Thread: Dinan SC: Rev Limiter: Ingnition or Fuel cut out?

Dinan SC: Rev Limiter: Ingnition or Fuel cut out?

Does anyone know if our rev limiter is ingnition cut out or fuel cut out? The guy at the dyno ask me this right before he ran my car. I admitted that I didn't know.
    Banic
    1995 M3 48K miles
    Early Dinan Powerdyne Superchager
    Production Date 4/95

My Cars
    '04 GT3, '04 Lexus GX470, '92 Toy 4x4 ("Pablo")
    They are all fuel cuts as if you cut the ignition and not the fuel, when you do "relight" it, it will basically explode.

A while back, I recall a story told by Jim Conforti. He was messing around with an E36 (I think it was an M3)...he thought "hmmm, I wonder if I cut the ignition instead of the fuel what would happen". He cut the ignition and not the fuel, and all of the unburnt fuel when into the exhaust system.....when the ignition came back on....BOOM (could be that it was just all of the unbirnt fuel hitting the cats or muffler, I dont recall exactly, maybe he will chime in). Bottom line though, it ignited all of the unburnt fuel. So....our cars are a fuel cut...not ignition cut. Tim

1995 M3 (sold)
    1997 M3/4 (sold)
    2004 GT3
    2008 E90 M3 on order -- week 23 build -- DCT and 19's!

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3 Cabrio '95
    Mmmm, good post "ArcticFox".
    Now I'm really scared about hit the rev limit. Instead of an explosion in the exhaust, I can break the pistons because of detonations, no? All that FI load at high speed in 5th gear can really broke all my pistons without enough fuel..., no?

Very well, is not good to cut the ignition..., but I'm wonder if we can cut also the ignition and the fuel in the same time..., it will not be a perfect sport engine ?

What can be the disadvantage to cut both the fuel and ignition?
    CRISTIAN
    ----------------------