface where the phone is visible. I see the appeal of being period correct, but I love my creature comforts.
    Not sure if you are talking to me but if you are...

If you are referring to me, the cable for the phone is just routed through a standard flush mount USB cigarette lighter I got here:
    Amazon.com: USB C Car Charger Adapter 60W, AINOPE iPhone Car Charger Fast Charging, PD 30W & QC 30W USB Car Charger [Flush Fit & All Metal], Compatible with iPhone 14/14 Pro Max/14 Plus & Samsung All Smartphone : Cell Phones & Accessories
    Only problem is that the cable is running from left of the cigarette lighter across to the phone.

IF you really want to get creative and spend money for something more OEM like:
    BMW E36 USB Port – AM Innovation (aminnovationllc.com)
    You can run this to the nearest switch blank in the center console, so the charging cable would just run underneath the phone mount

The phone mount I use is generic, the important thing is the bracket which conforms to the center console. If I wanted to, I could have added a magnetic adapter (instead of a clamp) but never got that far (maybe in the future). That little bracket cost $30 alone and was a special order from rennline because they normally only sell it as a kit.

In any event, if you like my setup as is. PM me and I can sell one to you as I have spare sets since I have been experimenting on the best/cleanest way to mount a phone on the car.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    For the USB port I would use a nice OEM, backlit USB port. These nicely fit the E36 switch spaces

(there is also a singe port version)

IG:

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Some really great information and solutions here. So CD43… what’s the consensus if USB, Bluetooth music, sound quality and no splicing are the major criteria? Which unit is best the Grom, Bluebus or the something else?

Ideally, I’d like to use an iPod in the glovebox for a super clean look and omit the 6 disc changer in the trunk.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    I like this look!

Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    For the USB port I would use a nice OEM, backlit USB port. These nicely fit the E36 switch spaces

(there is also a singe port version)

My Cars
    m3
    MParallel,

Whats the part number for the OEM backlit usb port?

Thanks,

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    That’s some useful 21st century bling!

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan41 View Post
    Some really great information and solutions here. So CD43… what’s the consensus if USB, Bluetooth music, sound quality and no splicing are the major criteria? Which unit is best the Grom, Bluebus or the something else?

Ideally, I’d like to use an iPod in the glovebox for a super clean look and omit the 6 disc changer in the trunk.
    I have that setup with my old Kenwood, and it's nice.
    But I might have to upgrade my iPod for the Blaupunkt to work - not sure how far back it supports iPods. Hopefully I can find some kind of old app to transfer everything from my old iPod to the new one if I have to upgrade.

I like that phone mount, too. I keep my phone on my hand brake right now. Not terrible for around town, but less ideal for keeping track of temps during track sessions.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by lg2k View Post
    MParallel,

Thanks,

Don't know from top of my head, but you should be able to find it on eBay.

IG:

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I have that setup with my old Kenwood, and it's nice.
    But I might have to upgrade my iPod for the Blaupunkt to work - not sure how far back it supports iPods. Hopefully I can find some kind of old app to transfer everything from my old iPod to the new one if I have to upgrade.

I like that phone mount, too. I keep my phone on my hand brake right now. Not terrible for around town, but less ideal for keeping track of temps during track sessions.
    I haven't had to use it in a number of years but Senuti, which is iTunes spelled backwards worked really well when I transfered music from an old U2 4th Gen click wheel iPod to my iTunes.

Anyone have feedback on which aux unit unit works best with the CD43? I've learned the Grom unit is a bit glitchy?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I've been using a Dension Gateway 300 since 2007. Still working fine.

IG:

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I've been looking into this- bought a trunk CD changer for $35 shipped (so, why not?) but I need to order the mount brackets...

I looked into the Gateway 300, and it seems the Gateway 500 is more what I want. That allows retaining the trunk changer in addition to adding Bluetooth, USB and aux-in. Bring it into the 21st century all of a sudden.

But for now, I'll pop the old head unit back in, once I have the changer in hand, and temporarily operate the changer to verify it works fine before I buy the brackets n such to mount it.

There are several very cheap options to replace the changer with a Bluetooth antenna. Like sub-$20. That was tempting as I can stream Pandora from the phone and receive calls hands-free-ish. I think.

One step at a time, I guess.

But the head unit- I think I'll go with the C43, as my car was originally delivered with the C33 (still have it of course) and I appreciate the added features of the C43, while still retaining cassette capability. (I still play with cassette now and again).

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by tiMASTER View Post
    I've been looking into this- bought a trunk CD changer for $35 shipped (so, why not?) but I need to order the mount brackets...

I looked into the Gateway 300, and it seems the Gateway 500 is more what I want. That allows retaining the trunk changer in addition to adding Bluetooth, USB and aux-in. Bring it into the 21st century all of a sudden.

But for now, I'll pop the old head unit back in, once I have the changer in hand, and temporarily operate the changer to verify it works fine before I buy the brackets n such to mount it.

There are several very cheap options to replace the changer with a Bluetooth antenna. Like sub-$20. That was tempting as I can stream Pandora from the phone and receive calls hands-free-ish. I think.

One step at a time, I guess.

But the head unit- I think I'll go with the C43, as my car was originally delivered with the C33 (still have it of course) and I appreciate the added features of the C43, while still retaining cassette capability. (I still play with cassette now and again).
    We were crushed when the tape functionality in the deck in our E32 died. :') Children of the 80s and all that!

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    If it's mechanical; it can be fixed.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by lg2k View Post
    MParallel,

Thanks,
    Based on a quick google search and realoem its from a 2018 X1. Part# 84108711938

I am not sure if there are different versions that are not backlit.
    Current
    -1997 BMW M3 4Door Artic Silver w/ Black Interior Daily

Past
    -2001 BMW 325i
    -1999 BMW M3 Vert White
    -1981 VW Rabbit Pickup (Caddy) 2.0 ABA

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas, I want him to shit his pants." - Enzo Ferrari

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    That appears to be USB3 to me. I’d prefer old fashioned USB, which they still used in 2013, so maybe there is one out there…

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Yes BMW has been doing these for a long time. The older USB A types aren't backlit though. And come in different version, with or without minijack.

USB C is the way to go. I never insert USB A in correctly the first time.

IG:

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I think we all suffer with USB inversion syndrome.

No question the C is better- I just want to keep the 90’s vibe.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Yes BMW has been doing these for a long time. The older USB A types aren't backlit though. And come in different version, with or without minijack.

USB C is the way to go. I never insert USB A in correctly the first time.
    Isn't it funny that you ALWAYS put them in backwards first?

Quote Originally Posted by tiMASTER View Post
    I think we all suffer with USB inversion syndrome.

No question the C is better- I just want to keep the 90’s vibe.
    Haha - this doesn't make sense - there weren't USB ports in cars in the 90s! But it also TOTALLY makes sense! :')

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Well 'screw' that Blaupunkt Bremen, looks like the upped the ante and released this new Frankfurt DAB model, specifically for the E36.

IG:

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast