Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabling the BMW Auto Start/Stop System

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by e39hamann View Post
    Both of my parents cars have this feature and I hate it. I'm not someone who is usually demanding about stuff but if o bought a new bmw, which may happen this summer, I wouldn't take delivery of it until this function is turned off.
    Not to worry, new models come with the ability to disable it thru i-Drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    You don't have to turn it off 4 times an hour. You turn it off once and it is off until the car is restarted. Or you can disable it if you really don't like it that much. Either way its stupid making such a big deal out of something that can be turned off or completely disabled. BMW is giving us more features and all anyone is doing is complaining about it.

Have you ever driven a car with start/stop? As soon as you let your foot off the brake the car starts up again, so that by the time you can move your foot to the accelerator pedal the engine is already started and ready to go. Its also a very strong starter motor that starts the car very quickly, no multiple crankings... you let your foot off the brake, one crank, engine is running.

Honestly to me this thread seems like a lot of people who aren't 100% sure how the feature works hypothesizing about why it wouldn't work or why they wouldn't like it. If it was unsafe, it would not be allowed to be used on public roads - they safety test all this stuff extensively including rear-end response time. Basically BMW gave you a button that gives you 1-2mpg better economy and if you didn't hear the engine start and stop you would never even know it was doing anything. They even gave you the ability to disable this, to pay an extra 2mpg just because your scared of the future...
    We autocrossers consider a coupla thousandths of a second a delay, you street guys might not get it, and ,yes, I do have to reset asc 4 times an hour, since we shut off between each run to cool off, a more logical system would leave it off until I activate it for slippery conditions, but the masses would screw up and sue somebody, so I have to deal with the lawyer'
    s nanny state thinking.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    We autocrossers consider a coupla thousandths of a second a delay
    Good thing the car wont be automatically turning off in the middle of an autocross run then, huh!?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Good thing the car wont be automatically turning off in the middle of an autocross run then, huh!?
    That wouldn't be nearly as awkward as selecting 1st gear at 50 mph, I nearly went over!(I was looking for 3rd)

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    ...and ,yes, I do have to reset asc 4 times an hour, since we shut off between each run to cool off,...
    Your first world problem is bringing a tear to my eye. So, between runs, you sit in the car, with your seat belt on, your helmet on because it'd be too much work to take any of that off, right?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Your first world problem is bringing a tear to my eye. So, between runs, you sit in the car, with your seat belt on, your helmet on because it'd be too much work to take any of that off, right?
    He has a complex servo system that automatically undresses his race attire as he exits the vehicle.

What, do you think he is some type of peasant?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Well I have forgotten my helmet maybe twice in 20 years, but the grid chief reminds me, I'll get him to mention my ASC switch,and all will be well.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Well I have forgotten my helmet maybe twice in 20 years, but the grid chief reminds me, I'll get him to mention my ASC switch,and all will be well.
    I used to put a sticky not on the cluster... that worked.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    but when I use our loaners (I work at a dealer) to drive to training in Chicago, .. to.
    Pretty sure if BMW found out they are lettin employees take loaner cars to training they can take loaner cars away from the dealership.. Careful posting info like that.. Just cause they let you use their loaner doesn't mean it's right by BMW ..
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2015 F32 420i Sport
    Not to worry, new models come with the ability to disable it thru i-Drive.
    i have a 2015 420i sport. any idea how to disable ASS through idrive...?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Your 2015 will come with the MSA logic set to "last user" mode. So if you turn it off and lock the car with the remote, the next time that same key is used to start the vehicle, MSA will be off.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 318ti M tech
    my 2014 328xi remembered if i turned it off, so no problems there
    E36 318Ti Mtech

My Cars
    2011Lotus Evora S
    My first experience with this feature was a 528i last year. __< It sucks.
    Now I have a 2015 Evoque and this system is VASTLY better than BMW's. Don't mind it much although I question its benefits. Not worried about .1mpg. May not be as powerful but it handles like its several hundred pounds lighter--btw it is. BMW's have become porkers!
    Last edited by ddsski; 04-27-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    2004 Graduate Skip Barber 3 day Race School Competition Certified
    2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red, Ivory
    2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata GTPRHT True Red
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d Vermillion Red, Cinnamon Leather, Bamboo trim, Freight train
    2011 Lotus EvoraS Persian Blue, Black Suedetex Leather
    2008 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint grey, Grey Leather

My Cars
    2014 BMW Series 1
    The trouble is not about the stop/start technology. I can understand the need to "lower CO2 emissions" because of some legislator hugged one too many trees and imposed lower CO2 limits so car makers have to put these things in. What bugs me is the "auto" feature. It's an imposition. Call me old fashioned, but: A. Something that does not remember how I set it to, and I have to reset to the way I want over and over and over again is defective. B. Making you save the environment by imposing a function that by the car makers' own admission increases wear and tear in critical, expensive to replace components is an imposition too far. Keep the start/stop, yes, but for Chris's sake let it remember how drivers want to use it, which is how it should be in the first place. Yes, I am an idiot. Yes, I am unecologist ass. Sue me, you can go and hug a tree in the Amazon and get eaten by the marabunta. I won't be shedding one tear about it.

My Cars
    z3
    It amazes me how upset people get at having to press a button to disable a feature they don't like.

Wonder how these people would have managed in days when you had to crank your own car manually to start it...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpsalvestrini View Post
    The trouble is not about the stop/start technology. I can understand the need to "lower CO2 emissions" because of some legislator hugged one too many trees and imposed lower CO2 limits so car makers have to put these things in. What bugs me is the "auto" feature. It's an imposition. Call me old fashioned, but: A. Something that does not remember how I set it to, and I have to reset to the way I want over and over and over again is defective. B. Making you save the environment by imposing a function that by the car makers' own admission increases wear and tear in critical, expensive to replace components is an imposition too far. Keep the start/stop, yes, but for Chris's sake let it remember how drivers want to use it, which is how it should be in the first place. Yes, I am an idiot. Yes, I am unecologist ass. Sue me, you can go and hug a tree in the Amazon and get eaten by the marabunta. I won't be shedding one tear about it.

Settle down Francis.

All the new vehicles (2013 & newer) come with the Auto Start/Stop set to "last user mode" which remembers whether it was set on or off, specific to the last key used, and all of the older vehicles are set to "always on at start-up", but can be programmed (one-time, free of charge) by the dealer to the "last user mode" setting.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 07-13-2015 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpsalvestrini View Post
    ...because of some legislator hugged one too many trees and imposed lower CO2 limits so car makers have to put these things in.
    If it'll make you feel better, when you get home set a 55 gallon drum of fuel on fire.

After all, why would anyone care what 1.2 billion cars generate in emissions, god will just create a new atmosphere when we've screwed this one up.

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ

All the new vehicles (2013 & newer) come with the Auto Start/Stop set to "last user mode" which remembers whether it was set on or off, specific to the last key used, and all of the older vehicles are set to "always on at start-up", but can be programmed (one-time, free of charge) by the dealer to the "last user mode" setting.
    Came here to say this.

/thread

We're done here.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter29928 View Post
    Came here to say this.
    But that means you still have to set it ONCE. The tyranny!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    But that means you still have to set it ONCE. The tyranny!

And once PER KEY at that . The HugeManatee!!!!

My Cars
    2012 BMW 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by millifoo View Post
    This is the most useful post. Thank you. Everyone has their own opinion on how a given feature should work (any feature), and arguing about who is right or wrong is futile.

My Cars
    2013 VW Jetta Hybrid
    That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks!

I know when BMW first started with this crap a few years ago, it wouldn't remember the last setting and dealers were not allowed to program it to "last user mode".

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Keep in mind that the "one time, free of charge" programming only applies to vehicles that are still within the 4/50 warranty.

My Cars
    ghjjkjklkjl
    they don't always use the starter to restart the eng. the DME knows where the pistons are. so if there is a pistons at top it will inject fuel and add spark and guess what, eng cranks.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-18-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spam deletion

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    they don't always use the starter to restart the eng. the DME knows where the pistons are. so if there is a pistons at top it will inject fuel and add spark and guess what, eng cranks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast