Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old 525i needs some restoring, any suggestions?

My Cars
    91 E34 525i

Old 525i needs some restoring, any suggestions?

There's a couple of things going wrong with my car. Iv had it for about 3 years now, bought from 1st time owner. I wasnt the one to actually choose out the car or buy it though, but i was happy. Its an awesome car.

-My first problem is that someone backed in to the car a while after i purchased it. They destroyed the grill, although it is still hanging in there... (only the black plastic, the metal is all gone) so i am wondering how i would go around and getting this replaced? Is my best bet just to find a similar car in the junkyard and scrap it?

-My sunroof seems to be stuck, i can get it to go up from the back, but when i want to open the whole thing, there seems to be a jam and i have no idea how to take it apart :P

-I have seat twist in my passenger seat, im trying to work on that.

-I need to replace the radio/speakers, but i dont know how to take that out either.

-Someone stole one of the plastic covers that go on the headlights. I have both highbeams, but the light on the right is missing. Any ideas where i can purchase one of these?

-Someone also stole one of my hubcaps, i need to replace that as well... It might be hard, since its a gold one, but what do i know.

-Im also missing the cover for one of the fog lights...

As you guys can see, there's quite a few things going wrong with the car. I have fallen deeply in love with it and its engine and would hate to see it just break apart slowly. Therefore, i am taking it upon on repairing as much as i can by myself, so any advice is appreciated.

If anyone needs any additional details about the car, just let me know.

L.

My Cars
    1992 525i
    congratulations, your car needs some random little projects like everyone elses. use the google machine for everything, its you best friend.

1. you can get almost everything you need from the junkyard
    2. get the radio online and look up attack eagles Blau amp bypass
    3. search seat twist fix in DIY section, it's been covered
    4. chances are plastic pieces inside the sunroof have blown to pieces, look up how to take it apart(a Bentley book is best), see what's broken, and then look up a diagram on realoem.com and order new little plastic parts from pelicanparts.com

My Cars
    various
    I'd move first before doing any repairs. sounds like your neighbors are a little shifty......

My Cars
    91 E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo710 View Post
    congratulations, your car needs some random little projects like everyone elses. use the google machine
    Thanks for your reply Mateo. Iv actually never worked on cars so this is going to be my first project, so any advice is appreciated.

Regarding the stolen parts, there was this other guy with a project beamer like mine, his was missing a lot, and afterwords sold and moved. Im guessing he was the one that stole my stuff.

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ley3198 View Post
    Thanks for your reply Mateo. Iv actually never worked on cars so this is going to be my first project, so any advice is appreciated.

Regarding the stolen parts, there was this other guy with a project beamer like mine, his was missing a lot, and afterwords sold and moved. Im guessing he was the one that stole my stuff.
    Does this mean you are going to steal from another bimmer now?

Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    the bees knees

My Cars
    '92 525i '88 325IS
    Junkyard for the missing parts,
    how sure are you that the radio is bad?
    the speakers are very easy to change i'm sure there is a writeup around here.

My Cars
    91 E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplane94 View Post
    Does this mean you are going to steal from another bimmer now?
    I may not be rich, but destroying other peoples hard earned stuff isnt my thing. I dont know how my post would motivate you to think id do the same.

Im just a youngster trying to fix my car up. I have way to many good memories to just see it fall apart slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionz View Post
    Junkyard for the missing parts,
    how sure are you that the radio is bad?
    the speakers are very easy to change i'm sure there is a writeup around here.
    I honestly dont know what exaxtly it is. It just doesnt turn on anymore. When it was turning on, almost all the speakers were horribly screeching. Its actually a result of a hissy fit i had that involved cutting a wire that Was in the trunk.

If anyone is willing to help, i can provide detailed pictures.
    Last edited by Ley3198; 06-25-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    I hear ya!

Lots of the removal procedure for the things you listed can be found in this book:

"The bentley manual"

It costs 60 bucks, but here is a pdf version of it. It is free.
    http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/5-s...0-a-42558.html

the bees knees

My Cars
    91 E34 525i
    I hear ya!

Lots of the removal procedure for the things you listed can be found in this book:

"The bentley manual"

It costs 60 bucks, but here is a pdf version of it. It is free.
    http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/5-s...0-a-42558.html
    Thank you! I will go ahead and give this a read as soon as its finished downloading.

Today i managed to fix the seat twist in my passenger seat, so im quite content with that, next i will try the sunroof, although i dont know how far i will get with that.

Iv mentioned this, but again, this is my first time getting in to the whole car fixing scene. Iv been pretty jaded and have relied on Work shops way to long, so i think its time i step my game up and learn how to fix my ride. Its rather hard to learn about cars when you don't have someone teaching you hands on, so like iv said before, all this help is really appreciated.

Ill put up some pics of Cid (as in Cid Highwind (thats what i call my car btw... if you get the gaming reference, your awesome)) tomorrow in its current condition, and ill try try to show what needs fixing.

My Cars
    1994 530i

Thumbs up

Salavage yards and CL auto parts section are the best places for used parts for our cars. I have seen nearly complete E34s over the past 2 years in the yards, just need to look. Trim pieces and external body parts are usually cheap, as well. Interior pieces can be a crap shoot.

My Cars
    94 M5T
    if you're in monterey there's a great wrecking yard in moss landing, one of the ones before you hit the pick n pull (there are like 5 wrecking yards on that street), that seems to have some nice bmw's.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    91 E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by mottati View Post
    if you're in monterey there's a great wrecking yard in moss landing, one of the ones before you hit the pick n pull (there are like 5 wrecking yards on that street), that seems to have some nice bmw's.
    Thank you for that advice. Iv been thinking about going out there for a while now, but havent had the chance. It will probably be the first place i check.

Here are some pics of my car. Like i said before, it needs work... and a paint job :P

Result of someone backing in to my car... I checked the grill, and its not THAT bad. It seems all i need is the center grill and the metal trim that goes underneath. You can also notice the headlight cover that was stolen from the car and a missing foglight cover.

If you see right above the wheel, someone backed into me... again.

Decent interior.

Also, the paint cancer is on the top part of the whole car. I didnt want to put a picture of it because it just looks bad.
    Last edited by Ley3198; 06-27-2012 at 02:26 AM.

My Cars
    '95 540iA

My Cars
    '95 540iA

the bees knees

My Cars
    91 E34 525i
    Awesome, thank a lot.

The only problem i think i might have is putting it all back together. The damage from the hit also bent some of the interior metal that holds the grill in.

Also, something the car has just recently been doing, but i havent really payed attention is that it beeps constantly at me. My door doesnt close completely, so it beeps for the door open notification (that doesnt bother me), but sometimes it beeps 3 times and that, i have no idea what it is.

Me thinks my CCU is fried, since sometimes when iv driven for a long time it randomly starts throwing different errors.

Any thoughts?

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    The three beeps is the hourly chime at every hour and 59 minutes. IT means your OBC is working properly.

To turn it off press the hr/date button until the time is shown. Then press the s/r button.
    The hourly chime signal indicator in the corner of the screen should go out.

Elaborate on some of the messages from the ccm. They should all be fixable or patchable.
    Last edited by paperplane94; 06-28-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

the bees knees

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Hit up the picknpull off of dolan rd in moss landing (as mentioned). Also, I live in seaside, you should come out to our meet in sand city next Saturday evening.
    Last edited by Baupfhor; 06-28-2012 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    90 535i, 86 535is,truck
    Quote Originally Posted by Ley3198 View Post
    I may not be rich, but destroying other peoples hard earned stuff isnt my thing.
    that's the spirit! nice car man, check the classifieds section and ebay, generally youll find anything youre looking for. my 525 has ex girlfriend damage dont be afraid to post the ugly pics of your car, some of us can help you with that
    1992 BMW 525ia-CalypsoRot Metallic/Parchment , 2.5" catback, 231k miles- SOLD- RIP
    1990 BMW 535ia-Schwartz/Beige, Turner Motorsport performance chip, Millie Miglia 1000 17" wheels on Falken tires, 60/40 Lowtec Drop Springs, 2 12" Polk Audio subs, Polk Audio Speakers all around, 2200w 4ch Planet Audio amp, 1500w Kicker 2ch amp, 224k miles- Project
    1986 535is-Cosmo Bleau Metallic/Beige, 25/35 drop springs, Lightened flywheel, short shifter, 5spd swap, e36 m3 wheels w/Falken tires, 6"' bass pump sub, 400w dual amp, jvc HU, 215k miles-Project

Others in my drive:
    1994 540ia-Granitsilber Metallic/Gray, Throwing star wheels w/BF Goodrich G-Force Tires, 8000k hid low-FOR SALE $2500obo
    1998 Chevy Silverado- Vortec L31 5.7l v8, 460LE trans w/ shift kit- New Daily/Parts Hauler

My Cars
    94 M5T
    there was a green e34 at the pick n pull (premier, i think) in moss landing about a month ago, you may be able to get your grill trim and even be close to the right color (though i think it was an oxford 540).
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    91 E34 525i
    The three beeps is the hourly chime at every hour and 59 minutes. IT means your OBC is working properly.

To turn it off press the hr/date button until the time is shown. Then press the s/r button.
    The hourly chime signal indicator in the corner of the screen should go out.

Elaborate on some of the messages from the ccm. They should all be fixable or patchable.
    Oh wow. Thanks for that advice. Iv been tripping out thinking my car is going to blow up or something lol.

The main one thats always on is the "Door open", and i know its the driver door because when its on, and i pull and tighten the door, it goes off. I think i just need to change the rubber(?) that goes on the door. I dont remember the rest off the top of my head, but i will start jotting them down and post them up!

Quote Originally Posted by Baupfhor View Post
    Hit up the picknpull off of dolan rd in moss landing (as mentioned). Also, I live in seaside, you should come out to our meet in sand city next Saturday evening.
    Unfortunately i havent had time to go to moss landing due to work. I also want to try taking someone who knows about prices and just general rules of the junkyard so i know that i wont get ripped off, as i tend to look a lot younger than my age, 22 looking like a 17 year old doesnt help when people dont take you seriously. =\

I think it would be awesome to go to the meet, although unfortunately i have to work from 3-8pm this saturday =[ If its before 3, i could go hang out for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanNHouston View Post
    that's the spirit! nice car man, check the classifieds section and ebay, generally youll find anything youre looking for. my 525 has ex girlfriend damage dont be afraid to post the ugly pics of your car, some of us can help you with that
    Thank you! sorry to read about the ex damage. Its too bad other people dont value the effort it takes to keep your personal property well kept. Hopefully its something a little bit of elbow grease can fix.

Sometimes i feel bad because of how bad the paint cancer is getting, but when ever i turn that key and hear the roar of my engine, i stop caring because i know that this car with a shitty paint job has the heart of a lion. I loveeeee the sound of my engine, its literally like a deep purring lol.

Also!!!
    Does anyone know how to remove the plastic cover that goes on the highlights? I was thinking about removing both highlights, use one for the one headlight im missing, and instead of just having one, im going to figure something out so i can cover them until i replace them. I think it would look cool if i managed to put gold glass in the highlights.

I am also due for an oil change this month, i know this is a stupid question, but since i have no idea how to do it, would it be better if i payed for it? or if i learned how to change my own oil. (Im rather hesitant of doing it myself since iv never worked on cars, and since im a delivery driver, so i cant have a broken down car..)

And seriously, Thanks to everyone helping me out. It is VERY appreciated!
    Good day to you all.
    Regards.
    Last edited by Ley3198; 06-28-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    We meet up around 7pm at the Starbucks every other week, so not this Saturday but next Saturday. Mostly vws but a few bmws as well. www.sofakingeuro.com
    I could use another pnp run, maybe we can go one of these weekends.
    Last edited by Baupfhor; 06-28-2012 at 07:19 PM.

My Cars
    91 E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Baupfhor View Post
    We meet up around 7pm at the Starbucks every other week, so not this Saturday but next Saturday. Mostly vws but a few bmws as well. www.sofakingeuro.com
    I could use another pnp run, maybe we can go one of these weekends.
    Ill for sure try to make it. Iv seen you guys there before, but i always thought it was only VW's. I may be a bit awkward at first hahaha, the cars there seem pretty well taken care of... and well, mine isnt lol.

PnP?

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Too tired to type about door warnings now, read this:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595738

the bees knees

My Cars
    91 E34 525i
    Too tired to type about door warnings now, read this:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595738
    I gave that a read, and well, the button seems to work. I didnt try the duct tape but when i was driving, i tried pulling the door closed and the warning would go away. How would i go and fix that door latch?

Today was actually a very sad day for me. I found out that my car has an oil leak, which is the reason why i have been losing a lot of oil in my car (Jiffy lube guy said my engine was burning it all up).

I also inspected the engine more detailed and man, does it look bad. Lots of hoses that are old and cracked/cracking and need to be replaced, lots of spilled oil all over the place.... sigh.

I think i may not have the necessarily skills to fix up my car myself, i wanted to work on the body more than anything, but it seems my engine is taking precedence...
    Last edited by Ley3198; 06-30-2012 at 05:34 AM.

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    I'd be wary of Jiffy Lube advise. Old cars will leak oil, especially these ones. Keep oil in it, and schedule a wrenchfest or something. Have a bbq, invite some local board members over, and get advise on what to fix first. You learn about your car, others may/may not work on theirs. Or go to that euro meet, but that's probably not the best place to start (night, vws, more of a show than work party).
    Good luck, don't give up on the old gal yet.
    Last edited by cddallara; 06-30-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast