Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabling the BMW Auto Start/Stop System

My Cars
    2012 535i

Disabling the BMW Auto Start/Stop System

Why doesn't BMW want the Auto Start Stop System to be permanently disabled? I have to press the disable button every time I get in my car. Also, restarts are sluggish when the system is on. Does anyone know a work around to permanently disable the feature?

I got so pissed at this system I made a website.

http://www.bmwautostop.com

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    lmao
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    '95 318iS
    Imo yes it does sound very dangerous if it stops you on right hand turns but.. Just remember to push it. How hard is it to remember to press one little button before you start moving the car?

No offence, but i see your point on how this can be a safety problem as well.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Sorry, how is this a safety problem?
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan
    From what I've read in several BMW mags, the "Auto Start/Stop" takes more than a second before the engine restarts. That's a safety problem in my opinion.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini

From what I've read in several BMW mags, the "Auto Start/Stop" takes more than a second before the engine restarts. That's a safety problem in my opinion.
    At a stop light? Please explain. Most people I am behind take several seconds before they move after green!!!
    Also this system has been used in Europe for several years and I have not heard of any safety related incident yet.
    If you want to be Schumacher off the line, it is a single button Rees to turn it off, or being in sport mode. This is what makes this whole thing laughable, a button press is now an issue for some people.
    Last edited by mryakan; 06-20-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    2011 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWAutoStopCom View Post
    Why doesn't BMW want the Auto Start Stop System to be permanently disabled? I have to press the disable button every time I get in my car. Also, restarts are sluggish when the system is on. Does anyone know a work around to permanently disable the feature?

I got so pissed at this system I made a website.

http://www.bmwautostop.com
    You can code the CAS Module as follows:

1) Set Auto Start/Stop function to start in the last used setting (e.g. Off) when the engine is started.

2) Turn Auto Start/Stop OFF by default.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
    2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I use auto stop/start all the time... it is not a safety hazard. It is designed so that it does not stop the engine during certain parameters.

Making left/right hand turns is one of them... so if the steering wheel is at any sort of angle, it should not shut the engine off because it is anticipating your turn. It also disables the system if it detects frequent movement... so it won't turn off the engine if it just restarted two seconds ago, i.e. rolling to making a turn.

Normally by the time I take my foot off the brake to transition to the gas pedal, the engine has started and applying throttle starts the car moving. Unless of course you think you are going to mash the throttle and expect the car to know exactly what you are thinking without you telling it.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe, '84 H/O

New BMW Auto Stop/Start Function Sucks

Has anyone driven a new BMW with auto stop/start? I drove a new 528i the other day and it annoyed the shit out of me. Every time I brought the car to a full stop, it shut the motor off. Then after I hit the throttle, there was a slight delay that made the car feel like it was hesitating and I overcompensated by flooring the accelerator. This kinda cancelled out the whole concept of saving fuel after the motor being shut down. IMO, It makes for a very unBMW like driving experience.
    '02 ///MCoupe Alpine White, Dark Beige Oregon. 1 of 2

My Cars
    Assorted
    On topic threads make for a very unOT like posting experience.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by pup View Post
    It is what you make it.

My Cars
    e82
    Own an X3 that has auto start/stop as well as auto hold for the brakes so when you come to a complete stop you let off as the parking brake takes over. Not a big fan of either so I just disable them.

My Cars
    N/A
    I've heard you just have to get used to it. Sounds annoying to me.

My Cars
    Cayenne S, Triumph 1050
    gen mods, I moved this from OT. I think it's fine, but any member who posted anything, um, untoward, it's on me and not them.

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe, '84 H/O
    Quote Originally Posted by pup View Post
    Oh OK. I didn't realize that there was a dedicated 'BMW stop start technology' forum already created on BFC. I'll immediately go ahead and repost there.Thanks!
    '02 ///MCoupe Alpine White, Dark Beige Oregon. 1 of 2

My Cars
    Accordian 6-6
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCoupe View Post
    Oh OK. I didn't realize that there was a dedicated 'BMW stop start technology' forum already created on BFC. I'll immediately go ahead and repost there.Thanks!
    Typical northern NJ sarcastic response. I'm not surprised

And yes. It's not just BMW's, but everyone else who has it. Stop Start only works with Hybrids right now. It could get better. But right now, it sucks. Every new BMW that the site I write for receives, that gets it, I just turn it off, which isn't the end of the world. But it resets when you turn the car off to default on.
    Last edited by Chinny4290; 06-23-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Editor-In-Chief: www.egmcartech.com
    RIP W124

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    Mercedes launched this feature on all their AMG cars I think last year. IMO, its not too bad. I have driven a few and to me its ok. it is kinda of annoing, but you will have to get used to it. This is a thing of the future, so just get used to it.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    E36 M3
    lol at people that think it's "unsafe." Don't knock it until you try it and fully understand the system.

The car only shuts off if:
    it can maintain the interior climate temp
    the battery is fully charged
    the outside temp is in a certain range

The engine will immediately fire up if:
    you take your foot off the brake (the time between taking your foot off the brake and moving it to the gas is plenty of time for the engine to fire up.)
    you push the clutch
    you move the steering wheel
    the interior temp gets too hot or cold
    the charging system gets low

After you drive the car a few times with the system, you forget all about it. BMW has to implement the system to meet CAFE standards. It's either the little Auto Start/Stop button, or less horsepower. I choose the little button.

All you have to do is when you start the car, move your finger down about 5mm and press the Start/Stop button as well to disable the system. Geeez, that sounds like a lot of extra work.
    Last edited by timsev; 06-23-2012 at 10:26 AM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    My system is actually disabled by default... but I happily move my entire hand and arm down to engage the system because my little button is located in the center stack just ahead of the shifter.

The start/stop system has saved me 10 minutes of idle time on my drive to work (when I actually took the time to watch the off time).
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    My system is actually disabled by default... but I happily move my entire hand and arm down to engage the system because my little button is located in the center stack just ahead of the shifter.

The start/stop system has saved me 10 minutes of idle time on my drive to work (when I actually took the time to watch the off time).
    Yeah, the e9x M3's and I believe the Z4's have the button on the center console and are off by default. Any car with EcoPro mode (3,5,6,7) have the button under the Start/Stop button and are "On" by default. I think that it has to be "on" by default to qualify for the CAFE standards.

My Cars
    2004 M3

My Cars
    2011 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by millifoo View Post
    The Dealer can now do what I wrote in Post #7.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
    2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

My Cars
    E39, F31, 911
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    It's a safety problem in most countries aside from the USA/Canada. You just don't have much driving experience in rigorous environments. Here, people pay no attention to lights, daydream, have tons of space with the concept of leaving a light quickly and keeping "close" to the car in front of you means about 10 seconds and 10 car lengths. From what I see here in Florida, Canadians are the slowest drivers in the world. For them/you its not a safety issue.

As an example, approach a jammed round-about, stop, engine shuts down, start, BMW engine stumbles, lift clutch quickly as there's a very short window of opportunity, engine is still bumping around, car stalls, missed chance, horns behind you and you're half way into the roundabout. I saw a VW back ended last year due to these dumb systems.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 520d
    Thanks to the contributors to this forum for I am now reassured that I can have the auto start stop on my new Beamer reprogrammed to start in last setting by default. It must have been a compliance or political correctness issue that caused BMW to make auto engine off by default, thus satisfying the greens but driving any vehicle owner with the system crazy. Anyway, I was amazed by the number of contributors who's road and traffic conditions must be so laid back and forgiving that a few seconds of a dead or spluttering engine (and not thinking damn, forgot to press the button...will it start?) has never given them a scare. Try it in London and be prepared for road rage at best and a crash at worst at right turns (i.e. left turns in Europe and US). Besides, a Beamer is for those who enjoy exercising sharp reactions and who don't want to waste time getting there.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    If you think its a little annoying now, wait till your starter dies from overuse, and all your gas savings buys a new starter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast