Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: E34 540i/6 Turbo Build - The game is on.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoomakan View Post
    I'll be the 8th soon.

Congratulations on starting this. I actually started collecting parts only yesterday. I'm going to go bottom mount using 2 WRX turbos. Not aiming for your hp goal. :P

Please, PLEASE take tons of pics. Also, why are you installing the intercooler behind the radiator? If you removed everything A/C related like I have, there's ample space in front of the radiator (behind the kidneys). Also, what injectors are you going to use? That's something I'm still looking into. Wouldn't S62 injectors work?
    Intercooler going in front of the radiator.
    Injectors are Delphi 75lb (around 800cc), pretty much any injector that is a mustang fitment will work. S62 injectors won't flow enough fuel for my power goal.
    I would reconsider doing twin turbo because there is simply no space on the drivers side for the turbo. I'll be lucky to run the crossover manifold under the motor, if not then I'll have to back around the tranny and come up front again on the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
    Are you planning on running uneven length headers? Any idea on how you will be running the driver's side bank to the turbo?
    They will be uneven, but that is no a problem at all on a turbo car. I'm hoping to build a 4-1 manifold on the drivers side and run it down by the steering link to crossover if I have enough space. If not enough clearance then probably back around the bell housing.

Quote Originally Posted by E34nication View Post
    I'll have to wait until I'm back with the car to see what color they are... I can't remember. They're 42#'ers. No modification required.
    42lbers are green.

Quote Originally Posted by prash View Post
    this is going to be badass.

got any links to those other turbo M60s thta you mention?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3btEVk2n8_o[/ame]

This guy has a few vids up:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBc1CjOvmNo[/ame]

E28 M60:
    http://server.pure-pf.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=57827

E34 540i/6, small turbo but makes good torque and power still:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ght=turbo+540i

Then there's the dinan race car, which I don't have a link to the PDF right now.

And this guy:
    http://www.powerfanatics.com/forum/v...r=desc&start=0
    Last edited by DUDMD; 07-03-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i/6
    Then there's the dinan race car, which I don't have a link to the PDF right now.
    http://www.kindel.com/bmw/fast_fives.pdf

Here ya go. 650bhp on a stock internals engine.
    1992 BMW 850i/6speed. Stock as stock can be.

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    Pretty excited about this build
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    42lbers are green.
    There are multiple versions out there. I have them in black, blue, yellow, and green on ebay...not sure if those colors are manufacturer specific.

e34 540i/6 :: e30
    M62/6 :: e30 318is :: c5 Z06

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by janders211 View Post
    Pretty excited about this build

There are multiple versions out there. I have them in black, blue, yellow, and green on ebay...not sure if those colors are manufacturer specific.
    Most of the 42# ones that I have seen were green. I was thinking of getting these injectors, but then I would be almost maxing them out at the power I"m looking to get out of this thing.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    Nice I think when we looked at it the cross pipe need to go around the bellhousing, but we didn't measure or anything.

Really excited to see this get done though.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    7/4/2012 Update:
    Ordered an intercooler and BOV, they're on the way.

Removed:
    Exhaust
    Headers
    Alternator
    PS Pump
    Motor mounts that didn't last, working out the solution with the manufacturer right now.

After laying there under the car for 20 minutes figuring out how I was going to run the crossover, I have decided to run it right next to the subframe and not go back around the bellhousing. Another issue I ran into is that there is virtually no clearance to build even a log manifold with the steering box and other steering components in the way. Instead, I'm going to use the upper half of the headers, and then merge them into one 1.5" SCH10 pipe to clear the steering box crap. Only for the driver's side, the passenger side will get a log manifold to save space.

This is all of my working space on the drivers side, this is after the motor was lifted 2" and pushed over to the passenger side a little.

Not much room to work with or even reach to the headers even after Alternator, Motor Mount, and PS Pump are removed. The crank pulley was missing a bolt, 3 more bolts almost fell out, and the rest were loose too. Whoever changed the water pump years ago did not tighten the bolts.

Passenger side, lot's of room. Will be storing the passenger side manifold, twin gates, crossover pipe and the 3" down pipe all in here.

This is where the manifold's will be cut (driver's side). After cutting them up, they're going back on the motor and I'll fab up a y-joint and start building the crossover pipe from there. Took me about 40-60 minutes to get these suckers out, just because there's is almost no room to get to the nuts.

Plans for today (7/4/2012):
    Adjust the steering box since it's really easy to get to now and my steering is really sloppy.
    Start building the driver's side manifold.
    Order a few parts/supplies.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 07-04-2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 E34 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    Oh australians and your kilowatts.

Saw your thread in the fi section, looking forward to updates!
    Mine is finished, well almost, just waiting to put a Brembo BBK and that's it (I really mean it this time!)
    look here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1855067&highlight=purple

Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    The term 'kilowatts' just makes me think of the electric meter on the side of my house, which is neither fast nor cool. Horsepower is a much cooler word.
    My American brethren, HP, Miles, Feet, inches etc etc, you do realise that the rest of the world uses the Metric system don't you? It would make life infinitely better if you blokes did too!!!

I wave my private parts at your aunties you empty headed animal food trough wiper.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by kniggit

Mine is finished, well almost, just waiting to put a Brembo BBK and that's it (I really mean it this time!)
    look here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1855067&highlight=purple

My American brethren, HP, Miles, Feet, inches etc etc, you do realise that the rest of the world uses the Metric system don't you? It would make life infinitely better if you blokes did too!!!
    The rest of the world uses HP, too.

My Cars
    1995 E34 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD

The rest of the world uses HP, too.
    OK, I cede, I will bookmark a KW to HP converter and never mention it again. By the way DUD, I have a spare ESS chip (auto), is it worth anything?

I wave my private parts at your aunties you empty headed animal food trough wiper.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
    Now this peaks the fun o meter!!! The exhaust is gonna be a bitch. I hope you get it worked out.
    Dave
    2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Schwartz in and out
    2001 330xi, My DD
    1999 Z3 2.3, Montreal Blue with Beige int, Schwartz Top

My Cars
    '83 320I /M42 swap
    Would a rack and pinion swap gain some space for a better crossover solution?

Lovin the build so far, keep the updates coming!

My Cars
    e28 m5, e34 TCD S3
    Whats your timeline on finishing this project?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i, 1969 Camaro Z28/RS
    Woot, nice to see this project under way finally! I am definitely going to have to come check out some of the progress along the way.
    Jon
    '07 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Sport 6-Speed M-Sport Bumpers
    '15 Electric Mercedes
    '69 Camaro Z28/RS Hugger Orange/Black, 400hp, 4 speed manual

Previous:
    '07 BMW X3 Arctic Silver Premium/Cold Weather Package Adaptive Bi-Xenon
    '95 BMW 540i M-Sport Hellrot 6-Speed Dinan Engine/Diff Goodies Moonroof
    '98 BMW 740i Biarritzblau stock

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by kniggit View Post
    OK, I cede, I will bookmark a KW to HP converter and never mention it again. By the way DUD, I have a spare ESS chip (auto), is it worth anything?
    I'm not sure. It's worth as much as someone wants to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Taxi View Post
    Would a rack and pinion swap gain some space for a better crossover solution?

Lovin the build so far, keep the updates coming!
    It will but, converting to a rack and pinion isn't the easiest thing to do as well. I would rather work around this problem right now then spend more money on converting the steering and possibly still have clearance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroPartConnect View Post
    Whats your timeline on finishing this project?
    Not sure yet, still need to order a few parts, get my motor and tranny mounts replaced. I just work on it on my free time, not in a hurry or a race to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
    Woot, nice to see this project under way finally! I am definitely going to have to come check out some of the progress along the way.
    Anytime
    Last edited by DUDMD; 07-04-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    N/A
    This is gonna be insane!! Subscribed.

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    Everyone note what ignition coils are being used by the 1000+ hp dragster.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    Everyone note what ignition coils are being used by the 1000+ hp dragster.
    Yeah, stock. Except for they look like obd2 coils.

My Cars
    1995 540i 6speed
    wow, definitely in for the ride!
    1995 BMW 540i 6 speed with M tech goodies 1 of 5 Fjordgrau

... I hate my e46

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    7/5/2012
    Things to do:
    Working with Revshift to build stronger motor mounts that will surving the punishment (especially the driver's one) and fix the tranny mounts issue (height problem).
    Adjust the steering box since it too easy to get to right now, with everything removed on the driver's side.
    Start building the driver's side header/manifold.
    Possibly go to my friends shop and use his bandsaw to cut off the 5" flange from the exhaust housing.

My Cars
    e36, e34, e28 (rip)
    this is an awesome project.

BMW Parts Whore... BUY THEM PLEASE!!!

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    7/5/2012

Working with Revshift to build stronger motor mounts that will survive the punishment (especially the driver's one) and fix the tranny mounts issue (height problem). - EMAILS SENT, Hoping for a quick reply and indestructible mounts this time.
    In the meantime, the most ghetto engine mounts ever.

Adjust the steering box since it too easy to get to right now, with everything removed on the driver's side. - DONE, Steering is nice tight when the wheels are straight.

Driver's headers were cut where I wanted them and they're back on the motor. I won't build the crossover section until I get my new motor mounts. The motor is sitting on a couple of 2x4s. Can't do much with the manifold until I get the mounts.
    The manifold crossover pipe will be right behind the steering box as pictured here.

The 4-5" (whatever huge) v-band flange is cut off, new 3" v-band will be welded when I'm going to be welding up the manifolds.
    OLD - Whatever size that was:

NEW 3" V-band flange:

OLD vs. NEW:
    Last edited by DUDMD; 07-06-2012 at 04:54 AM.

My Cars
    1986 535i, 2012 X5 50i
    Did you looked at installing the passenger side stock exhaust manifolds in the driver's side and see how they looked? Maybe having them pointing forward might be a better option. It has been sometime since I worked on an M60 (I know that the left side is tight as hell!) so I might be wrong.
    Also, consider changing the radiator to the full aluminum E36 M3 Mishimoto unit to get rid of all plastic. You will need to source a lower Euro radiator hose for a full bolt on approach (search on this site for the thread). I had it on mine with a split joint lower radiator hose and it didn't gave me any problem up to when that SUV decided to hit my son while making a left turn!
    Jimmy Moreno
    BMW CCA 115551
    1986 535i, Arctic Blue
    2012 X5 XDrive 501, Sparkling Bronze Metallic

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jimoreno View Post
    Did you looked at installing the passenger side stock exhaust manifolds in the driver's side and see how they looked? Maybe having them pointing forward might be a better option. It has been sometime since I worked on an M60 (I know that the left side is tight as hell!) so I might be wrong.
    Also, consider changing the radiator to the full aluminum E36 M3 Mishimoto unit to get rid of all plastic. You will need to source a lower Euro radiator hose for a full bolt on approach (search on this site for the thread). I had it on mine with a split joint lower radiator hose and it didn't gave me any problem up to when that SUV decided to hit my son while making a left turn!
    No way the passenger side headers will fit. The driver's side headers barely clear the steering box as it is. One of the passenger headers also has a different bolt pattern.
    I'm gonna run the factory radiator, it has never gave me any trouble. If it does go out, then I'll probably get a slightly smaller custom radiator.

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    Damn.. 640@ the wheels in that Volvo. Awesome.
    991 | 964 | G55 | D90 | LX570 |

Past: SC'd e34 540/6, CSL'd E46 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E36 M3 turbo, E36 M3, 335D, Porsche 951, 80 Series LC, Kleeman E55 Wagon, LX470, 970 Panamera TT, E92 M3

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i/6
    Damn.. 640@ the wheels in that Volvo. Awesome.
    Right?! I had no idea M60's were as strong as Supra (2JZ-GTE) engines. They also make similar power on stock internals.
    1992 BMW 850i/6speed. Stock as stock can be.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast