My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post

Also wouldn't mind that CF console
    I do still make them!

My Cars
    98 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    I totally forgot about posting in this thread! I have the Pioneer, so I can comment on that one at least. I was looking at the Alpine as well, but ultimately decided on the Pioneer b/c the overall look seemed to suit the e36 a lot more in my opinion. The button location, display styling, and fonts looked a lot more fitting. You have different display settings so you can make it seem more interactive, or more simple. I just went with the simple one. Also, the display and button illumination colors can be adjusted independently, and infinitely by inputing (RGB values). So I could get it to match perfectly.

Thats about the general gist of it. I really like the thing, and have no regrets. Here is a terrible picture I had on my phone hahah:
    Hello. I am trying to install this unit right now and cannot get it flush with the dash. Is it just a matter of cable management or did you use some of the mounting hardware that came with it? Thanks!

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Yes, it's probably cable management.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Poacher View Post
    Hello. I am trying to install this unit right now and cannot get it flush with the dash. Is it just a matter of cable management or did you use some of the mounting hardware that came with it? Thanks!
    I did use the metal surround that comes installed with the unit, but other than that its all cable management. Thats most likely your issue.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    just wanted to share the head unit I ended up buying Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X303... it's ok so far. I'm hearing a light electrical feedback that's RPM related, but I only hear it at low speeds when there isn't alot of road noise. I haven't had a head unit in the car for a while so I can't really remember if it did that before. Found that kind of strange.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC...-KDC-X303.html

Other than that, the menu navigation is somewhat non-intuitive but I figured it out mostly.
    The color is a bit brighter than stock slightly less red, but pretty close match. It's also brighter.
    One other annoying thing is that sometimes when you navigate menus it changes colors on the display on its own, like going to green, or white, or blue.
    The Kenwood app is kind of useless... maybe for navigating through a USB full of music attached. I won't be using that.
    BlueTooth works well so far.
    The look is descent... just alot of shiny black.
    Also came with a microphone but not sure if I'll wire that up... it's more of a driver's car and I typically am not on the phone much.

Last edited by propcar; 01-18-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    I bought a Pioneer DEH-S60101BS from Crutchfield because 1. Bluetooth streaming 2. 20,000 programable colors 3. The display matrix is close enough to "factory" look in the OBC. I will note, a bit of added brightness would be nice, but otherwise a great overall unit.

I sanded down the surrounding bezel with 2000 grit to remove the gloss. I intend to remove the volume knob and paint black as well.

Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    yay
    Has anyone retrofitted bluetooth/aux to their stock HU?

Care to share your thoughts?
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    I didnt but looked into it heavily before buying the head unit I bought ( https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post30026676 ).
    From what I found the only ones worth doing it to were either the C43 or CD43 which were overpriced and even when modded supposedly the audio quality would be better in a $149 Walmart
    special from what I read. So I just did the Alpine posted above which looks pretty OEM.. I really wanted a modded CD43 it just started getting real pricey.

I have alot of good threads on modding it if your interested just let me know.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
    89 E30 325is [sold & missed]

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by DrftKingIII View Post
    I bought a Pioneer DEH-S60101BS from Crutchfield because 1. Bluetooth streaming 2. 20,000 programable colors 3. The display matrix is close enough to "factory" look in the OBC. I will note, a bit of added brightness would be nice, but otherwise a great overall unit.
    +1. I have the same head unit in turbo car. Can't beat it for the price.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post

Yes, very easy. If you search CD43 bluetooth on eBay there are some cheap bluetooth adapters that I've found work great. I think mine was around $75. It tricks the head unit into thinking the CD-Changer is installed.

It does not display the title of the track or anything on the head unit, but you can use the arrows to go to the next song. It connects automatically and has worked like a charm, I've bought two of these units.
    1999 M Coupe Evergreen | 2008 E90 M3

Click the here for E36 M3 manual swap project!

My Cars
    97 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post

I did the Auxiliar cable mod to my C33 radio sounds amazing and looks amazing. Link POST#40 shows how to tap into the sound chip and get stereo instead of tapping into the cassette player.

I also did the 6x9 mod for rear speakers Link

I used this 6x9 adapters for the rear https://amzn.to/2S4cVEg

If you are looking for a radio that looks stock and is not as highly priced as the Blaupunkt look into the Continental VDO: https://amzn.to/3EoljGv
    Last edited by Lukitas; 10-06-2022 at 05:48 PM.
    Current
    -1997 BMW M3 4Door Artic Silver w/ Black Interior Daily

Past
    -2001 BMW 325i
    -1999 BMW M3 Vert White
    -1981 VW Rabbit Pickup (Caddy) 2.0 ABA

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas, I want him to shit his pants." - Enzo Ferrari

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    I waited a long time before going after market but I am very pleased. Matches OEM amber perfect with a simple light diffuser mod. (my apologies if this unit was already mentioned, not going through 9 pages of head units..) Has all the new stuff, BT, USB, Phone calling, Pandora, etc..

Alpine CDE-HD149BT. Alpine makes the OEM C33 units so its not too far way from OE spec

This pic is before diffuser (not my pic)

These are after (and my pics).

Last edited by Thrifty S50; 01-28-2019 at 02:13 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    I have the Pioneer DEH-5120BT and it’s color match is pretty close to the stock amber lights in the dash.

1994 BMW 325iS Hellrot

My Cars
    Estoril M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    I waited a long time before going after market but I am very pleased. Matches OEM amber perfect with a simple light diffuser mod. (my apologies if this unit was already mentioned, not going through 9 pages of head units..) Has all the new stuff, BT, USB, Phone calling, Pandora, etc..

Alpine CDE-HD149BT. Alpine makes the OEM C33 units so its not too far way from OE spec

Your setup looks good. The one component that jumps out at me is the Source button. Is it always lit, and does is seem distracting while driving?

IMG_0118.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M3 and 2003 X5
    The kenwood KDC-X998 looks okay. *Not my picture*
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Keda View Post
    Your setup looks good. The one component that jumps out at me is the Source button. Is it always lit, and does is seem distracting while driving?
    I second the 149BT, It matches perfect once you mod the screen and has all the modern amenities.

IMG_9925.jpg
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    What did the backlight look like? I wonder if you could have just replaced the LEDs rather than use a filter? Or was the backlight integrated into the LCD?

Still good results, and the grid pixel array that display uses matches the OBC nicely.

Personally, I think the source button could use some work. Replacing the artwork with an inverted label made with clear laser printer labels would go a long way. That way the button is mostly blacked out, but the wording is lit up.

Plastidip or something similar on the volume knob would help also. Removing the clear glossy plastic cover over the display would help match the OBC and HVAC displays too, depending on how the radio looks without it.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 02-09-2019 at 08:46 PM.

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    What did the backlight look like? I wonder if you could have just replaced the LEDs rather than use a filter? Or was the backlight integrated into the LCD?

Still good results, and the grid pixel array that display uses matches the OBC nicely.

Personally, I think the source button could use some work. Replacing the artwork with an inverted label made with clear laser printer labels would go a long way. That way the button is mostly blacked out, but the wording is lit up.

Plastidip or something similar on the volume knob would help also. Removing the clear glossy plastic cover over the display would help match the OBC and HVAC displays too, depending on how the radio looks without it.
    You can see the whole process I took to do this here : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...to-amber/page2

Swapping LED would be much harder and I dont think is necessary, This is completely reversible.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
    You can see the whole process I took to do this here : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...to-amber/page2

Swapping LED would be much harder and I dont think is necessary, This is completely reversible.
    Oh OK, looks like there is probably an SMT grid of LEDs under the diffuser. Agreed, provided the display is still bright in sunlight, a filter is a good way to go with white LEDs.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Update on mine now that I had some time to disassemble the face of the unit and paint the gaudy chrome volume knob to matte black.

It's difficult to capture the actual color due to varying brightness and the fact these were taken on an Iphone, but in person the color is pretty spot on.

Last edited by DrftKingIII; 02-10-2019 at 08:01 PM.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    1987 535is - Zinnoberrot
    Sony MEX-Series - works great! Even routed the bluetooth mic in the space of the broken air vent, and has convinced me not to fix it.

IYQ2e57.jpgb9pe5Ib.jpg

My Cars
    '97 328i/4/5 Sport
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT3...DC-BT375U.html

I had a single din in my E36 with bluetooth and the mic set up and all and it was great for music, calling, etc. Hooked up every time right away when you'd turn the key. Any modern single din with bluetooth should suit your needs.

My Cars
    1998 M
    Finally got around to changing the LEDs on the faceplate to bmw 607nm wavelength, camera shutter doesn't do it justice, on the eye it's no different than the rest of console lighting.

Before/After

Sent from my CAT S61

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    I think we now have a winning candidate for best E36 replacement head unit: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_423BRE...QR-46-DAB.html

I had become aware of this Blaupunkt model sometime pre-COVID, but would have had to order it from Europe at considerable trouble and expense. However now Crutchfield has it in US stock. Not cheap at $480, but it's made for the purpose, plus as usual Crutchfield has the proper plug and play harness for E36 (and other) applications. Note that what might appear to be a cassette slot cover actually hides the USB and other connectors — nice touch!

My order has been shipped for delivery later this week. I'm looking forward to having handsfree phone and music over BT.

Neil

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast