Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Drain issue

My Cars
    420G SPEED 6
    just wondering Wuffer how fast does this drain runn down the batteries?

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Quicker than overnight... and they are new MTP 93 batteries....
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    420G SPEED 6
    Well since i had a kind of the same issue, with my seats for some reason using power i tested for amps.
    dont know if that helps it could be 12v but .5 amps or 12v and 10 amps.
    Just tossing it out there
    With the key off ofcourse
    Last edited by smokum; 06-27-2012 at 04:45 PM.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I may have found the culprit. I just got off the phone with Wuffer and it seems to work for him too. I am waiting to see if in a real-world setting it does work properly. So far, it does. I will report back later.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    '97 540iA
    Are you keeping us in suspense?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Are you keeping us in suspense?
    No, I do not want to give false hope, nor do I want there to be problems with other cars until I determine that this course is correct.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    '97 540iA
    I understand. Very thorough! I hope it's successful for all

My Cars
    '93 850Ci,'01 X5
    Wuffer, TxGr8White, I love you guys. I've been trying to figure this out since I've owned my car.

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Will report back tomorrow. I have removed the battery tender, measured the voltage at the +/- posts under the hood at 3:30 this pm. Will check voltage in the am and again 24 hours after removing the tender. I can report that the water valve solenoids are no longer getting hot. Cautiously optimistic...

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuffer View Post
    Revtor/Steffen - here are this mornings updates based on your requests:
    Voltage at Pin 8, key off: 0v
    Voltage at Pin 8 key in Position II: 12+V
    This confirms pin 8 is connected to the ignition switch. Thus the electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM) is correct and this also proves nothing is wrong with the ignition switch.
    Key in Pos II, press Timer button: Ventilation Off
    So it appears That US spec cars of 93 have Park Ventilation Standard?
    Yes, I think it's now quite safe to assume this was a standard feature on US E31. We really should make a list of standard equipment because the build sheets are worthless in these situations...

Anyway, the problem remains: pin 7 is always hot while it shouldn't. Something is wrong with the park ventilation system.

TxGR8White and Wuffer now have a work-around. It does not fix the problem, but at least it will stop the park ventilation system from draining the batteries...

My Cars
    Probably electronic system in the module, maybe capacitors ? Park Ventilation module is somewhere behind the glove box.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    A15 Module is faulty.
    You have three options here:
    1) replace the A15 module (takes less than 5 Wuffer minutes)
    2) replace the K4 relay with a K1 relay
    3) cut off the 86b leg from the K4 relay (drastic I know, but it works).

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Or

4) Disconnect the A15 park heating/ventilation module behind the glove box (accessible by removing the lower dashboard cover).

Note that options 2, 3 and 4 make you lose park ventilation entirely, but it was already broken to begin with... The real fix is repairing or replacing the A15 park heating/ventilation module, but if you don't care about park ventilation these are quick workarounds to stop the battery drain issue.

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    After PM's and telephone calls from Revtor and TxGR8White, last nite and this morning, I replaced A15 (had 5 of these little guys on my shelf) on the offending vehicle. result - no longer have unwanted voltage at Pin 7 of K4 and neither K4 or the water valve heats up with key off any longer. I agree with Tx and Revtor that A15 is the culprit and further diagnosis of the module is required. Module disassembly revealed 2 capacitors on the board which may cause the faults experienced by myself, Tx and inDeep.
    Collaboration between the three of us resulted in determining the root cause of three similar, yet different issues. This is a true indication of how the collective knowledge of passionate E31 owners on this forum can resolve problems.
    Last edited by Wuffer; 06-28-2012 at 02:46 PM.

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    After PM's and telephone calls from Revtor and TxGR8White, last nite and this morning, I replaced A15 (had 5 of these little guys on my shelf) on the offending vehicle. result - no longer have unwanted voltage at Pin 7 of K4 and neither K4 or the water valve heats up with key off any longer. I agree with Tx and Revtor that A15 is the culprit and further diagnosis of the module is required. Module disassembly revealed 2 capacitors on the board which may cause the faults experienced by myself, Tx and inDeep.
    Collaboration between the three of us resulted in determining the root cause of three similar, yet different issues. This is a true indication of how the collective knowledge of passionate E31 owners on this forum can resolve problems.

Wuffer.....since you have 5 of these, would you sell a couple?

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Yeah - but you dont even have an 8 Faisal! 8-)

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah - but you dont even have an 8 Faisal! 8-)
    Never too late to stock up on Parts...

I am looking at a couple and negotiating the $$ with my Budget Officer (My better half). Hopefully soon. I want to have my 8 before the Yearly DC Metro E31 Fall Drive.

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Got a couple of really nice 91 low mileage Calypso Red/Black Canadian Spec cars available out here - including one with sport seats! One car has 94K kms the other (with the sport seats) 68k kms... Road trip??

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Wuffer. But you know me. I am not really a Calypso guy. I am holding out for a Silver, Blue or Diamond Black.

My Cars
    420G SPEED 6
    ACK imagine what the dealerships went thru to try to narrow down what gremlins our cars had...Then what it cost the customer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    Thanks Wuffer. But you know me. I am not really a Calypso guy. I am holding out for a Silver, Blue or Diamond Black.
    What ever happened to the aston martin thing???
    Or was that someone else?
    Last edited by smokum; 07-01-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '94 A8 4.2i, '00 CLK55
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    That is most likely GenMod failure...
    Hey Greg... Just diagnozed and found that those two green relays in trunk are hot eaven car has sat all day. So this points to GM failure? And replacing capasitors could fix this battery drain issue?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by moutine View Post
    Hey Greg... Just diagnozed and found that those two green relays in trunk are hot eaven car has sat all day. So this points to GM failure? And replacing capasitors could fix this battery drain issue?
    Not Greg...
    ..Correct - GenMod failure at the capacitors.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    '94 A8 4.2i, '00 CLK55
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Not Greg...
    ..Correct - GenMod failure at the capacitors.
    Sorry misunderstanding but thanks anyway. Just ordered set of caps and going to report next week what happened.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850I V12 5.0
    i have the same drain thing happening after three day won't start too but my lights stay on after i turn off the car, so i just took out the two 7.5 fuse 10 & 11 in the front driver side box under the hood and the light stay off after car switch off now but only one head light works now the driver side but both lights in bumper work

where is a15 and k4 i got an photo and i do see these two do any of you have an photo so i can replace these two relays thank you

ok i know where the a15 is but my car is from japan so all this won't work for me or will it
    Last edited by RAFFEAL; 07-06-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    K4 is the yellow relay in the back row far left in the front E-box. Get yourself a copy of the ETM from my site - tells you where everything is.... You J-spec car is no different than any other 90/91 E31 in this regard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast