Thread: 1999 Z3 auxilliary fan fuse location

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3

Cool 1999 Z3 auxilliary fan fuse location

I'm going nuts trying to find the fuse for the auxilliary fan. The diagram in the lid of the fuse box has a note that #48 40 amp fuse is located below the steering wheel ???
    I have removed the bottom half of the steering collumn shroud, but cannot see any fuse. Also unable to see anything down around the pedals.
    My aux. fan at the front of the radiator does not seem to run and as it is getting hot here, I don't want to cook the engine, I just found out that the temp. gauge does not really read the temp. (who thought that up?)

We just bought the car and really enjoy it, even if it is several years old, what the heck, so am I.

I've been following the posts, but could use some help.
    Thanks
    bluspit

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    On my car, which is a Right Hand Drive, it's under the glove box, rather than the steering wheel, despite the ETM and a note in the main fuse box saying it's next to the steering column.

Which side it's on in a LHD car, I couldn't say, but whichever side it is requires you to remove the under-dash trim.

However, before you go doing that, read this:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1845266

and this:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1839083

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    On a 99 ///M, they are under the dash on the LH side; above the steering column, but attached to the "outside wall" (LH toe-kick panel area).

The fuses are similar in appearance to the fuses under the hood, but closer in sise to a book of matches__seems like most of them are red...

To date, I've never had to check or replace one of these fuses, nor have they ever been in a circuit that I've had to troubleshoot (for perspective, I've certainly worked on a hundred__100+__Z3 & ///Ms). I'd be more likely to suspect the fan relay, located in/on the fuse box under the hood (LH side, near brake booster).

My Cars
    Z3 M44 roadster 1997
    under the dash, orange, very big. approx. 3cm large

similar to this, but 40a.

if you don't find it "free", is attached on the chassis, near 2 black relais.

PS: is ONLY on 4-cilynder regularly. what model is yours?
    miss ZUKU!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3

1999 Z3 auxilliary fan fuse location

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate the help.
    My car is a 1999 Z3 2.3 roadster, left hand drive with automatic.
    Some of the posts I had already seen, but the wiring diagrams will help, as well as
    the other clues.
    I have disconnected the fan and used a 12v battery to jumper the fan. Using the blue and brown wire, the fan runs (a big relief), but black to brown gets no action.
    I assume this means the resistor may be the problem. Hmmm.....?
    Any sugestions on a replacement?
    I guess the next thing is to start chasing down power to the fan connector.
    I see that the yellow compressor control relay has the same numbers as the normal speed relay, perhaps I can use it as a test.

It looks like the resistor has failed, I have removed it and jumpered the two black wires together for now, while I try to find a replacement. This has the fan come on high when the AC is on, other than more noise, is there any other problem? As it's about 100 degrees out, some extra airflow won't hurt.

Thanks again everyone.
    bluspit
    Last edited by bluspit; 06-15-2012 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 M44 roadster 1997
    your bmw is 6-cyl, you don't have fuse n.48 (as written in my fuse schematics, M44 1997 left hand, manual clutch)

Quote Originally Posted by bluspit View Post
    I guess the next thing is to start chasing down power to the fan connector.
    I see that the yellow compressor control relay has the same numbers as the normal speed relay, perhaps I can use it as a test.
    yes, you have to do at first

if the vent moves, is not a n.48 fuse problem. And if AC goes, it may not be a fuse of the climate (but test all3. one of them commands the fan)
    I don't know if the vent will start at lo-speed if you unplug the ac relay (the other yellow one you mentioned). you can try bypassing the lo-speed relay plugging pins n.30 and 87 (bypass it)
    Last edited by resunoiz; 06-16-2012 at 03:08 AM.
    miss ZUKU!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3

1999 Z3 auxilliary fan fuse location

Thanks resunoiz,
    The information on the relays helps.
    It looks like the resistor on the fan has failed, when I jumpered past it the fan runs, so I have power.
    I have temporarily bypassed the resistor while I try to find a replacement. As it is hot here some extra airflow and cooling for the air contitioner should be a good thing.

What part of Italy are you in, we were there two years ago, very beautiful place. We had a great time.

bluspit@yahoo.com

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2,5i aut.

I STILL can't find fuses 48 and 49 - please help

Quote Originally Posted by bluspit View Post
    Thanks resunoiz,
    The information on the relays helps.
    It looks like the resistor on the fan has failed, when I jumpered past it the fan runs, so I have power.
    I have temporarily bypassed the resistor while I try to find a replacement. As it is hot here some extra airflow and cooling for the air contitioner should be a good thing.

What part of Italy are you in, we were there two years ago, very beautiful place. We had a great time.

bluspit@yahoo.com

Hi all,

I have been searching, and searching for fuses 48 and 49. All I see (and hear) is that they are located under the steering wheel.
    I have removed the bottom plastic panel under the steering wheel, and I do see a lot of wiring and relays above the foot-rest-plate, but I cannot see any fuses down there.
    Are they supposed to be there, or am I searching the wrong place?

I cannot find ANY pictures of the actual location or a picture of how they should look (except the obvious picture of an oversized normal fuse).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 roadster 2.8l
    Quote Originally Posted by Noname100 View Post
    Hi all,

I have been searching, and searching for fuses 48 and 49. All I see (and hear) is that they are located under the steering wheel.
    I have removed the bottom plastic panel under the steering wheel, and I do see a lot of wiring and relays above the foot-rest-plate, but I cannot see any fuses down there.
    Are they supposed to be there, or am I searching the wrong place?

I cannot find ANY pictures of the actual location or a picture of how they should look (except the obvious picture of an oversized normal fuse).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
    Ignore the note about them being under the steering wheel. They are in a small plastic box adjacent to the main fuse box. Push back the silver metal piece sticking out and that lets you pop the top off it. There are 3 fuses in mine even though it says only 49 and 50 are in there. Not sure which is which since they aren't numbered. Anyway, I saw a wiring diagram for the auxillary/condensor fan and the only fuses its connected to are #16 and 40. My condensor fan isn't working either.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2,5i aut.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z328L View Post
    Ignore the note about them being under the steering wheel. They are in a small plastic box adjacent to the main fuse box. Push back the silver metal piece sticking out and that lets you pop the top off it. There are 3 fuses in mine even though it says only 49 and 50 are in there. Not sure which is which since they aren't numbered. Anyway, I saw a wiring diagram for the auxillary/condensor fan and the only fuses its connected to are #16 and 40. My condensor fan isn't working either.
    Thanks 2000Z328L, but I really don't see any adjacent, black plastic box next to my fuse box. I do believe you are right, though... there are NO fuses under the steering wheel. I have basically split the car in pieces without ANY trace of a fuse in that location.

Any chance you can post a picture of your secondary fuse box?

Thanks!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Noname100 just curious, have you removed the crash knee protection plate behind the dash panel? If not it makes it really hard to see whats under the wheel. AND FYI feel free to just toss that panel, as it's only useful if you negate to use your seat belts.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    There are many many renditions of the Z3 electrical. Thus pulling information off the net can be quite misleading, and send you in totally the wrong direction. For a 2001 Z3 2.5, the wiring diagram shows fuse 48 powering the highspeed relay. It is under the dash, left side. Item P97 in the official manual picture attached. They do not show a fuse 49 at all.

01-z3-aux-fuse.jpg
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 08-18-2013 at 11:39 AM.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2,5i aut.
    Thanks guys, but I have seen that drawing several times, and I still can't match up the components to what I see under the steering wheel.
    I am unfortunately about to give it.....
    I am rebuilding a salvage 2001 Z3 where the front right side was damaged, and have already changed the speed sensor in the front, right wheel, and cleaned all other sensors - still not getting rid of the BRAKE/ABS/DSC lights on the dashboard.

I really wanted to check out fuse 48/49, but I simply can't find them.
    If 2000Z328L (above) is right, there are NO fuses under the dashboard/steering wheel, and I seriously suspect that is true. There might have been on earlier models, and maybe the 2000/2001 facelift changed the location?

AMANCUSO, I have removed the plastic panels, but not the metal crash protection.... you really think it's located up there? Seems crazy to put fuses in locations that are impossible to reach.... but who knows... the Germans are crazy! :-)

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noname100 View Post

AMANCUSO, I have removed the plastic panels, but not the metal crash protection.... you really think it's located up there? Seems crazy to put fuses in locations that are impossible to reach.... but who knows... the Germans are crazy! :-)
    Absolutely! Thats where the module for the cruise control is also located. Remove that panel, it's held in by 3 bolts.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I am using a 2001/02 specific factory wiring diagram. I believe that picture was taken with the steel plate removed. But this begs the question... if the problem is with the ABS, why are you after fuse 48 (high speed cooling fan relay) and 49 (doesn't exist in an 01)?

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2,5i aut.
    Thanks, rf900rkw.
    In the beginning I was actually looking for both fuse 48 and 49 as I believed the fan was also broken, which is not the case any longer.

Since fuse 49 used to be a 40amp, is there no other high amp fuse for the ABS/DSC system?
    Call me crazy, but I might just take that crash panel off to double check... at least it will keep me from any more sleepless nights wondering if the fuse really is located there.... :-)
    Will keep you posted!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The ABS system is powered by fuses 7, 21, 27, 46, 51, 52, and 53 (53 if it's an early car). Early is a DSCiii, late is a DSC60. If it's an early car, 51-53 are in an aux box next to the main one. If it is a later car, 51-52 are in the main box.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 08-20-2013 at 07:11 AM.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2,5i aut.
    Thanks, Randy!!
    Yep, I think you are right. I have heard about an aux box next to the main fuse box, but I don't seem to have such box.
    My Z3 is from mid-2001, so I assume it's considered a "late model".
    Will investigate further tomorrow, and keep you posted.

Again, thanks for all your great advise - much appreciated.

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    I know this is an old thread. I for the life of me couldn't find the "under steering wheel" fuses, one of which is claimed to belong to the aux fan by my own fuse box lid. The Aux Fan is really fuse 40, it's 30a right next to the AC clutch fuse at 39, which is 7.5amp. I found a relay diagram online that claimed the relays went, HIGHSPEED | A/C | LOW SPEED And the wiring and power sources weren't lining up with what the wiring diagram for the AC circuit showed so I ended up pulling my aux fan down and off. it's 6 bolts, and it can slide down, loosening the power steering cooling lines makes it a breeze though. Turn out I didn't need to drop the fan though, Once I got it off and was able to easily test it on the bench, I found out it was fine. What I discovered is that the relays go HIGHSPEED | LOW SPEED | A/C Which then figuring that out I could finally trace the leads and found out that I had no broken wires. And my fuse tested good for continuity, and my hotrail side of the fuse was supplying the 12vots. I put in a new fuse and it worked fine. My fuse was the original BMW fuse and it still tests perfectly fine for continuity, it just wouldn't work for what ever reason. I even tried bending the legs out a little to see if it was making bad contact in the socket. Very strange issue for me. My problem was not that the car would over heat though, my problem was just A/C at idle wouldn't blow even slightly cold. I only noticed the fan wasn't working when I put some a/c gauges on it and saw the system running in the 500psi range on the high side. Yikes. Anyway, Fuse 40. 30amp. The steering wheel fuses aren't real. They're about as real as the "Z5 retractable glass roof" fuse.
    Last edited by panasonic; 07-03-2018 at 12:15 AM.