Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coding a new (used) DME to an E46

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30

Coding a new (used) DME to an E46

Hi there, I have a question, what do I need to code when I replace the DME from a e46 for another used one from another e46, both are the same year and the same motor...
    Can I just only need to align the EWS with the new (used) DME?

thanks,

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39 523iA Touri
    No it is not feasible with the e46 BMW coding tools.
    The EWS 3.3 in E46 can only connect one time to a DME.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde1234 View Post
    No it is not feasible with the e46 BMW coding tools.
    The EWS 3.3 in E46 can only connect one time to a DME.
    so if I change my DME I need to purchase a new EWS also?
    this not make sense to me

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    You can replace just the DME but you will need an Autologic or GT1 to align the EWS with the new DME.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by RafaelB View Post
    You can replace just the DME but you will need an Autologic or GT1 to align the EWS with the new DME.
    GT1 will not do any DME-EWS sync on a used E46 DME.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    do I need to recode my DME using the WinKFP and put there the VIN of the car?

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    you yourself cannot install a used DME into another car. you will have to send the used dme to a shop that refurbishes them...even if its good, it needs to be wiped out to a virgin state. That requries special software and hardware thats just not downloaded for free like what you might have. only way you could put a used dme in your car is if you have the matching EWS and KEYS for the other donor car.
    clint

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39 523iA Touri
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    you yourself cannot install a used DME into another car. you will have to send the used dme to a shop that refurbishes them...even if its good, it needs to be wiped out to a virgin state. That requries special software and hardware thats just not downloaded for free like what you might have. only way you could put a used dme in your car is if you have the matching EWS and KEYS for the other donor car.
    clint

Thats 100% right.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    thanks, and you guys are right!!!!! thank you very very very much!!!

Next step, I will put now the EWS (the same of the DMW I want to recode)...

cheers

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    BMW
    This a big problem for independent mechanics and BMW owners.

BMW DMEs used to be non-interchangeable to other cars because BMW cars have a rolling code, and VIN # verification on their modules. A lot of indy mechanics ended up giving up the job to the dealer.

I understand how complicated BMW made these ECUs since I rebuild them.

The only other option people have is to get a matching set (Key, EWS, DME) from a junked car, because the matching set will have the same VIN and EWS Rolling Code.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by S ECU Repair

BMW DMEs used to be non-interchangeable to other cars because BMW cars have a rolling code, and VIN # verification on their modules. A lot of indy mechanics ended up giving up the job to the dealer.

The only other option people have is to get a matching set (Key, EWS, DME) from a junked car, because the matching set will have the same VIN and EWS Rolling Code.
    Yea, that was finally I do, put the ews and the key of the donor car, know the car start perfectly ....

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2006 E61 530D
    i just soldered the eprom from the dead DME to new same bosch number DME and car runs fine... Shouldnt the DME need to be coded for my cars VIN? How to do it???

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    I guess when you swapped the EPROM AM49fF00, all the data is in the new DME. No need to do any work.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    The chassis number and ISN are in the flash chip (although the VIN is encrypted)
    1)Swapping the flash chip between them,
    2)swapping the DME, EWS and keychips will work, or the final option is
    3) a used DME, the flash has then to be read fully (I think it has to be unsoldered, because I can't think of anything that reads the complete memory) and it can be programmed with the matching VIN and a clear ID which is essentially what you'd get if you ordered a new DME from BMW.

On the third option, you'd then need to sync your existing EWS to the (what appears brand new..) DME.

So the easiest is the chip swap, next up is swapping DME/EWS but you wouldn't be able to order any replacement keys, as they would be set up for the EWS you've binned earlier) and the last option is there for those times when you take out the DME and somehow destroy it.

MS41 is E36 328's, that can be synced to EWS as often as you like; MS42 (E46 and the twin vanos M52TU's) and MS43 (M54 engines) can't be resynced, so chip swaps or professional help.

In the event you've done one of the above, and it still isn't working, or you haven't touched anything, but after a low battery you are getting DME/EWS sync errors, then try the "start value synchronisation" in INPA.
    This doesn't "marry" the ECU->EWS like you could in E36s, but it resets the rolling code tables as occasionally the DME or EWS can glitch and jump up a code by itself.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    1997 e39 528i
    S ecu repair.... Can't pm you so when you have enough posts pm me.

My Cars
    BMW 03 330i
    Hey I know This is old but anyone still watching? I'm trying to do the chip swap for a 00 323 e46 dme and I'm trying to find some kind of guide
    thanks

My Cars
    E36 M43
    E46 with ecu Bosch M43 and Siemens MS42, MS43 just swap the flashrom.

My Cars
    BMW 03 330i
    Which chip?

My Cars
    E36 M43
    Quote Originally Posted by Unvme336 View Post
    Which chip?
    Bosch M43 chip 29f200
    MS42, MS43 chip 29f400

My Cars
    2000 323i

Please clarify the flash chip involved in immobilizer system (EWS)

Quote Originally Posted by bram2011 View Post
    Bosch M43 chip 29f200
    MS42, MS43 chip 29f400
    On another foum somebody said that the flash chip with the immobilizer codes on a MS42 is a TY93C65D, not an AM29F400BB. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any associated information would be helpful. Thanks.

Quadrant5

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    It's the 29F400, the other one would be known as the eeprom and that's where stuff like adaptation and fault codes are stored.
    Just swapping the 29f is enough to reuse a different ECU with the same part number.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by enda320 View Post
    It's the 29F400, the other one would be known as the eeprom and that's where stuff like adaptation and fault codes are stored.
    Just swapping the 29f is enough to reuse a different ECU with the same part number.
    Thank you enda320. You have been a wealth of information during this project. Thanks for sharing your information.

Quadrant5

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by S ECU Repair View Post

Hello S ECU Repair. do you still rebuild the DME?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by enda320 View Post
    The chassis number and ISN are in the flash chip (although the VIN is encrypted)
    1)Swapping the flash chip between them,
    2)swapping the DME, EWS and keychips will work, or the final option is
    3) a used DME, the flash has then to be read fully (I think it has to be unsoldered, because I can't think of anything that reads the complete memory) and it can be programmed with the matching VIN and a clear ID which is essentially what you'd get if you ordered a new DME from BMW.

On the third option, you'd then need to sync your existing EWS to the (what appears brand new..) DME.

So the easiest is the chip swap, next up is swapping DME/EWS but you wouldn't be able to order any replacement keys, as they would be set up for the EWS you've binned earlier) and the last option is there for those times when you take out the DME and somehow destroy it.

MS41 is E36 328's, that can be synced to EWS as often as you like; MS42 (E46 and the twin vanos M52TU's) and MS43 (M54 engines) can't be resynced, so chip swaps or professional help.

In the event you've done one of the above, and it still isn't working, or you haven't touched anything, but after a low battery you are getting DME/EWS sync errors, then try the "start value synchronisation" in INPA.
    This doesn't "marry" the ECU->EWS like you could in E36s, but it resets the rolling code tables as occasionally the DME or EWS can glitch and jump up a code by itself.
    Would you happen to know how to identify the ISN (table?) in a full dump? I know generally which sector it sits in on the MSS54/HP (so I can virginize the DME pretty easily), but I've yet to figure out the exact location.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-19-2013 at 03:58 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Yea, I think so, but it might take a bit more work.

Giftschrank Projekt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast