Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Best head unit on E36?

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    I've got the same deck, and would like some film. PM me your Paypal addy, and I'll gift you the $5er..
    PM'd
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
    89 E30 325is [sold & missed]

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    Quote Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
    PM'd
    Shoutout to this dude right here — hooked me up and I installed it tonight. Looks great.

https://imgur.com/a/t2f52

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by themadrussian View Post
    Shoutout to this dude right here — hooked me up and I installed it tonight. Looks great.

https://imgur.com/a/t2f52
    Thats awesome, Looks great glad I could help!
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    What is this exactly? Some tape you put over the screen? I have this model head unit in my suburban but was going to get another one if I picked up an E36. Regardless, glad I saw this. I'm sure I could figure it out but any tips on removing the bezel so I could paint that white piece as well?

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by tfolks206 View Post
    What is this exactly? Some tape you put over the screen? I have this model head unit in my suburban but was going to get another one if I picked up an E36. Regardless, glad I saw this. I'm sure I could figure it out but any tips on removing the bezel so I could paint that white piece as well?
    You put in a colored diffuser ( plastic sheets ) - Full DIY here : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...to-amber/page2

Let me know if you have any other questions and I still have a small amount of film left if interested.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    That color diffuser looks good. I just ended up going to a C43 with a Bluetooth/USB plugin module from eBay, looks and sounds good with the Stage 1 kit from BavAuto

[SIZE="1"]1997 M3/4/5 18x8.5 Hartge Classics, F1 Stage 2 Clutch Kit
    :one This Year :: Koni inserts, HR Sport, Rogue RSM, Ball Joints, Powerflex LCAB, Adjustable Sway Links (DIY), Headliner, MM Underpanel, 3 spoke wheel swap, BavSound Speakers, Bluetooth radio adapter

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by persiandude View Post
    That color diffuser looks good. I just ended up going to a C43 with a Bluetooth/USB plugin module from eBay, looks and sounds good with the Stage 1 kit from BavAuto
    Nice that was going to be my Goto but was hard to pass up the Alpine... How does the Bav Auto speakers sound? I may add those next.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    Speakers sound much better than my HK. I wasn’t considering any subs or dramatic bass so I think it’s a good setup for me + plug n play... but the HK Amp gets overpowered and cuts out above a certain volume. Need to fix that next

[SIZE="1"]1997 M3/4/5 18x8.5 Hartge Classics, F1 Stage 2 Clutch Kit
    :one This Year :: Koni inserts, HR Sport, Rogue RSM, Ball Joints, Powerflex LCAB, Adjustable Sway Links (DIY), Headliner, MM Underpanel, 3 spoke wheel swap, BavSound Speakers, Bluetooth radio adapter

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by persiandude View Post
    Speakers sound much better than my HK. I wasn’t considering any subs or dramatic bass so I think it’s a good setup for me + plug n play... but the HK Amp gets overpowered and cuts out above a certain volume. Need to fix that next
    All in good time, I added a head unit and it just has no punch im assuming the speakers are shot.. The treble is clear.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    I also have to say I was super impressed with the bav auto stage 1. It's perfect and exactly what I was looking for. It was like going from AM radio to FLAC lol. I did a mini review in the audio section.

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
    I also have to say I was super impressed with the bav auto stage 1. It's perfect and exactly what I was looking for. It was like going from AM radio to FLAC lol. I did a mini review in the audio section.
    Ill have to look for it, My new deck sounds kinda weak and I think its just cause my speakers are 20+ years old.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    so is that Alpine CDE-HD149BT the best head unit to get from Crutchfield?

Is there any others I should consider? I have stock speakers currently and really just looking for something that looks good in the car, has bluetooth, aux input. Main requirements.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    so is that Alpine CDE-HD149BT the best head unit to get from Crutchfield?

Is there any others I should consider? I have stock speakers currently and really just looking for something that looks good in the car, has bluetooth, aux input. Main requirements.
    To be honest I have not found anything remotely close that looks OEM + has a ton of features and sounds great You will be very happy with this head unit.
    I can guide you how to mod the LCD to match the OEM illumination if needed ( all listed above ).

IMG_9925.jpg
    Last edited by QUiKSR20; 05-21-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]

My Cars
    99M3 Convertible
    interesting. I did this mod to my hd149bt a few years ago but I installed the film in front of the lcd which made it look great in the dark but in the light there was too much glare and it was hard to see so I removed it. I never thought about trying to remove the lcd and installing behind. Looks like it would solve that problem.

Here is what I did

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I put a double din in my Lightning and single dins just don't cut after having a larger screen. I am sure it was a lot of work and you did a great job on the climate control face!
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    97 M3
    Has anyone done the BavSound kit? I assume it's good, I would just like to know if it is worth the money. I'm a bit too lazy to search the thread for it, but if anyone has any opinions or knows of better setup, please let me know.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I put a double din in my Lightning and single dins just don't cut after having a larger screen. I am sure it was a lot of work and you did a great job on the climate control face!
    Thanks to AI in Tuckahoe ny

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2013 328i, 1999 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoody View Post
    Has anyone done the BavSound kit? I assume it's good, I would just like to know if it is worth the money. I'm a bit too lazy to search the thread for it, but if anyone has any opinions or knows of better setup, please let me know.
    I have bavsound speakers in front and rainbow mids in the kick and rear with factory hk amps and Kenwood excelon 998 deck. Sounds way better than factory but that is not saying much. It’s a nice, (fairly) inexpensive upgrade. The speakers are made for these cars which is cool. I worked in high end audio for a long time and I certainly would not call these audiophile grade though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoody View Post
    I have their kit installed in mine with a Continental VDO head unit. I’m the sound is better than stock, but the left rear speaker has had issues since install. Bass still seems weak; considering adding a small self-contained sub if the sound is still sub-par once the interior is back in.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
    To be honest I have not found anything remotely close that looks OEM + has a ton of features and sounds great You will be very happy with this head unit.
    I can guide you how to mod the LCD to match the OEM illumination if needed ( all listed above ).

IMG_9925.jpg
    So I'm ready to pull the trigger on a head unit. I need some bluetooth.

The Alpine with lighting mod is my #1 choice however, there's also a Pioneer maybe worth considering. It has a pretty clean look as well, and lighting color is adjustable. It's also the same price as the Alpine. Any thoughts?

Pioneer
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13080P...S.html?tp=5684

Alpine for reference
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD1...T.html?tp=5684

OR any other recommendation from Crutchfield... (I got a gift certificate).

Kept reading a bit and came across this Kenwood, it seems to be a newer receiver so has APTX compatibility... maybe worth considering?
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMB...M-BT522HD.html

In reality, only things I'm looking at are

-Clean look
    -Good connectivity
    -Descent sound quality (I still have stock speakers, although I will probably replace speakers at some point. I don't plan on adding subwoofer or anything like that. Just something descent to get me by.)
    Last edited by propcar; 10-16-2018 at 11:00 AM.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    So I'm ready to pull the trigger on a head unit. I need some bluetooth.

The Alpine with lighting mod is my #1 choice however, there's also a Pioneer maybe worth considering. It has a pretty clean look as well, and lighting color is adjustable. It's also the same price as the Alpine. Any thoughts?

Pioneer
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13080P...S.html?tp=5684

Alpine for reference
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD1...T.html?tp=5684

OR any other recommendation from Crutchfield... (I got a gift certificate).

Kept reading a bit and came across this Kenwood, it seems to be a newer receiver so has APTX compatibility... maybe worth considering?
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMB...M-BT522HD.html

In reality, only things I'm looking at are

-Clean look
    -Good connectivity
    -Descent sound quality (I still have stock speakers, although I will probably replace speakers at some point. I don't plan on adding subwoofer or anything like that. Just something descent to get me by.)
    I totally forgot about posting in this thread! I have the Pioneer, so I can comment on that one at least. I was looking at the Alpine as well, but ultimately decided on the Pioneer b/c the overall look seemed to suit the e36 a lot more in my opinion. The button location, display styling, and fonts looked a lot more fitting. You have different display settings so you can make it seem more interactive, or more simple. I just went with the simple one. Also, the display and button illumination colors can be adjusted independently, and infinitely by inputing (RGB values). So I could get it to match perfectly.

The bonus ended up being that this is actually a really really good head unit, especially for the money. It has 2 rear USB ports, an Aux port, and bluetooth. Comes with a mic for hands free calling (haven't installed it yet as I want to integrate the mic so its hidden but still functional). And also takes CDs (if you still do that), and has a SD card slot. Best part is, that all of these features are not on the front face of the unit. The real bonus, is that it has some audiophile level of stuff as well - Internal active crossovers (in network mode), which I don't use at the moment. You have to wire the speakers differently into an aftermarket amp for that, but I'd love to do it one day to compare. I have MB Quart component speakers front and rear with passive crossovers, and an amp as well. Really interested to see the difference this head unit makes with active crossovers.

Like anything, of course, there are some not so perfect things too. The whole unit has a shiny finish to it. Would be perfect if it was matte, but thats just asking too much from modern head units these day unfortunately. Direct sunlight really washes out the display, unless you make it brighter, but then its very bright all other times (dawn, dusk, especially night). I have it set so that it looks perfect during those three times, and if it gets washed out in the afternoon on a sunny day so be it. The only app you can control from the unit is Pandora, and music directly downloaded on your phone. The Pandora thing can be a bit finicky, but really not enough for me to mind. Hey compared to the factory unit, I am happy I can finally connect my phone and use it like that haha. No complaints about bluetooth. It works, and sound quality is pretty good, but of course its better if the phone is connected directly to the unit. (Oh, and I would check on this, but I think it might only be iOS compatible for the Pandora thing. I'd look into the no Android support thing, and see what it entails if you are not an iPhone guy).

Thats about the general gist of it. I really like the thing, and have no regrets. Here is a terrible picture I had on my phone hahah:

Last edited by bimma360; 10-17-2018 at 10:22 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Thank you so much for the detailed information.

That Pioneer does look pretty good with the illumination etc. And I did read that it does have descent internal audio design.

Really the furthest I'll go with audio in my M3 is to get the BAVAUTO Stage1 or whatever it is. The factory non HK has been sufficent enough for me through ownership so I'll be ok with anything above that... I just want to be able to stream bluetooth with ease and have it look at least somewhat clean design wise.

Also wouldn't mind that CF console

My Cars
    1998 M
    If anyone is handy with electronics and like a deck that doesn't color match.. well you can swap the surface mounted LEDs on the head units display with the proper Wavelength of 607 that BMW uses. You can purchase the right size led from Digikey . Com . You can use wavelength 605-607-610 that's the trade mark amber color bmw chose. It's not very common and I think even digikey only has 9 different option only for that wavelength as opposed to the 80,000 different LEDs they have.

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix.a.ZX View Post
    If anyone is handy with electronics and like a deck that doesn't color match.. well you can swap the surface mounted LEDs on the head units display with the proper Wavelength of 607 that BMW uses. You can purchase the right size led from Digikey . Com . You can use wavelength 605-607-610 that's the trade mark amber color bmw chose. It's not very common and I think even digikey only has 9 different option only for that wavelength as opposed to the 80,000 different LEDs they have.
    These were the two I used to modify my Continental head unit:

0603: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...3-1-ND/2356228
    T1: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...262-ND/4901619

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast