Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: E34 540i/6 Turbo Build

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL

E34 540i/6 Turbo Build

1995 540i/6 E34 Black/Black

Today was the day it all begins. I have had plans for this happen for over a year now and have been collecting parts since then. Today I have finally moved the car into the spot where the build will happen.

I'm shooting for about 500-600whp with 100% stock internals. I have never even removed the valve covers yet. I will during this build, only to paint them and replace the gaskets.

As far as I could find, only about 6 of the M60 engines were ever turbocharged, 4 were not in an E34. One was in an E28 that made 700whp+, one in a Volvo that made 640whp on E85, and one that is a funny car build that makes 1200WHP with twins. There was also an E32 740i build with twin GT35Rs. Looks like I'll be 7th M60 to be turbocharged on the web.

Build will consist of:
    Twin Tial 44mm waste gates, one per bank
    Turbonetics Ball Bearing T70, T3 divided/twin scroll. Each bank will run separately until it hits the exhaust wheel.
    E32 750iL Dual Fuel pump assembly
    Twin Walbro 255lph HP pumps
    Bosch Ev14 1000cc Injectors - 60mm height with EV1 connector adapters.
    Defi 60mm Gauges (Boost, Oil P, EGT)
    PLX M300 Wideband
    Magnaflow 3" SS Muffler
    3" Stainless Steel exhaust piping
    Custom TIG welded manifolds, 1.5" SCH10
    DTA S80 Pro
    Spec Stage 3+ clutch (Already installed)
    Revshift Motor Mounts RED 95A and stock tranny mounts. I have the revshift tranny mounts, too. But think the stock tranny mounts will absorb vibration better.
    E32 750il 3.15LSD
    Plus more that I'm missing right now or can't remember at the moment.

7/2/2012:
    Washed the car

Removed permanently:
    Airbox
    MAF
    AC System entirely
    Mechanical Fan
    Shroud
    Radiator(going back in later)

I then test fit the turbo and it looks like it will be a nice home for it, pictures are going to show about where the turbo will sit. Not so much luck with the air to water intercooler. It would work but I didn't like the fitment and decided to use the normal air to air intercooler due to a much simpler install and less problems down the road.

Pictures from today:

Enough clearance to stuff a fat front mount in front of the radiator.

Last edited by DUDMD; 10-11-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    2004 Chevy Trailblazer
    Wow, jealous! This is a dream of mine!!!

My Cars
    a few e30s
    So youre going single? How are you going to route the drivers side exhaust to the turbo? Doesnt look like theres much room.

My Cars
    1993 M5
    Is it allusil or nikasil block and have you given it any thought about

the longevity of the block? Even if the tune is spot on?.

Looking forward to more updates in the future.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jrode34m5 View Post
    Is it allusil or nikasil block and have you given it any thought about

the longevity of the block? Even if the tune is spot on?.

Looking forward to more updates in the future.
    Never checked the number to verify. If it can't handle the power than I'm going with an M62 once this one let's go.

Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    So youre going single? How are you going to route the drivers side exhaust to the turbo? Doesnt look like theres much room.
    Under the motor or around the bellhousing the in the back.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 07-03-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    none
    Build looks great! Not sure what your power goals are but the hotside seems small, no? Its a twin scroll T3 correct?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    Build looks great! Not sure what your power goals are but the hotside seems small, no? Its a twin scroll T3 correct?
    500-600whp will make me happy, turbo should flow well beyond that.
    T3 twin scroll, not sure on the AR right now but it's huge.

My Cars
    none
    The T3 flange in itself is not huge. I'm sure it will be a blast tho! Post up the specs of the wheels sometime if you can. (inducer/exducer on comp/exhaust)

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    The T3 flange in itself is not huge. I'm sure it will be a blast tho! Post up the specs of the wheels sometime if you can. (inducer/exducer on comp/exhaust)
    I will, when I take it apart to cut off the 5" v-band flange. Going to weld on a 3" v-band flange on it.

My Cars
    none
    5'' vband for the turbine exit?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    5'' vband for the turbine exit?
    Yeah, apparently it's a 5" housing that was meant to be used for a dodge cummins as an upgrade.
    I can easily cut that flange off and weld on a 3" v-band flange in it's place.

7/4/2012 Update:
    Ordered an intercooler and BOV, they're on the way.

Removed:
    Exhaust
    Headers
    Alternator
    PS Pump
    Motor mounts that didn't last, working out the solution with the manufacturer right now.

After laying there under the car for 20 minutes figuring out how I was going to run the crossover, I have decided to run it right next to the subframe and not go back around the bellhousing. Another issue I ran into is that there is virtually no clearance to build even a log manifold with the steering box and other steering components in the way. Instead, I'm going to use the upper half of the headers, and then merge them into one 1.5" SCH10 pipe to clear the steering box crap. Only for the driver's side, the passenger side will get a log manifold to save space.

This is all of my working space on the drivers side, this is after the motor was lifted 2" and pushed over to the passenger side a little.

Not much room to work with or even reach to the headers even after Alternator, Motor Mount, and PS Pump are removed. The crank pulley was missing a bolt, 3 more bolts almost fell out, and the rest were loose too. Whoever changed the water pump years ago did not tighten the bolts.

Passenger side, lot's of room. Will be storing the passenger side manifold, twin gates, crossover pipe and the 3" down pipe all in here.

This is where the manifold's will be cut (driver's side). After cutting them up, they're going back on the motor and I'll fab up a y-joint and start building the crossover pipe from there. Took me about 40-60 minutes to get these suckers out, just because there's is almost no room to get to the nuts.

Plans for today (7/4/2012):
    Adjust the steering box since it's really easy to get to now and my steering is really sloppy.
    Start building the driver's side manifold.
    Order a few parts/supplies.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 07-04-2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 Chevy Trailblazer
    Nice work, I'm subscribed!

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    7/5/2012

Working with Revshift to build stronger motor mounts that will survive the punishment (especially the driver's one) and fix the tranny mounts issue (height problem). - EMAILS SENT, Hoping for a quick reply and indestructible mounts this time.
    In the meantime, the most ghetto engine mounts ever.

Adjust the steering box since it too easy to get to right now, with everything removed on the driver's side. - DONE, Steering is nice tight when the wheels are straight.

Driver's headers were cut where I wanted them and they're back on the motor. I won't build the crossover section until I get my new motor mounts. The motor is sitting on a couple of 2x4s. Can't do much with the manifold until I get the mounts.
    The manifold crossover pipe will be right behind the steering box as pictured here.

The 4-5" (whatever huge) v-band flange is cut off, new 3" v-band will be welded when I'm going to be welding up the manifolds.
    OLD - Whatever size that was:

NEW 3" ID V-band flange:

OLD vs. NEW:
    Last edited by DUDMD; 07-06-2012 at 05:00 AM.

My Cars
    95 540/6
    Oh yea baby this sucker gonna go vrooom vroom

By the way I found a m540i//6 for 4800 blk on blk really clean only 120k on it. time to upgrade son
    Last edited by bavauto; 07-06-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Will you be tuning the ProEFI for e85?? Meth???

What is the factory compression on the m60?

Interested to see how this pans out, we've thought about developing a low boost kit at the shop for a while now.
    Last edited by e30polak; 07-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by e30polak
    Will you be tuning the ProEFI for e85?? Meth???

What is the factory compression on the m60?

Interested to see how this pans out, we've thought about developing a low boost kit at the shop for a while now.
    034EFI is the standalone I have. I'm going for pump gas first. Then either e85 or c16 to make some more power.

I believe compression is around 10:1

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Nice plan and build so far!

I would look into different injectors though. Those Delphi are basically cheap GM/Rodchester units that were modded to flow more. They are designed for N/A applications and really don't atomize well and end up falling off their flow rates really quickly/easily.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    Nice plan and build so far!

I would look into different injectors though. Those Delphi are basically cheap GM/Rodchester units that were modded to flow more. They are designed for N/A applications and really don't atomize well and end up falling off their flow rates really quickly/easily.
    Thanks.
    I'll run them at first, if I see any inconsistent burning on the plugs I'll probably switch to a better injector. My friend is running a set on his turbo honda with 0 problems.

Didn't do anything to the car today and yesterday, was on the dyno with my friend getting his Type R tuned. It made 747whp at 30psi until a lean condition in the 4th cylinder blew the headgasket. Possibly a clogged injector or a bad intake manifold gasket caused that. We were going to push it to max out the 4 bar map sensor at 42-43psi. Not bad for a 2.0 with a 67mm turbo. (This car was running ID2000's, love them)

My Cars
    95 540i/6, 91 TT, 03 4.6
    Just do a R&P swap and ditch the steering box. There are a number of racks with similar enough dimensions that could work (just have to make sure it's a rear mounted rack). The fab work shouldn't be enough to scare you.

I already have a rack on hand for when I do the s62 swap...

95 540i/6 - M62, vortech v2S, 42lb inj, LWFW, intercooled, ostrich 2.0 etc etc
    94 325is - Hamann STW widebody, wheels & exhaust, stg 4 dinan s52 obd1 swap, 3.15lsd, 4pt cage, status seat etc.
    99 540iT - 6spd swapped - Sold
    03 X5 4.6is - Tow Rig
    02 M5 - Track toy
    91 300zx TT - "Garage Queen"

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    Thanks.
    I'll run them at first, if I see any inconsistent burning on the plugs I'll probably switch to a better injector. My friend is running a set on his turbo honda with 0 problems.

Didn't do anything to the car today and yesterday, was on the dyno with my friend getting his Type R tuned. It made 747whp at 30psi until a lean condition in the 4th cylinder blew the headgasket. Possibly a clogged injector or a bad intake manifold gasket caused that. We were going to push it to max out the 4 bar map sensor at 42-43psi. Not bad for a 2.0 with a 67mm turbo. (This car was running ID2000's, love them)
    This post is kind of funny! 0 problems with the injectors except a problem with one of the injectors! Nice! Hahaha
    Last edited by Colby Colbs; 07-08-2012 at 04:05 PM.

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Quote Originally Posted by E34play
    Just do a R&P swap and ditch the steering box. There are a number of racks with similar enough dimensions that could work (just have to make sure it's a rear mounted rack). The fab work shouldn't be enough to scare you.

Details please?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    This post is kind of funny! 0 problems with the injectors except a problem with one of the injectors! Nice! Hahaha
    My good friend that runs Delphi 1000cc injectors hasn't had an issue with them at all.

Type R getting dynoed yesterday was on Injector Dynamics 2000cc injectors and twin walbros.
    He had a broken valve on this head, that got fixed. It is possible that is was ported out more than it was before the valve broke. It would cause a lean condition. Maybe the injector caught a piece of debris or dirt in the filter, and on a 2000cc injector it would change the flow a lot. But any injector can get clogged. He's tearing it apart right now, going to flow test the head, flow the injectors, and pressure test the intake manifold tomorrow to see what caused the problem.

I'm going to sell my 75lb Delphi injectors and 38lb Lucas injectors. I'll probably pick up a set of Bosch EV14 now, that way I only have to tune once.

Quote Originally Posted by E34play View Post

I'll just leave the box alone. Going to work around it, only thing the box didn't let me do is make a complete custom manifold. I'm using less than a foot of each factory header on the driver's side.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 07-08-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Thanks, great thread and more E34 M60/M62 love! I would not mind ditching my 2 year aftercooler plans and go turbo with steering box mod.
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    BMW 2002
    All this work and T3... why?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by VwAlex
    All this work and T3... why?
    Why not?
    What's your issue with my t3 turbo? It's not like I have a fully built motor trying to make 1200hp and push it to the limit. My friend is actually running a t3 turbo on the type r mentioned above, made 747 at 30 psi. He still has another 12 pounds of boost to go until the map sensor is maxed out. Precision turbos are amazing with their billet wheels. He's using a 6765 turbo on that Type R.

T3 is just the flange size, the actual housing is huge and will flow a lot. T3 is much more spool friendly over a t4 anyways, due to higher manifold pressure. That's exactly what I want on a street car.

Quote Originally Posted by BigM62
    Thanks, great thread and more E34 M60/M62 love! I would not mind ditching my 2 year aftercooler plans and go turbo with steering box mod.
    Thanks
    Last edited by DUDMD; 07-09-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast