Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: E34 540i/6 Turbo Build - The game is on.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I'm using a turbo blanket for the exhaust housing and will use some of that heat reflective foil later too.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    Two 1995 540i/6
    Engine bay looks clean, I intend to take mine to the car wash and use a degreaser on the underside and wash off all the crap that's built up. I would adjust your steering box while everything is out of the way, you can probably get a ratchet in from the top if you jack the motor up.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound50
    Engine bay looks clean, I intend to take mine to the car wash and use a degreaser on the underside and wash off all the crap that's built up. I would adjust your steering box while everything is out of the way, you can probably get a ratchet in from the top if you jack the motor up.
    Already adjusted it when messing with the drivers manifolds
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    Do you think you could've ran the radiator in the same location if the AC condensor was still there? It gets well over 100 throughout the summer over here, and want to keep the AC so I can drive it more often.

Additionally, perhaps the e36 M3 rad and electric fan conversion could aid in freeing up space for an intercooler? What are your thoughts?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinBimmer View Post
    Do you think you could've ran the radiator in the same location if the AC condensor was still there? It gets well over 100 throughout the summer over here, and want to keep the AC so I can drive it more often.

Additionally, perhaps the e36 M3 rad and electric fan conversion could aid in freeing up space for an intercooler? What are your thoughts?
    You can probably run AC with the radiator and intercooler setup as I have my test pictures of above. The other thing is that the AC pump takes up a bunch of space, too. Which reduces a lot of the usable space on the passenger side for manifolds/wastegates.

I'm trying to use my original radiator space, simply to have properly functioning hoses. Once you start moving the radiator up towards the engine, the oil filter housing is going to kink the hose more and more. Eventually you have to build a custom radiator. Stock radiator was also already touching the brake booster, so where it's picture up above is about as far as it'll go with the brake booster and oil filter housing stopping it.

I'm going outside to right now to finish cutting the radiator support a little bit to fit the intercooler into it's new home. Then I have to dig out the old M60B30 in the garage and put it on the engine stand. It will be my JIG and mock up motor. I'll update with new pics of the new intercooler location.

Ordered a set of EV14 Bosch 1000cc injectors, proper 60mm height. Should just drop right in, they also come with EV1 adapters to fit the factory harness.

Just spent a little bit of time to work on the intercooler fitment. I had to cut a little section of the front support out, to make room for the inlet/outlet of the intercooler. Fits in there perfectly, and the radiator is back in its original location with original mounting hardware. I'll be deleting the high beam on the passenger side and cutting up the head light bracket a little bit, that will allow me to space the intercooler and radiator further apart. It should help a little with keeping the IATs cooler.

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    Good job, that's a great fit! It's as if it's meant to be there. Wonder how all the piping is going to work out, since everything will be in that one corner.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinBimmer View Post
    Good job, that's a great fit! It's as if it's meant to be there. Wonder how all the piping is going to work out, since everything will be in that one corner.
    Piping should be pretty easy with a variety of 90 degree bends and couplers.. Should only be a feet of charge piping in total.

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    Piping should be pretty easy with a variety of 90 degree bends and couplers.. Should only be a feet of charge piping in total.
    You just jinxed yourself. If it were easy to slap a turbo on an m60, it would have been done by the masses, I doubt it will be easy. Maybe I am pessimistic.

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    The complexity of the turbo m60 has to do with piping, you can't just walk out and buy what you need. However it seems that that op has welding skills which makes it easy for him to do what he needs.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by bfp9 View Post
    You just jinxed yourself. If it were easy to slap a turbo on an m60, it would have been done by the masses, I doubt it will be easy. Maybe I am pessimistic.
    The hardest part of a turbo M60 is the turbo manifold and tuning. Charge pipes are as easy as piecing together 90s, 45s, and straights.

See guys, the B30 motors are good for something. Got this sucker out and on the engine stand. Also, I cut off the flanges from the passenger headers. Just have to grind them down and run them through the belt sander now to make them look pretty and flat.

The said flanges. The look pretty ugly right now, but they'll have to do. They'll actually look new after a little work.

My pile of V8 headers, going to get scrapped soon. 3 x v8 m60/m62 headers = 12 little headers in total.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 10-04-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    The said flanges. The look pretty ugly right now, but they'll have to do. They'll actually look new after a little work.
    So, are you going to try to remove the old pipe from those, or use them as is? From this pic it doesn't look like they're really attached fully, but the other side probably looks quite solid is my guess. Also, how well do those pipes (the inner diameter) match the ports in the head (out of base curiosity)?

Fox

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Fox,
    They're either welded on the inside or are press fit. I'm gonna see if I can punch them out, if not then just grind them flat.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Fox,
    They're either welded on the inside or are press fit. I'm gonna see if I can punch them out, if not then just grind them flat.

My Cars
    E34 540i
    Great to see this project underway. It's been in planning for a long time. It's to bad the thread has been buried under the normal drivel and this is the first I've seen it. Subscribed.

My Cars
    E34 525it, e30 318is
    Definitely looking forward to this. It's a long time coming..
    E34 525it/5 S52
    E30 318is slicktop M50T
    F15 X5 50i M Sport

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Definitely looking forward to this. It's a long time coming..
    Uhh, psst. Go update your thread with more pics please.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Ordered the couplers and t bolt clamps last night.

Today, I started on the passenger side manifold. This is about all I had time to do today. It's not much, but at least I made some progress on it.

Cleaned these up, so that they're actually useable.

And the first manifold build begins !!!

Here's where I stopped for today. Got the T's all tacked, and welded a couple of inches. I'll weld around the flanges and finish the runners next time.

Clears the ac/motor mount just perfect.

Time to go eat some food and watch Taken 2.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Test fit the manifold on the car today, also made a little jig to place the t3 flange where I need it. That's it for now. I got new vision glasses today, and it will take a couple of days to get used to them. Don't want to be wasting a ton material because somethings look skewed at the moment.

Bosch 1000cc EV14 injectors arrived yesterday, they sent me the wrong length. I ordered the 60mm set (would drop right into the fuel rail/manifold like stockers), received 48mm (would need to use extension adapters) from Fuel Injector Connection. They offered to overnight the right set right away and even sent me a return label. Great customer service. I told them to save a little of coin and just ship me the new set with priority mail.

Here's a few shot from today. It seems like the passenger side is going to be packed with a bunch of pipes going to and from the manifold.

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    You're inspiring me to learn how to weld. So the manifolds will join up right before the hot side of the turbo? There's still enough room in there for a downpipe? Looks pretty cramped in pics, but I'm sure it's different in person. Awesome updates.

For lubricating the turbo, is it as tapping into the oilpan and running some lines and a small pump to/from it? No need for increasing the motor's overall oil capacity (or just keeping the oil close to the max level on the dipstick)?

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    Agree'd I want to pick up a welder haha.

Looking great though. Is the down pipe going to run on top of the exhaust manifold or drop down right away? I would assume you would have plenty of room for the downpipe if you ran it on top then down where it would for the stock manifold.
    Last edited by me78569; 10-12-2012 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
    Agree'd I want to pick up a welder haha.

Looking great though. Is the down pipe going to run on top of the exhaust manifold or drop down right away? I would assume you would have plenty of room for the downpipe if you ran it on top then down where it would for the stock manifold.
    That'd be my guess. But it also looks like there's barely enough room for a wastegate. With that in mind, running the downpipe on over the manifold seems like the best bet.

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    wastegates are for sissys

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Downpipe will run parallel with the valve cover and then drop down by the firewall. I'll be working in the manifold during the day some more. We are getting rained out for the week, that's why I made that jig yesterday.

Wastegates will be in the ac pump location on the bottom.

Today the injectors have arrived. Proper length this time and the EV1 adapters were included as well.

Here's a few shots.

Standard EV1 injector (OEM size) vs the EV14 Bosch injector.

Fresh out of the box.

Flow sheet:

Dead time data:

Quote Originally Posted by BruinBimmer
    You're inspiring me to learn how to weld. So the manifolds will join up right before the hot side of the turbo? There's still enough room in there for a downpipe? Looks pretty cramped in pics, but I'm sure it's different in person. Awesome updates.

For lubricating the turbo, is it as tapping into the oilpan and running some lines and a small pump to/from it? No need for increasing the motor's overall oil capacity (or just keeping the oil close to the max level on the dipstick)?
    Stock oil pressure sender port will be split and have an oil feed for the turbo from it(I'll be adding a couple more pressure sensors as well for the gauges and standalone). Oil drain will be a 10an braided hose running down into the upper oil pan. Right under the ac tensioner, there's an easy spot to drill and tap a fitting there for an easy oil return line.
    Yes, each half of the turbo flange will be ran to a different bank of the motor. Technically they won't interact until they hit the exhaust wheel inside the turbo:
    Last edited by DUDMD; 10-13-2012 at 03:19 AM.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i/6
    Let us enterprising people know if you'd someday be willing to sell manifolds like yours.

Aren't 1000cc injectors overkill? Off the top of my head, I don't think you'd ever manage to incur more than a 70-80% duty cycle.

Don't get me wrong, bigger is better, but I was under the impression if injectors were under-run they foul up.
    1992 BMW 850i/6speed. Stock as stock can be.

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    So no AC for this build?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast