Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best leather cleaner?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-sport

What is the best leather cleaner?

Hey guys,
    I just got a 2003 bmw 540i m-sport last week and i dont want to have to pay to get it detailed so im going to do it myself. The seats are a bit dirty and i want to clean them but i dont have any leather cleaner. I dont want to use just any cleaner because i love this car and i dont want to ruin the leather. I want to do it right. What is the best leather cleaner and conditioner to use on the leather (gray) in my car?
    Last edited by snocohn118; 06-10-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    2003 BMW 540i M-Sport
    Charleston, SC

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-sport

What is the best leather cleaner?

Hey guys,
    I just got a 2003 bmw 540i m-sport last week and i dont want to have to pay to get it detailed so im going to do it myself. The seats are a bit dirty and i want to clean them but i dont have any leather cleaner. I dont want to use just any cleaner because i love this car and i dont want to ruin the leather. i want to do it right. What is the best leather cleaner and conditioner to use on the leather (gray) in my car
    2003 BMW 540i M-Sport
    Charleston, SC

My Cars
    E90 M3, S54 Clown shoe
    The tack guy at the barn says that anything with petroleum in it will shorten the life of any leather. That being said I have been using Wolfgang from autogeek.net. It has no petroleum in it and does not leave a slippery surface.

"If you go backwards through the Pearly Gates in a giant fireball, that's a cool way to die." -Richard Hammond

My Cars
    525i-halfbreed
    no.. go to walmart and bye baseball glove oil.. its like 2 dollars and works great. and if you dont like the dull finish that it leavs just but the armorall leather gell.. trust me.. i own a leatheriq kit and the 2 dollar glove oil works much better

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    Leatherique rejuvenating oil+pristine clean. Hands down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My Cars
    E36's
    I have never had much success with anything marketed as a leather cleaner. I've done full interior-out cleanings to my E36's 4 or 5 times and have tried various products, though none of the expensive/high end(Leatherique, etc) products.

What I will general use now is Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That stuff really is magic - it'll take scuffs right out of the leather. Just be sure not too scrub too hard, as you do see the leather's color bleeding onto the sponge. Just try to keep the sponge fairly dry so that water does not pour out of it, and you'll instantly see the dirt come off of the seat. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I can't speak for the long term effects on leather, though. I collect vintage/otherwise collectible sneakers(Nike, Air Jordan, etc) and have used Magic Erasers for many pairs over the years, with nothing but amazing results. Never had a problem using them on the leather of my 1985 Air Jordans, and I personally wouldn't have a second though about using it on my car's seats.

Estoril Blue II / Coral Red F30 335i || DAILY

Cosmos / Black E36 M3 || Parted Out
    Hellrot E36 325i || Parted Out
    S13 240sx SR20DET || R.I.P.
    Technoviolet / Modena E36 M3 || SOLD

Avus Blue / Dove E36 M3 || R.I.P.
    Briliantrot E36 325i || SOLD

My Cars
    e60
    I use Leatherique and love it. If I have a spill or need to wipe up something I use meguires between leatherique cleanings. I've used Leatherique cleaner, conditioner, and dye with great results from each.

My Cars
    2005 Z4 3.0i Sport
    I just recently purchased a 2005 Z4 and had the same question. I was able to find Lexol products at the local WalMart which have received good reviews in the past. I thought the Lexol cleaner did a great job but I was not impressed with the conditioner. The leather (black) is clean but still feels stiff and dry. Based on reading other threads I was thinking of trying either Zymol or Chemical Brothers leather conditioner.

My Cars
    M-B SL500
    ~ Providing unbiased advice that entry level, enthusiasts, professionals and industry experts trust ~~ TOGWT Blog - Facebook Page

My Cars
    M-B SL500
    ~ Providing unbiased advice that entry level, enthusiasts, professionals and industry experts trust ~~ TOGWT Blog - Facebook Page

My Cars
    e46 330cic
    I used leatherique and pristine clean on my grey leather seats in my vert and it did a great job

My Cars
    00 M_Coupe 10 335i
    I got impatient and grabbed some Lexol from Autozone and it did a nice job removing the smell in my leather. It wasn't very dirty however.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 3 series
    I've seen many products many but I stick to the Leather Honey Cleaner and Conditioner for my finished leather. Use the cleaner first to remove surface dirt and then coat it with the conditioner. Works like magic! I found some more reviews for you here: http://www.theleathercleaner.org

My Cars
    2013 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hi for your car i suggest you to buy 16 oz. Carpet Cleaner from filling factory.I used it and it realy remove spils, spots and stians from the carpet.
    Last edited by Sara Bush; 01-09-2015 at 07:17 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I tried Meguires and it was good. But I do think Leatherique products are the best. The pristine clean works great, wasn't impressed with Lexol product although it's not bad.

My Cars
    02/330ci
    You can aslo buy "Surf City Product"---Voodo Leather clearner for about 10.00. Works well on my 2002 Vert/Black Leather........cleans and conditions in a few wipes. Good Luck
    ]

My Cars
    11 328ix, 08 Q7, 93 Ty
    Lexol conditioner I think is great as for the cleaner it doesn't do that good. I have had many cars/trucks and the first deep clean I .......trust me don't laugh but to get in there that one time and not spend for ever I get a little bit of simple green and mix it with water. I try to not make it to strong. After it looks all clean of course it is all dried out I then soak it in Lexol conditioner. Going forward I use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner. It looks great.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    I have seen other recommend using "Scrubbing Bubbles" bathroom cleaner. I have not done so, yet.

Do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

I also like the Lexol conditioner. Others do not.

My Cars
    '74 tii, '85 & '86 535i
    John in VA
    BMW CCA member
    National Capital Chapter
    '74 tii "Juanita"
    '85 535i "Goldie"
    '86 535i "M-POSSTR"
    '00 328i "Fern"
    '03 530i "Titan"

My Cars
    '87 e24
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw42ofus View Post
    You can aslo buy "Surf City Product"---Voodo Leather clearner for about 10.00. Works well on my 2002 Vert/Black Leather........cleans and conditions in a few wipes. Good Luck

Ive been using that for the last couple of years.
    works great. Got mine from Walmart
    --I do not work at Walmart and will not be profiting from any sales related to this product from Walmart.

My Cars
    ghjjkjklkjl
    I use meguire too. Definitely a great cleaning product for me without the oil-like sheen that many products leave behind. The only downside I can say is that it's not the greatest smelling product out there.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Leatherique all the way, don't use meguire's or lexol or whatever else is mentioned in this thread. Leatherique is the only leather conditioner/cleaner I would ever use.
    CBlock

I used some Meguiars Leather Cleaner Conditioner. Although it was my first actual cleaner other than wipes for leather, I think it worked pretty well with a Kiwi horse hair brush and wiped off with 99 cent microfibers.

If you want a deeper clean, people say some specific All Purpose Cleaners, or APCs diluted to a low level with water does a great job. Someone with experience with that may be able to chime in?
    Last edited by xLukas; 03-09-2015 at 02:30 AM.
    Follow my Instagram to see what I'm wrenching on: @xlukaslw

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I used this one product in just one or two cars, but it is what you should use too. Trust me, I used it once and have no idea how it will affect longevity of the leather I do not know what type it is.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Convertible
    That is not dirt, but dye from ur leather. I think Leatherique is best

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast