Thread: DSC traction control light stuck on. Precharge pump code. 2002 530i

My Cars
    02 530i m54 e39

DSC traction control light stuck on. Precharge pump code. 2002 530i

Hello, I've seen various posts on this matter but I could not cull a definitive answer. My traction control DSC light is on, but, the abs and brake lights are NOT on. I took my car to my indy mechanic and he hooked up his diagnostic tablet....not sure which 1. The codes showed a precharge pump failure.

He said there must be at least 255 failures (codes thrown) for the light to stay on. He said he tested the abs module w/ the software and could "hear" it working....so it must be the precharge pump.

I have read various other threads where members received this same diagnosis...replaced the precharge pump.... And then the DSC light remained on. only to have it be the electronic abs module.

Is there a definitive way to ensure that the precharge pump is toast?? At $550 for just the part, I would like to make sure I don't unnecessarily take this route. Rebuild on abs module is $300. If the pump is the real problem, fine. I will have my indy repair it either way.

thanks, Ozz

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Unplug the pre-charge pump and apply 12v directly to it. It'll either run or it won't.
    If it runs then backtrack to what "controls" the pump. (ie ABS module)
    Inspect/test all associated wiring from the module to the pump.
    Don't ever assume an error code is going to point to exactly what the bad component is, especially with the ABS/DSC components.

Pins 3 & 4 on the ABS module side of the harness (the large 42 pin connector) should have continuity to the two pins at the pre-charge pump.

Also meter between pins 3 & 4 on the ABS module itself and see if there is any kind of reading at all. (continuity/diode test) Reverse the leads and check both ways. If there is no reading at all then most likely there is a break inside the module itself.

BTW - The 255 just means that that error is "currently" present when those codes were read at that given moment. The number of times it has happened would be lower if it were an intermittent issue that has come and gone however many times it shows, but is not "currently" present as an error.

My Cars
    2002 530i MW
    I'm having a few problems and not sure they're related. I have 2002 530i with 152K miles. Garage maintained and all services done on time. Like many of us babied my car. The DSC and brake light (light yellow not red parking brake) coming on infrequently. It resets when I turn off the engine. I have changed the ABS module that corrected the trifecta of lights. I have also noticed a rough idle after the engine reaches running temperature when I stop (like a loping) but returns to normal idle after 10 seconds or so. There's oil on at least 3 of the plugs. Not in the well but actually on the plug. Some plugs aren't burning clean. It is using oil in between chgs…….no smoke from the exhaust and no smell in the engine compartment or cabin. Thought it maybe CCV but not sure. I live in SC now but have lived in Germany. Would appreciate feedback.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i, 1973 2002
    When my module went after a time the speedo stopped working and my dash looked like a Christmas tree. After I replaced the module everything started working and have not had any issues.

My Cars
    2002 530i MW
    Yea, I replaced the module but evry now and then my yellow brake indicator light and dsc light illuminates. I may go for a month or so not coming on. The issue I'm also trying to resolve is burning oil. I suspect the CCV. What do you think?

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    If you are looking for a used pre charge pump there is a guy that lives near me that is stripping a 99 540.
    I just came from his house, he still has the pump if you are interested in it.
    I've bought a lot of parts off him in the last 3 weeks, very reasonable prices.
    Shoot me a PM and I'll send you his contact info.

My Cars
    02 530i m54 e39
    I can tell you what the result of my repair was. Indeed it was the ABS module. I had it rebuilt at a place in Taunton, MA. Replaced and all is well. No issue w/ precharge pump. It worked all along. -Ozz

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thanks for the follow up. Most never reply back.
    I have heard about that place in Taunton.

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    DSC light just came on and is not going away on mine, too. Sounds like it might be an expensive repair. This car is starting to nickle and dime me to death lately...

My Cars
    01 525 Sport; 94 Miata
    Take a look at post #13 in this thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...6#post23270756

I tested it by using a jump pack and energizing my precharge pump after an indy swore that I needed a new precharge pump. I haven't looked into a replacement yet but the fact that the pump runs indicates that my module may have failed.

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Thanks. My shop did the diagnostics and determined that everything is working but the ABS module is non-responsive. Here goes more money into this pit....

If things continue to fail at the rate that they have been failing lately, I'll have not choice but to dump this old girl.
    Last edited by quattro PETE; 12-12-2014 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    01 525 Sport; 94 Miata

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Yes, I can find the part online for less, but then the shop will charge me more for the labor if I bring my own part in, so in the end it'll be a wash. They straight up told me that their prices are higher than online because they're in the business to make money. I appreciate their honesty, but it still stings, none the less.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro PETE View Post
    Yes, I can find the part online for less, but then the shop will charge me more for the labor if I bring my own part in, so in the end it'll be a wash. They straight up told me that their prices are higher than online because they're in the business to make money. I appreciate their honesty, but it still stings, none the less.
    Pete, just send your ABS module to Modulmaster the turn around is a little over one week. The cost is about $200, they did an excellent job on mine.

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Thanks. Their website shows a rebuild price of $300, but that's still a good price. How difficult is it to remove/reinstall?
    Last edited by quattro PETE; 12-13-2014 at 04:10 PM.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Thanks. Their website shows a rebuild price of $300, but that's still a good price. How difficult is it to remove/reinstall?
    Damn, price has gone up. Anyway, it's piece of cake to R&R of ABS module.
    Follow this link.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6243366

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Don't let them bs you...they would just get one from the dealer for over $1000 and then it would take them 10 minutes at the most to swap it out and another 10 to program it if they actually know what they are doing. How much could they possibly over charge you for "labor". They would mark up the part ridiculously and then add more labor than it actually took. (that's what it sounds like to me anyways, so my opinion if you will)
    You can get a brand new one from ECSTuning for $530 or so and then put it on yourself and have a shop code it for ya. 10 minutes labor on your part and 10 minutes on their part.
    OR..send yours in for repair and you wouldn't have to get it coded or anything if they can repair it. Just remove it, send it in, put it back on. Labor time about 10 minutes doing it all yourself.

My Cars
    '03 530
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post
    Don't let them bs you...they would just get one from the dealer for over $1000 and then it would take them 10 minutes at the most to swap it out and another 10 to program it if they actually know what they are doing. How much could they possibly over charge you for "labor". They would mark up the part ridiculously and then add more labor than it actually took. (that's what it sounds like to me anyways, so my opinion if you will)
    You can get a brand new one from ECSTuning for $530 or so and then put it on yourself and have a shop code it for ya. 10 minutes labor on your part and 10 minutes on their part.
    OR..send yours in for repair and you wouldn't have to get it coded or anything if they can repair it. Just remove it, send it in, put it back on. Labor time about 10 minutes doing it all yourself.
    My module has been out a while now. I don't mind at all aside from the dash light. It passed inspection with the light - as well it should. Only problem is that Ive noticed its charging the pump when the car is off. I get back in to a rock pedal. I'm about to send the module in so that it doesn't kill the pump.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    I've also had the ABS module done across several E39's I've owned. Here's a few videos I made to share my experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB0eMvXyqVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb2QWHz5cIc

Hope it helps someone landing here from a search in the future!
    Last edited by rbelton; 03-30-2018 at 11:13 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    The Abs light popped up on the dash this morning.
    I figured it was the speed sensor...
    So, I stopped by AutoZone and checked the codes with their reader, and found “Precharge Pump 58” ...???
    What is going on with this ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …