Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temp & Oil Press Gauge Install S-54

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
    Nice work Randy.

I'm guessing that on your M one of the oil lines that attaches to your oil distribution block feeds filtered oil to the supercharger. Are you attaching to your filter housing where the OP switched attached and is this filtered oil.

The Z3 2.8L has one oil line attached to the filter housing which feeds the variable cam timing.:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=11&fg=30

This BMP Design oil pressure sending unit adapter ( 12 X 1.5mm banjo bolt) would solve half my problem. I'll need two 1/8 " NPT females. I guess it attaches where the OEM pressure switch attached.
    http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exe...earch_model/64

BMP calibrates their OP sending unit to match a 150 PSI gauge. Is anyone running oil pressure anywhere near 150 PSI?

I guess the down tube on my oil filter housing cap was not designed to snap off although it snaps on. I pulled hard on it but no luck getting it off. I think it was on the verge of breaking. If I could see how it's made I could go ahead with my plan of installing the OP gauge on top of the housing without worrying about oil bypassing the filter (it won't if I don't drill through the top of the down tube.) and save a lot of bother and expense. It will indicate OP before the filter but that will do for now.
    Last edited by DuWop; 08-03-2013 at 10:17 PM.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    If you are looking at an oil pressure gauge, then 150 psi is a good range. Generally, you want a gauge that measures roughly double what the operating pressure is, so at normal operating pressure, you are running at the center of the gauge range, ie. about 75 psi.
    Off hand, I can't tell you normal operating pressure for M52 or S52 engines, but I would expect around 75 psi warm?
    -Donny

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    If you are looking at an oil pressure gauge, then 150 psi is a good range. Generally, you want a gauge that measures roughly double what the operating pressure is, so at normal operating pressure, you are running at the center of the gauge range, ie. about 75 psi.
    Off hand, I can't tell you normal operating pressure for M52 or S52 engines, but I would expect around 75 psi warm?
    -Donny
    Thanks for the info.

Looks handy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-2...afb37e&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by DuWop; 08-05-2013 at 03:39 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8L

$35 invested

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    How easy is it to see when you're driving?

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    http://www.autosparky.com/Shops/Shop...ressure+Switch

- - - Updated - - -

On at ~55 PSI and flashing, ~5 PSI below normal operating pressure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yellow-Oil-P...item4d07a7ae50
    Last edited by DuWop; 08-09-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Got rid of my clock,that was to dim to see. Installed a V D O volt gauge in its place.I used the wiring from the clock to hook up the volt gauge.Worked great! I now use the clock on the radio dial.I am now installing the A pillar gauges for oil temp. and oil pressure.I am using the Auto Meter gauge pod (20040,I think) and it fits like a glove and looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by DuWop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    All he has to do is cut a hole in the hood and mount a prism above it...

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Haha I don't understand the point of that gauge.
    -Joe

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8L

Moon Kma

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Use your imagination if possible

Flashing the low oil pressure light.
    Substitute the high oil temp sender (switch) in his circuit, for a 430.160 or330.160CPS set at 5 psi below the normal oil pressure, and include a throttle limit switch or vacuum switch, which ever is easier.
    http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/flasher...ing_lights.htm
    I could do this with a 555 timer (if I can find my book and time) and control the flash rate with capacitors.

A flashing light-bulb will burn out fast so it wold be best to bypass the flash circuit with a resistor that would lower the light intensity to around 50% which would result in bright, dim, bright, dim........

Add another flash circuit to the low oil pressure light for high cylinder head temperature, or choose a different existing warning light, or some lights on the dash would do. I considered using the small light under the light switch but the circuit would be slightly more work and parts. There are many ways to do this but I don't want to drill holes in my baby to install LEDs.

I could have my 3 y/o granddaughter watch the oil pressure gauge. We could use a string and tin cans for her to call out the oil pressure every ten seconds. I think she will fit under the hood.

Likely I will find an easier way to do this so I don't have to build circuits. A solid-state turn signal flasher would likely do the job but the flash rate would likely be to slow. http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...fm/4,7740.html

http://www.autosparky.com/Shops/Shop...ressure+Switch

Plastic Case Heavy Duty Adjustable Oil Pressure Switch.
    • Normally closed / normally open contacts.
    • Dual circuit.
    • Contacts close at falling or rising pressure.
    • Switch is preset @ 60 PSI, but adjustable between 51 - 90 PSI.
    • 3 Screw terminals.
    • Application: Universal oil pressure switch to operate a warning light on dash when pressure rises or falls.
    • Thread: 1/8"-27NPTF.
    • Contact rating: 5watt.

Price : $ 70.79 (a bit expensive but likely good quality)

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Kyoa.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
    I don't trust the JB Weld. I ordered this aluminum oil filter housing lid from BMP design :

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe SC'd
    I had Jeff and Kelly custom manufacture a gauge pod for me including modifying innovate gauges to match VDO gauges, bezels and all! I don't have access to a picture right now but here's a link or two…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocknro...7612666845763/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocknro...7619422329901/
    Last edited by say mmmm; 12-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    Mods: A Few...Rod Bearings, VF Eng. SC stage 1 - 5 lbs, HP Coil packs, Underdrive Pulleys, Organic race Clutch, CDV Delete, Shift pins, Short shift kit w/bushings, Shortened shift lever, Randy's Subframe, IE Bushings, TCKline suspension, Adj. Cast. Camb. (front), Adj. Camb. (rear) 700# springs, RSM, Rogue cover, Metric Mechanix trick variable ramp LSD 3.46, Wilwood Big Brakes, 18" CCW LM's, 315 30R 18, PSII's Complete custom exhaust… Ceramic coated headers ID/OD, Race cats, Eisenmann sport w/83 mm, Custom gauge pod, Custom gauges, Dual Wide band Air/Fuel monitoring, Built-in scan gauge, Becker Traffic Pro, Seat hump removal-both sides, Seat front raise, ACS rare low profile rear wing, Smoked tails, HID's Lightly smoked,
    Special Thanks To: Randy Forbes Rocknroad 2Kredz3 MC28REPSOL IslandS62 Clintjg jonesmechanical Ron Stygar and many more on our board!

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    GAME OVER

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by say mmmm View Post
    I had Jeff and Kelly custom manufacture a gauge pod for me including modifying innovate gauges to match VDO gauges, bezels and all! I don't have access to a picture right now but here's a link or two…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocknro...7612666845763/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocknro...7619422329901/
    Very impressive and eloquent solution.
    Just curious where you able to make this modification without removing the dash??

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe SC'd
    Yes and may I add that the gauges are... Boost, oil pressure & A/F ratio, not the clock!
    Mods: A Few...Rod Bearings, VF Eng. SC stage 1 - 5 lbs, HP Coil packs, Underdrive Pulleys, Organic race Clutch, CDV Delete, Shift pins, Short shift kit w/bushings, Shortened shift lever, Randy's Subframe, IE Bushings, TCKline suspension, Adj. Cast. Camb. (front), Adj. Camb. (rear) 700# springs, RSM, Rogue cover, Metric Mechanix trick variable ramp LSD 3.46, Wilwood Big Brakes, 18" CCW LM's, 315 30R 18, PSII's Complete custom exhaust… Ceramic coated headers ID/OD, Race cats, Eisenmann sport w/83 mm, Custom gauge pod, Custom gauges, Dual Wide band Air/Fuel monitoring, Built-in scan gauge, Becker Traffic Pro, Seat hump removal-both sides, Seat front raise, ACS rare low profile rear wing, Smoked tails, HID's Lightly smoked,
    Special Thanks To: Randy Forbes Rocknroad 2Kredz3 MC28REPSOL IslandS62 Clintjg jonesmechanical Ron Stygar and many more on our board!

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Very nice! Would there be any chance of having more of these gray faced gauges produced?
    I for one would be all over it. I'd want to replace my clock & outside temp gauges with proper gray faced Boost, oil pressure & A/F ratio.
    Please let me know if we can pull this off?
    Last edited by E.Hands; 01-02-2014 at 09:38 AM.

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Hands View Post
    Very nice! Would there be any chance of having more of these gray faced gauges produced?
    I for one would be all over it. I'd want to replace my clock & outside temp gauges with proper gray faced Boost, oil pressure & A/F ratio.
    Try rocknroad, although IIRC he said he would never take that on again!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Hands View Post
    Boost? I don't remember any boost...?

I do have one of Jeff's dashtop gauge pods though, had planned to use it on my black car, but doubt I can ever bring myself to cutting my own dashboard (didn't mind doing Zoran's, way back when... ).

Yes Dan, install from the top without removing dashboard. I have some pictures of it somewhere, but can't find the folder they're in (haven't looked in my twinscrew install yet...).

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe SC'd

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    I don't trust the JB Weld. I ordered this aluminum oil filter housing lid from BMP design :

i know, old thread. i'm learning a ton on this forum.

at any rate, i seem to worry too much about my actual oil pressure/temp and engine temp. i'd like this car to last a very long time.

anyway... i like the BMP design filter lid... but assume you have to unscrew your stuff before you remove it with each oil change (not a big deal i know)

I have the S52, and as i understand it, this would screw into the rear of the filter housing and i could then add at least one from here... no??

http://rallyroad.net/content/oil-feed-adapter-block

i'd like to find an iphone app that keeps up with all this in the Z3M but after days of reading, i'm just confused.
    Last edited by crashgordan; 08-06-2014 at 02:59 PM.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe

JB Weld not needed

Just to clarify...I originally built up the Thermostat housing with JB Weld just to get more material to tap and mount the WATER TEMP sender.
    But after it cracked I removed the JB and found that with teflon tape the sender seals fine into the threads I tapped into the housing.

The housing is expensive at $150 bmw part 11537831103

But I had the tap and drill so it cost me nothing to try it.

VAC does sell an adapter a more elegant solution which cost around $80, but I tried installing it 3 times and it kept leaking.
    I'm sure with more patience I could have gotten it to work but it is a real PITA so I ended up sending it back.
    http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...old-p1768.aspx
    Last edited by CMM3; 08-11-2014 at 02:06 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    It's been a year... How's everthing holding up??
    Any new better solutions out there?

My Cars
    2002 Z3 Coupe

How has this worked out also? The aluminum replacement cited above does not have the plastic cage that, when the oil filter is installed, lines the inside of it to help prevent an imploding filter. Has this been an issue?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12