My Cars
    1997 Dakar Yellow M3
    Awesome. Simply awesome.

My Cars
    1992 bmw 525i
    Nice ahaha

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    This is such a great story. Especially as no BMWs were harmed in the making.

My Cars
    328ic, CLK55 AMG, Disco
    Before the security cameras, motion sensing lights, and proximity alarms on our cars, someone broke into the cars on average of once a month. The thefts were never serious, just things like CDs and change out of the ashtrays. But after my tool box (all 200 pounds of it) and 4 beat up alloy wheels were stolen in broad daylight, I went all out.

The lights, and cameras sense motion and when they do, the cameras start recording. A few weeks ago, the house lit up at about 3:30 am, and the alarm on my car gave a few warning chirps. I hit the button on the fob to shut it off, and it unlocked the doors. Barefoot and in boxer shorts I went out the front door, and stepped around behind my car. The kid trying to get in my car was obviously drunk, and a minor.

However, I don't care how drunk or stoned you are, when an angry 6'4" 250 pound dude, with tattoos and piercings is standing there pointing a Colt Delta Elite 10mm at your brain case, you sober up pretty quick.

I respect the OPs restraint, because I was just 1/2 an ounce of finger pressure from splattering this idiot all over the inside of my car. The only thing that stopped me, was the thought of cleaning it up. We waited until the LEOs showed up, but it was a very tense 45 minutes.

It's funny, but I haven't had another problem since. Again, kudos to the OP, good catch.
    2001 CLK55 AMG - 223K Miles : 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II - 259K miles - 4th engine : 1996 328i Convertible 89K Miles (The wife's) : 2005 Outback Wagon 203K Miles (also The wife's)

My Cars
    '94 330is, '13 335xi
    /BMW powertrip circlejerk

All this Dirty Harry bullsh!t in here... because your $5000 piece of metal is worth more than a human life? I would be pissed, too, but if you even scratch him you lose. Assault > Burglary.
    M50 3.0L stroker project: https://imgur.com/a/l8owP?nc=1

Confucius say: Buy the best, cry only once.

My Cars
    e84, e36, e21
    /gofuckyourselfinternetcoolguy.

In case you didn't read the whole thread, he left in better shape than he came in.

He entered my property with an upset stomach and nowhere to spend the night.

He left with an empty stomach and a stop in a comfy jail cell.

No Bimmers or tweakers were harmed in the filming of this episode.
    Last edited by joey79; 06-22-2012 at 01:24 AM.

My Cars
    '94 330is, '13 335xi
    Yeah, sure did him a favor. That's some twisted logic, son.

In case you didn't read my post, I'm talking about a situation where someone actually hurts the guy, for what... vomiting on their car? I'm not excusing the behavior, but it's like none of you were stupid kids before.

And did you go edit your title? Just for me? I'm honored
    Last edited by carwiz008; 06-22-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMoose View Post
    I respect the OPs restraint, because I was just 1/2 an ounce of finger pressure from splattering this idiot all over the inside of my car. The only thing that stopped me, was the thought of cleaning it up.
    You shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. In fact, you probably shouldn't be allowed to own a car or leave the funny house.

My Cars
    2000 E36/8, 2007 E90

My Cars
    99 e36 M3,98 540i6
    so does all the e36s have double lock future? and if yes how does it work ? just click the lock button twice? thank you awesome story
    MAGNET

My Cars
    03 540i
    I don't see why people are freaking out about someone wanting to shoot the person breaking into their car. If that mfer runs hes getting a bullet.

Maybe some of you were dumb enough to steal a car but thats what natural selection is for the smart people protecting their shit from stupid kids.
    Maybe if all the stupid people weren't popping out kids left and right for welfare or unemployment the smart and taxpaying people wouldn't feel so strongly about shooting people...

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i sedan

My Cars
    06 Cayenne
    yeah, how do we turn on double lock??

My Cars
    '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by keeslinger31 View Post
    I don't see why people are freaking out about someone wanting to shoot the person breaking into their car. If that mfer runs hes getting a bullet.

Maybe some of you were dumb enough to steal a car but thats what natural selection is for the smart people protecting their shit from stupid kids.
    Maybe if all the stupid people weren't popping out kids left and right for welfare or unemployment the smart and taxpaying people wouldn't feel so strongly about shooting people...
    $4k vehicle = man's life?

If you want the 21st century living standard, you better get on with 21st century ethics and morals. Shooting someone for theft will mess up your life possibly worse than his, and rightly so, because your sense of right and wrong is several degrees more messed up than his. Natural selection would rule you out because you and the thief's family would have all but killed each other off centuries ago.

Natural selection is pretty much entirely disabled by civilization, and there's a clear and proven inverse correlation between intelligence and violence. So you choose your camp on this one.

Shit you'll find on the internet, damn.

My Cars
    1989 E30 325i
    i need a beer
    duh

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMoose
    Before the security cameras, motion sensing lights, and proximity alarms on our cars, someone broke into the cars on average of once a month. The thefts were never serious, just things like CDs and change out of the ashtrays. But after my tool box (all 200 pounds of it) and 4 beat up alloy wheels were stolen in broad daylight, I went all out.

The lights, and cameras sense motion and when they do, the cameras start recording. A few weeks ago, the house lit up at about 3:30 am, and the alarm on my car gave a few warning chirps. I hit the button on the fob to shut it off, and it unlocked the doors. Barefoot and in boxer shorts I went out the front door, and stepped around behind my car. The kid trying to get in my car was obviously drunk, and a minor.

However, I don't care how drunk or stoned you are, when an angry 6'4" 250 pound dude, with tattoos and piercings is standing there pointing a Colt Delta Elite 10mm at your brain case, you sober up pretty quick.

I respect the OPs restraint, because I was just 1/2 an ounce of finger pressure from splattering this idiot all over the inside of my car. The only thing that stopped me, was the thought of cleaning it up. We waited until the LEOs showed up, but it was a very tense 45 minutes.

It's funny, but I haven't had another problem since. Again, kudos to the OP, good catch.
    OPs story is bursting with win. However...are you serious, man? What a loser. A drunk minor attempts to break into your car and you have no problem blowing his dome apart, effectively ending his life...over petty theft. I think those are the keyboard muscles my friend. If not, you are the poster child for people who should not own guns. People on suicide watch sound like they would be better suited to wield a handgun. At least they would only better hurting themselves. Must have been a very tense 45min with a kid as 250 man.

It would be a little amusing if you drew your gun over something like this, non life threatening and utterly backwoods stupid...and you turned it into a life threatening situation because the kid had a gun and wasn't even going to take it out until you did yours...and couldn't give two damns about your life as he was high ...when you could have just yelled and he would have taken off.

If someone is trying to break into my car, I'd just yell at them. They're not going to hang around for the pigs nor do they have any money to fix any damage done to my car. You don't confront thieves like that. If it was a drug addicted, thirty year old male...now he knows where you live and you just made his life flash before his eyes. I definitely do not want some drug addict/criminal knowing where I live after showing him that I can dangle his life by a string. If he comes back after pointing a gun at him, he's very dumb and going to be very angry.

I hope you have a little more respect for human life than that, man. I don't care if he was trying to break into your car, he was just a kid.

My Cars
    1989 E30 325i
    need another beer
    duh

My Cars
    hoveround
    OP story = Win. Nice work. Nothing wrong with what you did there.

Internet tough guys = Loss. Sounds like it's time for phsychiatric evaluations to accompany the waiting period for firearm purchases.

My Cars
    97 328i
    I definitely don't think he was just looking for a place to sleep as someone mentioned, being that he was in the drivers seat lol.

The gun matter is subjective. its hard to decide what to do in a situation like that off the top of your head when you have only a few seconds to think.

Better to be prepared but drawing on someone after knowing they have nothing on them is stupid and an accident waiting to happen.
    I would bring a gun with me just in case because there is that slim chance you walk out yelling at the wrong person who has no problem ending your life over something petty. I would not draw it unless necessary in protection my own life.

To OP: You handled the situation perfectly and I'm glad to see no one was harmed. Good job.

Oh and double locks totally suck when you lock your keys in your car haha

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Guns are for protection of life and property. Someone enters your property with ill intent is a completely legitimate use of a gun.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    '94 330is, '13 335xi
    Ok, everyone stop posting unless you have actually read the gun laws for your state. A lot of cases require the other person to be confronting you with a weapon, as well. You can't just draw your weapon on your property or you can still face assault charges.

ORS 166.190 (Oregon)
    Any person over the age of 12 years who, with or without malice, purposely points or aims any loaded or empty pistol, gun, revolver or other firearm, at or toward any other person within range of the firearm, except in self-defense, shall be fined upon conviction in any sum not less than $10 nor more than $500, or be imprisoned in the county jail not less than 10 days nor more than six months, or both

ORS 166.220
    Unlawful use of a weapon is a Class C felony.

Again: Assault with Deadly Weapon > Burglary

Quote Originally Posted by sjpgoalie
    If someone is trying to break into my car, I'd just yell at them. They're not going to hang around for the pigs nor do they have any money to fix any damage done to my car. You don't confront thieves like that... [It could have been] a drug addicted, thirty year old male.
    +1

Figure out what's going on before you react.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    I think the correct course of action if you were to involve firearms (rural area where it would take too long for police to get there) would be having whatever firearm either holstered with your hand ready, or pointed at the ground in a non-threatening way. Command the person to stop, and identify yourself as the owner of the property. You want the situation to be defused in a non-violent way, but you want some form of protection if the robber is armed.

If you feel the need of a firearm for self defense, don't escalate the situation by pointing it around and acting like John Wayne... keep it out of sight because its a "just in case" plan, not an "I am Judge Dread" plan

That being said, if I am investigating strange noises in the garage you can bet a firearm would be at my side.. but it would not be visible or in play unless the person became violent and I feared for my life.

The safest/smartest bet would be to call the police and have them deal with it while you wait it out. An E36 can be replaced, your left testicle that got blown off in a gunfight can NOT (unless you want a marble implanted for even weight distribution)
    Last edited by DJCarbine; 06-23-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    1996 328is Sport package
    S52 cams/M50 manifold
    Conforti CF Intake
    Conforti Tune
    3.91 LSD

My Cars
    325i
    Since he was throwing up probably not that much of a threat at the time. Looks like he takes care of his bod though loll.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Guns are for protection of life and property. Someone enters your property with ill intent is a completely legitimate use of a gun.
    This. I am a firearm owner, and would not hesitate to draw my pistol. Would I fire it at someone in my car? Not unless they pulled one out. But just by drawing the firearm you take control of the situation, and can command the person to lay on the ground until police arrive. I find nothing wrong with that. Now if I come across someone in my house who shouldn't be, I'm sorry but that's asking for death.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast