Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabling the BMW Auto Start/Stop System

My Cars
    E34 E38 E39 E60 E92
    So glad I don't have to deal with this nonsense in my fleet.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    If you think its a little annoying now, wait till your starter dies from overuse, and all your gas savings buys a new starter.
    Im sure BMW didnt think of that, they just said "lets use a normal starter motor instead of designing something with high torque that will be used in a system with repeated starting during a drive cycle"

They just went in their parts bin and found any old starter. That'll do

Quote Originally Posted by Gator325525 View Post
    So glad I don't have to deal with this nonsense in my fleet.
    Nonsense? The auto start/stop feature is really easy to turn off. On the F30 loaner I had it was the button under the key area. Just push it once to disable it. Voila... hardly a big deal!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    they don't always use the starter to restart the eng. the DME knows where the pistons are. so if there is a pistons at top it will inject fuel and add spark and guess what, eng cranks.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Im sure BMW didnt think of that, they just said "lets use a normal starter motor instead of designing something with high torque that will be used in a system with repeated starting during a drive cycle"

They just went in their parts bin and found any old starter. That'll do
    Bosch did a write up about how the starter had to hardened to meet the demands of the start/stop system. The unit now is capable of 10x the number of starts prior units were capable of.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post
    they don't always use the starter to restart the eng. the DME knows where the pistons are. so if there is a pistons at top it will inject fuel and add spark and guess what, eng cranks.
    Proof of this? I had heard about this technology but was not sure that BMW used it. I was pretty sure BMW retained using the starter for this function. Of course the load on the starter is also less because the engine is already warm and cylinders are probably already precharged with fuel.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Proof of this? I had heard about this technology but was not sure that BMW used it. I was pretty sure BMW retained using the starter for this function. Of course the load on the starter is also less because the engine is already warm and cylinders are probably already precharged with fuel.
    Interesting, but doubtful, if the piston isn't past TDC, the engine would spin backwards on ignition,plus, cylinders shouldn't be "precharged" as Fi is off when shut down.

My Cars
    z3
    Yeah injecting fuel into a cylinder like that could be a really bad idea...

In the F30 with stop/start I drove it definitely utilized a starter. You could tell.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2014 BMW Series 1
    Just my thoughts about Start and stop: I don't think it is a bad technology. I understand the motivations behind it and I can even agree to them in principle. What I disagree with is the fact that atart and stop is pushed down our throats as drivers and we are not given the choice to keep it disabled. Here in Europe we have to "live with it" but I hav suffered the intransigence of this system. Especially when it shuts off the engine on an incline (Not supposed to do that), lags after I have taken the foot off the brake, locks the steering wheel (this is the big GAPING safety hole that people merrily overlook) and ultimately I resent the loss of control of my car to a computer which one day may decide not to work any more. I could argue that all of this is to promote programmed obsolescence, bia increased wear of starter motor, spark plugs, battery, brakes, etc. (Because admit it how many of you have double or triple tapped the brakes to disable start and stop automatically?) And even then sometimes it shuts off the engine all the same. Call me old fashioned but I prefer a car that does not depend on a computer deciding when to start or stop the engine. I'd rather live with less HP than this. Or go hybrid. But for me as a (not-so) proud owner of a hiccupy BMW I will turn this system off every time until I find the sensors and defeat them. Or reprogram the CAS. Whichever scandalizes the econazis the most.

My Cars
    2014 BMW Series 1
    My thoughts on this: In principle agreeing that yes we should reduce idling I have to say that this technology makes me rely on a computer that decides for me when to start and stop my engine, and not me. Being old school, having been thought that a car that shuts itself off belongs in the shop and not on the road, I would like it if BMW Europe gave the same choice it gave to American BMW owners so the car "remembers" that it's the driver's choice not to use start and stop instead of imposing it every time.

My Cars
    Just my 2 cents I drove a 2014 328i as a loaner a couple of weeks ago and a 2013 last March, I found this function annoying in both cars. I noticed in the 2014 the a/c as well as the radio would shut down also if I disabled it entirely the engine would idle rough . The F30's are awesome looking cars however not a good option for me where I live and drive every day. And to be honest my old e46 drives and runs smoother and much quieter.

My Cars
    z3
    Its annoying the first maybe 50 miles you drive with it, then it becomes second nature.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    BMW
    I know this is a late response but for anyone who may come across this thread I thought I may help provide some info.

Yes there is a way to turn it off. You need NCS Expert to turn the BMW features on and off.

Check out the BMW Coding forum http :/ /www . bmwcoding.com/

or

BMW Coders http :// bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-coding-programming-29/

You will need a programming cable like this:
    http :// www . one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

This link has some helpful instructions and links to other programming hints:
    http:// www . e 9 0 p o s t.com/forums/...d.php?t=451145 (Remove the spaces from the link)

Hope that helps.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Its annoying the first maybe 50 miles you drive with it, then it becomes second nature.
    This...

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    It sounds like "turbo lag", only worse
    , which was always very annoying and any delay in acceleration is obviously a safety problem, would/will be a recall with some more incidents/or deaths, something you shouldn't have to get used to, hell, I'm annoyed when I have to remember to shut off the ASC on every AX run, like 4 times in an hour.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I use auto stop/start all the time... it is not a safety hazard. It is designed so that it does not stop the engine during certain parameters.

Making left/right hand turns is one of them... so if the steering wheel is at any sort of angle, it should not shut the engine off because it is anticipating your turn. It also disables the system if it detects frequent movement... so it won't turn off the engine if it just restarted two seconds ago, i.e. rolling to making a turn.

Normally by the time I take my foot off the brake to transition to the gas pedal, the engine has started and applying throttle starts the car moving. Unless of course you think you are going to mash the throttle and expect the car to know exactly what you are thinking without you telling it.
    I disagree.
    Having been rear ended and also nearly rear ended at stop lights I offer this argument. First, when turning left do not turn your wheels until proceeding with your turn as a rear impact can put you in the path of oncoming traffic.
    Accelerating out of harm's way is assuredly inhibited by this feature. Vigilance and throttle have saved me one very big crash, by only a fraction of a second. Had I needed to wait for some nanny feature to start my car I'd certainly have been hurt.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    It sounds like "turbo lag", only worse
    , which was always very annoying and any delay in acceleration is obviously a safety problem, would/will be a recall with some more incidents/or deaths, something you shouldn't have to get used to, hell, I'm annoyed when I have to remember to shut off the ASC on every AX run, like 4 times in an hour.
    You don't have to turn it off 4 times an hour. You turn it off once and it is off until the car is restarted. Or you can disable it if you really don't like it that much. Either way its stupid making such a big deal out of something that can be turned off or completely disabled. BMW is giving us more features and all anyone is doing is complaining about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I disagree.
    Having been rear ended and also nearly rear ended at stop lights I offer this argument. First, when turning left do not turn your wheels until proceeding with your turn as a rear impact can put you in the path of oncoming traffic.
    Accelerating out of harm's way is assuredly inhibited by this feature. Vigilance and throttle have saved me one very big crash, by only a fraction of a second. Had I needed to wait for some nanny feature to start my car I'd certainly have been hurt.
    Have you ever driven a car with start/stop? As soon as you let your foot off the brake the car starts up again, so that by the time you can move your foot to the accelerator pedal the engine is already started and ready to go. Its also a very strong starter motor that starts the car very quickly, no multiple crankings... you let your foot off the brake, one crank, engine is running.

Honestly to me this thread seems like a lot of people who aren't 100% sure how the feature works hypothesizing about why it wouldn't work or why they wouldn't like it. If it was unsafe, it would not be allowed to be used on public roads - they safety test all this stuff extensively including rear-end response time. Basically BMW gave you a button that gives you 1-2mpg better economy and if you didn't hear the engine start and stop you would never even know it was doing anything. They even gave you the ability to disable this, to pay an extra 2mpg just because your scared of the future...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    You don't have to turn it off 4 times an hour. You turn it off once and it is off until the car is restarted. Or you can disable it if you really don't like it that much. Either way its stupid making such a big deal out of something that can be turned off or completely disabled. BMW is giving us more features and all anyone is doing is complaining about it.

Have you ever driven a car with start/stop? As soon as you let your foot off the brake the car starts up again, so that by the time you can move your foot to the accelerator pedal the engine is already started and ready to go. Its also a very strong starter motor that starts the car very quickly, no multiple crankings... you let your foot off the brake, one crank, engine is running.

Honestly to me this thread seems like a lot of people who aren't 100% sure how the feature works hypothesizing about why it wouldn't work or why they wouldn't like it. If it was unsafe, it would not be allowed to be used on public roads - they safety test all this stuff extensively including rear-end response time. Basically BMW gave you a button that gives you 1-2mpg better economy and if you didn't hear the engine start and stop you would never even know it was doing anything. They even gave you the ability to disable this, to pay an extra 2mpg just because your scared of the future...
    I have not. I have been in traffic with these cars and noticed them re-starting. It takes time, period.
    " just because your(sic)scared of the future" That's a leap. I happen to disagree with the idea and feel there many better ways to obtain better economy, such as weight reduction not offset by additional features.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    As soon as you let your foot off the brake the car starts up again, so that by the time you can move your foot to the accelerator pedal the engine is already started and ready to go. Its also a very strong starter motor that starts the car very quickly, no multiple crankings... you let your foot off the brake, one crank, engine is running.
    This... I've been using it for some time now. Spirited acceleration from a stop has not been affected.

My Cars
    Montego 135i/6
    lol at the guy saying it gets in the way yet has never driven a BMW with the stop start. It's not bad at all and I am a very spirited driver.
    2009 135i/6 | Cobb Stg 2+ | VRSF Downpipes | aFe Intake | Evolution Intercooler | Evolution CP | Apex ARC8s | BMW Performance Spoiler | Carbon Fiber

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I disagree.
    Agreed, don't turn the wheels when stopped for a left turn. Getting rear-ended puts you into oncoming traffic.

That being said, my car doesn't have it, but when I use our loaners (I work at a dealer) to drive to training in Chicago, it's never presented me with the slightest bit of hesitation when taking off from a stop when the engine was off. I was unable to move my foot to the accelerator in less time that it took to start the engine. (I tried). The engine car doesn't wait until your foot is OFF the gas before restarting the engine, once it sees the pedal moving, the engine starts. Once, I was sitting at a light and the left arrow turned green (I was going straight but not looking directly at the light) and for a split second I thought it was MY light that had turned green and I started to release the brake. I stabbed the brake back down when I realized that it wasn't my light that turned green, but the engine was already running. The car hadn't even moved, that's how little I had let off the brake.

I think that folks just have to learn to trust that the engine will start when it needs to.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Agreed, don't turn the wheels when stopped for a left turn. Getting rear-ended puts you into oncoming traffic.

That being said, my car doesn't have it, but when I use our loaners (I work at a dealer) to drive to training in Chicago, it's never presented me with the slightest bit of hesitation when taking off from a stop when the engine was off. I was unable to move my foot to the accelerator in less time that it took to start the engine. (I tried). The engine car doesn't wait until your foot is OFF the gas before restarting the engine, once it sees the pedal moving, the engine starts. Once, I was sitting at a light and the left arrow turned green (I was going straight but not looking directly at the light) and for a split second I thought it was MY light that had turned green and I started to release the brake. I stabbed the brake back down when I realized that it wasn't my light that turned green, but the engine was already running. The car hadn't even moved, that's how little I had let off the brake.

I think that folks just have to learn to trust that the engine will start when it needs to.
    Next time at the dealer I'll get a test ride in one. Meanwhile, I'm not convinced. Afraid of the future, or so I'm told.

What happens with these cars if throttle and brake are applied?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The same thing you would expect... Engine starts and then the back tires spin.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    2015 X1 & 2000 M5
    Both of my parents cars have this feature and I hate it. I'm not someone who is usually demanding about stuff but if o bought a new bmw, which may happen this summer, I wouldn't take delivery of it until this function is turned off.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by e39hamann View Post
    Both of my parents cars have this feature and I hate it. I'm not someone who is usually demanding about stuff but if o bought a new bmw, which may happen this summer, I wouldn't take delivery of it until this function is turned off.
    LOL ... push button, it turns off. Pretty simple.

My Cars
    z3
    This thread...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast