RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT!!! The car turns off !!!URGENT

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan

Exclamation URGENT!!! The car turns off !!!URGENT

Hi. I'm in need of help here.
    I drive a BMW 535d (2007) and i have ignition problem.
    Few seconds after I start-up the car, it turns off.I start it up again, few seconds later it does the same.Start it up, it turns off.After repeating this around 20 times i was able to drive my car.But, i can drive it only with speed of 30-40 km/h. Also when it turns off, a message appears on the screen that says ' Active Steering Inactive '.
    One day later, it did the same thing again- It turned off few seconds after i started the car up.
    Some people told me that the problem is in the fuel filter or bad oil possibly.

Any ideas ? Please help, I'm on an island right now, 700km from home and there's no BMW Service here !!NEED HELP FAST. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bmw535d2007; 06-19-2012 at 07:58 AM.

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    I would start with the fuel filter then fuel pump. The warning message is more due to the quick on-off-on-off voltage of the system as you attempt to start.
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

My Cars
    95 325Is, 85 325E
    its not bad oil. Mabe in an HEUI system, but i doubt BMW uses that. I would bet its the filter. If it was the injection pump, it probably wouldnt be building enough pressure to start in the first place

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan
    Breaking News ! Now I'm not able to drive the car. I start it up and after second or two it turns off.And again and again and agan.So i decided to leave it that way so the engine would cool down.3 hours later i started the car up drove around 600-700 metres and it did the same thing-it turned off in the middle of road.And a new message appeared on the screen which says :
    ' Active steering (it has a yellow ' ! ' next to it).I leaved the car beside the road.
    Still thinking the same ? Any new ideas ?

My Cars
    95 325Is, 85 325E
    fuel filter..i dont think this "active steering" thing has anything to do with it

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan
    Well, thank you very much for your concern. I'll replace the fuel filter and I'll let you know what will happen. Thanks again.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    I would recommend checking things before you start throwing parts at it. Check for DME codes, check your fuel pressure, I would check the fuel pick up pump with an oscilloscope, fuel filter may be your only problem but there is a lot of things that can cause these symptoms.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan
    what are DME codes ?

My Cars
    1998 M3 sedan
    Fuel filter would be a good place to start on a diesel. Especially if it hasn't been replaced in a long time. After that checking fuel pressure.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan
    Thank you Crescent and Jayrbm32. I'll replace the fuel filter tomorrow.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    You connect a computer to your car and check for fault codes that will give you a clue as to what may be going on. You may have low fuel pressure codes and the like, or it may be something else entirely. I really wouldn't go about this just changing parts if I were you. You have low pressure side, high pressure side, turbo involved and if you are not lucky you will be in thousands of dollars in parts by the time you get to the problem. You need someone with a GT1 or an ISID ICOM just to get a starting point.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan
    Thank you all of you. Crescent, I will plug the computer and check the car.I'll see what I would do, the checking, or the fuel filter replacement or whatever it would be and I'll update. Thanks again.
    Last edited by bmw535d2007; 06-19-2012 at 05:35 PM.

My Cars
    2002 Ford Mustang
    good luck man! Sorry to hear about it
    Drives Mustang, Isn't a Guido.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan
    thanks man

News folks ! The mechanic removed the fuel filter. 'BMW Mahle Fuel Filter' is written on it with BMW logo sign. Does that mean that the fuel filter hasn't been changed since the car was produced? The mileage is 150 000 kilometres. I've ordered a new fuel filter which I'll receive for about two hours. I'll let you guys know what'll happen.

fuel filter changed and nothing, still does the same - it turns off..
    Last edited by bmw535d2007; 06-20-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 M3 sedan
    If that's the original fuel filter its long overdue for service. As other recommend check for codes. Also check if the in tank pump is running . I would think key on and a whirring noise should be heard from underneath the rear seat. Also another issue on common rail diesels is injectors only what I've read. If the return line is removed from the injector and only key on. No fuel should pour out. As I've read these injectors are designed to hold fuel pressure with key on. Again key on engine off. If one of injectors is bad you could have a no start. Im not saying this your problem, but it seems like a simple test to check injectors for leak down. Again codes should be checked and fuel pressures. Im more familiar with vw, mercedes diesels.

My Cars
    95 325Is, 85 325E
    A maf issue could cause an excessive lean situation, resulting in a start, no run situation? Diesels already operate lean, if the maf was fouled or damaged, and the computer injected fuel simply for starting, then looked to the maf for reference and there wasnt any, would it cut the fuel, or resort to a default fuel map?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The car needs to get to a really good BMW pro. Do not let your local mechanic mess with it, any more.

This car needs to have it's computers asked, for codes relating to the failure. Active steering is one of these computers. There will be multiple codes set, in multiple computers, more than likely.

ANY other "first step" in correcting this issue will be the WRONG step, in my opinion. I'm the first to say I'm unfamiliar with diesels in general, and BMW diesels in particular.

But with any BMW built in the last generation or two, the first thing I want to do is ask the computers what's wrong. You got sixty six megillion bytes of gizmos keeping an eye on things: why not ask them what they know?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    95 325Is, 85 325E
    +1

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan
    Is it possible that all of the 6 injectors are bad ? They told me that the repairing will cost around 5000 euros .. Too much ..
    Last edited by bmw535d2007; 06-21-2012 at 08:16 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3 sedan
    You should look into how much it would cost to get your car back to the mainland. And bring it to either a bmw dealer or independent that is familiar with bmw diesels. Id be very skeptical if all the injectors were bad. Especially at a cost of 5000 euros.
    Last edited by Jayrbm32; 06-21-2012 at 12:50 PM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan
    I'll see what I'll do. Anyway, the car is let's say new for me. I have it for 6 months and i have passed around 5000 km. I'm the second boss of the car. And now my question is the following .. Is it possible that the first boss could have known that the injectors are bad ?.. That the injectors will become faul ? or anything like it .. What i mean is, are the injectors predictable thing ?

My Cars
    1998 M3 sedan
    When I'm near a computer and not on my phone. I'll post you link to a uk forum that had some good information on bmw diesels. It was in bmwland.co.uk/forums. Yes diesel injectors should be considered wear items. And they can be tested. Whether or not first owner knew about it, maybe, maybe not. It sounds like he didn't do regular maintenance as your fuel filter looks to be original. I also read somewhere they can be rebuilt, in the same forum. If it is true that you do need all the injectors. I would think rebuilt injectors would save you some money.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 535d Sedan
    Thank you very much.I'll check the forum that you'll send me.I'll keep you updated.

My Cars
    1998 M3 sedan
    http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...dcb4a942f6149c

In this thread they discuss common issues with the bmw diesels, and there might be some useful information for you. Bmw diesel's are relatively new to the states. I hope this might be helpful to you.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Exactly WHO told you that all six injectors are bad? That just smells really damned fishy to me.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast