Thread: E36 OBC failure reset

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is

E36 OBC failure reset

Hi guys, new here to bimmerforums!

I have a "tail light failure" code on my OBC (98 328is) I heard that it's caused sometimes by aftermarket euro tail lights? If so, any idea on how to erase the code? Gets annoying every time it pops up when I start my car... Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    The very first thing to confirm is that the tail lights support check control. From a global perspective, most don't.
    Last edited by johnf; 02-14-2014 at 09:13 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    The very first thing to confirm is that the tail lights support check control. From a global perspective, most don't.
    And if it doesn't, is there a way to erase the code permanently from the OBC or overwrite it so it doesn't show up again??

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    The only way to permanently remove it is to disable the system. I did it on my car to stop the low beam failure and license plate light failure code. The bad thing is it disables all faults so a low coolant fault wouldn't show up either. I have the procedure someplace, just not on this computer.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    The only way to permanently remove it is to disable the system. I did it on my car to stop the low beam failure and license plate light failure code. The bad thing is it disables all faults so a low coolant fault wouldn't show up either. I have the procedure someplace, just not on this computer.
    Ohh I see. I think I''ll live with the code in that case, cuz i would wanna know if there is anything else that needs to be checked. I also had a licence plate light failure but I replaced those so Im down to one code only. Thanks again, I can now sleep at peace lol