Thread: Installing Extreme Dimension fiberglas kit.

My Cars
    04 325 Ci

Installing Extreme Dimension fiberglas kit.

I decided to go this route after she got rear ended and jacked up the rear bumper. I like playing around with stuff. I don't like the look of to many stock cars. I didn't like the look of the American bumpers. And... it's my car and I can do what ever i want.

Buyer beware of this product. So far, the rear bumper did not line up, but looks like a similar pic i found online. I am working on the side skirts and both sides are 5/8" too short; so I am adding fiberglas in the middle. Haven't gotten to the front yet.

I will be grafting skirts to body before all is done. Paint may take a while... but i got nothing but time.

Robert
    04' 325Ci (Daily Driver)
    03' X5 (Wifes)

My Cars
    635csi, 325is, 740il
    Looking good. I like the way that grafts into the rear bumper.

Alex

All cars are money pits, it's just that some people love theirs more than others.

The '85

The '83

My Cars
    04 325 Ci
    i had to cut good section on the top to get it to fit. Each piece is seemingly molded short. The original bumper section had an additional 1-1 1/2", but i had to cut it to get the end that fits up to the back of the wheel well to fit.
    I am in the process adding fiberglass to the passenger sideskirt.
    This post isn't to bash E.D. ... although i find the issue of the pieces being short more difficult than originally expected. I expected to do some modification.... but not factory modification.

That is with the back section taped in proper place. It's about 5/8" short up front.

Here you can see the original corner i had to cut.
    Last edited by rvaughnp; 07-02-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    Robert
    04' 325Ci (Daily Driver)
    03' X5 (Wifes)

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    That's much more cost effective than buying original parts.
    I was going to fit a Duraflex front bumper/spoiler to my car after I hit a kangaroo but it turned out that the damage wasn't that bad and the original was fixed.

I was going to refit the chrome bits and the rubber strip to see if it looked original.

Now my car has been hit in the back by a 4wd whose brakes weren't quite as good as my e32 brakes; and I've lost her contact details so I might be getting a Duraflex rear bumper yet.
    First I'll see if anyone can straighten the chrome bumper.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by rvaughnp View Post
    I decided to go this route after she got rear ended and jacked up the rear bumper. I like playing around with stuff. I don't like the look of to many stock cars. I didn't like the look of the American bumpers. And... it's my car and I can do what ever i want.

Buyer beware of this product. So far, the rear bumper did not line up, but looks like a similar pic i found online. I am working on the side skirts and both sides are 5/8" too short; so I am adding fiberglas in the middle. Haven't gotten to the front yet.

I will be grafting skirts to body before all is done. Paint may take a while... but i got nothing but time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rvaughnp View Post
    i had to cut good section on the top to get it to fit. Each piece is seemingly molded short. The original bumper section had an additional 1-1 1/2", but i had to cut it to get the end that fits up to the back of the wheel well to fit.
    I am in the process adding fiberglass to the passenger sideskirt.
    This post isn't to bash E.D. ... although i find the issue of the pieces being short more difficult than originally expected. I expected to do some modification.... but not factory modification.

That is with the back section tape in proper place. It's about 5/8" short.

Here you can see the original corner i had to cut.
    im sorry but im a bit confused. the 1st and 2nd pic dont look like the same bumper. Which did you get from ED?

My Cars
    04 325 Ci
    The caption under the 2nd pic...
    Same bumper... i had to cut the lip off of the original bumper to get it to move forward to wrap around the wheel well.
    In the lower pic you can see that it fits the wheel well and the back... but it leaves that "metal lip" exposed. In addition... if i left it at the hieight in the lower pic it would not match the same height as the side skirts.
    So... i cut that lip so and raised the bumper over the "metal lip", pulled it forward and called it good. There is a pic of another distributor that replacates the top pic.
    I hope that makes sense.

Oh... with the bumper up where it is, upper pic, the exhaust shows more than i would like it.
    Robert
    04' 325Ci (Daily Driver)
    03' X5 (Wifes)

My Cars
    2002 325i
    ok now i follow you. the 2nd pic is the before and the 1st pic is the after. sorry all caught up now. yeah that does leave the exhaust out a bit doesnt it.

Do you have any further shows to show the sides skirts and rear bumper line up.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    This reminds me of the Zender kit that was made for these cars back in the day.

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/983...Zender-Spoiler

Scroll all the way down to the red car.

Where did you find this part? Who makes it?

My Cars
    04 325 Ci
    its not just that the exhaust is out... the bumper is really high.
    yes i have more pics. will post them as i go.

edit - http://extremedimensions.com/76-89-E24-ZRS-Kit.html

It needs to be stressed... to get the "snug" look... you will be cutting the upper lip shown in the bottom pic... to get the bumper to pull forward to wrap around the wheel well. In addition... it sits up high and off the existing location of the exhaust tips.
    I will mention this again as i get cloaser to getting each piece on.
    Last edited by rvaughnp; 07-03-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    Robert
    04' 325Ci (Daily Driver)
    03' X5 (Wifes)

My Cars
    2002 325i

My Cars
    04 325 Ci
    Cut the center section of the original aluminum bump and then tried to get the original bumper mounts to line up with the bumper "shocks"; didn't work. I used spray foam to fill in the voids between the bumper section and the bumper shell.

It is alot more rigid... but will be ultimately will be hanging (fiberglassed) onto the lip at bottom of pic (green tape to the left).
    I had knee surgery in mid July and i have a few more weeks of therapy to go. It is on the top of the list of things to do.
    Last edited by rvaughnp; 08-12-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    Robert
    04' 325Ci (Daily Driver)
    03' X5 (Wifes)

My Cars
    04 325 Ci
    Started on the front. I believe i have said this before... This "kit" is pathetic when it comes to lining up. This is not a plug and play kit.
    Any who...

I had to cut the top, middle and lower sections to get it to "fold" the two ends together to get them to meet at the fender.

Side shot.

This is under the new fiberglas.
    I believe I am going to keep from installing the side skirts. I may go ahead and tempory them in and see.
    Next is to fill in and graft the rear fender. The front i am going to leave non-grafted. I still have to install some front brackets to the bottom and then permanently adhere the front bumper to the existing bumper section underneath.
    Last edited by rvaughnp; 11-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    Robert
    04' 325Ci (Daily Driver)
    03' X5 (Wifes)

My Cars
    e24, e21
    Looking good. Can we get some profile shots?

My Cars
    '86 635csi 5spd.
    I think it will look good when finished... It's a lot of work though.
    Val (a.k.a. chevale)
    Stuff For Sale

My Cars
    '75 e12, '81 e24, '91 M5
    I hope you like it.

'85 635csi euro conversion SOLD
    '81 euro 635csi undergoing restoration
    '75 e12 hotrod under the knife
    '91 ///M5 daily driver
    bk_burnout@hotmail.com
    Brent

My Cars
    04 325 Ci
    Finally got the bumper bondo'd in. Still needs touch up. Just got tired of having it open and undone.

And that's how its going to stay until I have a paint job done.

Now onto the front bumper.
    Robert
    04' 325Ci (Daily Driver)
    03' X5 (Wifes)

My Cars
    1985 635 CSI
    I just purchased these Items. They look pretty good. Will be installing in the next few weeks. after they are painted and installed I will provide photos for someone to post.