Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Best head unit on E36?

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    There's now another retro option from Blaupunkt, the Frankfurt RCM 82 DAB:

With its dot matrix display and rectangular buttons, this new Frankfurt is a better style match for the E36 than is the Bremen.

Not cheap... https://www.amazon.com/BLAUPUNKT-Fra...7-eb60747b8daf

Also see this video comparison, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ruSmsq3sX8

Neil
    I swapped out my BMW Traffic Pro with the Frankfurt. I had installed a cheap bluetooth adpater on the Traffic Pro so the Frankfurt is a huge upgrade. Sounds much better. Love it.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    There's now another retro option from Blaupunkt, the Frankfurt RCM 82 DAB:

With its dot matrix display and rectangular buttons, this new Frankfurt is a better style match for the E36 than is the Bremen.
    I got one. Very solid match for the interior. At least as close as anything else aftermarket has gotten.. i'd argue it's overpriced though. Button action feels a little cheap for >$500.

Quote Originally Posted by mck325is View Post
    That looks like a great match with the digital climate control. Not sure it matches the older analog climate control aesthetic better than the Bremen, though.

I've been really happy with the Bremen model - put it in July '22. My only beef is the clock doesn't keep accurate time, which is boggling. It's runs frustratingly slow, and even the original OBC clock is more accurate. So I just turned it off on the display.
    Agreed, but I think the Bremen predates the manual HVAC. It suits the the 80's BMW's interiors best. But early 90's overlaps so you could go with either. The Frankfurt is a must with the 96-99 digital HVAC though.

**I have a question for you and Hankdoll** (see below)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
    I swapped out my BMW Traffic Pro with the Frankfurt. I had installed a cheap bluetooth adpater on the Traffic Pro so the Frankfurt is a huge upgrade. Sounds much better. Love it.
    I went BMW TP4771 > VDO/Continental TR7412UB > Frankfurt. The adapter on the TP was fussy and I wanted to preserve the headunit. CD43's got too expensive so ended up getting the Continental to modify to match the interior with amber illumination. Decent for the money but huge improvement in SQ & features switching the Blaupunkt...

**Have you or mck noticed how dim the display is? I have mine maxxed to DAY_16 and it's barely legible during the day. Dim enough that I think mine may be faulty but was hoping someone else could chime in. Pic attached for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    '95 M3
    Mine is definitely not dim during the day, I have no problems seeing the display.

I either have a wiring/connector issue in the car (probably the most likely) or I didn't get the radio settings correct - it doesn't dim when I turn on the headlamps. But - 3 out of 4 times, if I then give a quick adjustment to the car's instrument dimmer dial, the radio suddenly reacts and dims.
    "And also, let's not forget let's NOT forget, Dude, that keeping wildlife... um, an amphibious
    rodent, for... um, you know, domestic... within the city. That ain't legal either."

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328ic

https://imgur.com/a/Tp7Yu1D

Will this Bluetooth adapter work with my head unit, if not what are some cheap Bluetooth head units that fit those pins, new here thank you
    https://imgur.com/a/Tp7Yu1D

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    your photo is of the back of the faceplate, not the radio harness
    your kenwood probably uses standard ISO connectors but the adapter pictured uses the DIN connectors that the original bmw harness uses.
    1995 M3/2/5 Dakar Yellow (267)

My Cars
    97 M3, 23 A5 Sportback
    I just recently saw this on a FB E36 page and I think I may have found my new head unit! While I prefer more modern type, i.e. lightshow, head units, this one caught my eye for its simple practicality in providing today's techy features, like navigation, voice-to-text, touchscreen, etc. etc. And all this for only $140?! Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Power Acoustik.jpg
    Last edited by SIIDEWAYS; Yesterday at 01:16 PM.

One of the last remaining members of the E36 M3 original owners club...a dying breed indeed.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    I'd be curious. It looks a lot bigger than standard single din

My Cars
    bmw
    I've seen that deck as well, it's really catching steam with the S2000 community. I can't tell if it's a true single din deck or not. I've seen some photos of it sticking out past the mounting points.

My Cars
    97 M3, 23 A5 Sportback
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    I'd be curious. It looks a lot bigger than standard single din
    It's not. It's actually a perfect fit. Lots of people have already installed them on their E36s, and it looks really good - with some good reviews too!

One of the last remaining members of the E36 M3 original owners club...a dying breed indeed.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Would love to see this installed and some reviews? Model#?
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    My man, that does look good! As I've been driving my E36 so much lately I've been annoyed with my Kenwood and how it doesn't have carplay/google maps and how it randomly decides not to connect to my iPhone. This may be the solution.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    97 M3, 23 A5 Sportback
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    My man, that does look good! As I've been driving my E36 so much lately I've been annoyed with my Kenwood and how it doesn't have carplay/google maps and how it randomly decides not to connect to my iPhone. This may be the solution.
    See, I told you! Ironic how they use an E36 in their promotional ad, lol.

Edit: it's actually on sale right now on Amazon for only $121!! hmmm....might just have to pull the trigger.

https://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-W...f3c5a03efa8b15
    Last edited by SIIDEWAYS; Yesterday at 05:06 PM.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SIIDEWAYS View Post

Edit: it's actually on sale right now on Amazon for only $121!! hmmm....might just have to pull the trigger.

oki I am officially impressed. the purist in me says no but the functionality says yes yes yes!

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    oki I am officially impressed. the purist in me says no but the functionality says yes yes yes!
    LOL - I looked for a head unit like that for a LOOOONG time before deciding to go the Blaupunkt retro route.

Haha - still kind of torn. But I guess I figure I DO have a touchscreen mount in the car if the mood strikes me, and my touchscreen is paired with the head unit anyway...

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    ….. my Kenwood doesn't have carplay/google maps and how it randomly decides not to connect to my iPhone. This may be the solution.
    I understand that due to law suites Apple is no longer supporting CarPlay……

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by SIIDEWAYS View Post

The deck on the Amazon link you posted looks different from the photo jayjaya29 posted, there aren't any physical volume buttons on the left side. Also the customer photos on the Amazon link shows a different deck, look at how it's mounted on the Z3.

My Cars
    97 M3, 23 A5 Sportback
    Quote Originally Posted by dr ed View Post
    The deck on the Amazon link you posted looks different from the photo jayjaya29 posted, there aren't any physical volume buttons on the left side. Also the customer photos on the Amazon link shows a different deck, look at how it's mounted on the Z3.
    Good catch, you're right. Somehow I ended up posting a link for a similar, but definitely different, head unit by some brand called Woibugee? Sorry for the confusion. To clarify, the one that I meant to show and have been talking about is the Power Acoustik CP-71 head unit as referenced in the Walmart link that Jayjaya29 posted. And that one is $140, which is still a great price/value!
    Last edited by SIIDEWAYS; Yesterday at 08:29 PM.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I understand that due to law suites Apple is no longer supporting CarPlay……
    wait I must be living under a cave but what lawsuits? So are oems not offering carplay going forward?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314