Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best leather cleaner?

My Cars
    99 BMW M3
    it's weird...but I spray WD40 on my leather seats on my E36 M3. It cleans, softens the leather, and conditions it. I've been using it for over 2 years now....usually spray them and clean them that way once a month. After that, I buff and use Griots interior cleaner for wiping down and just giving a basic clean.
    1999 BMW ///M3 Coupe
    2014 BMW S1000RR

My Cars
    2011 335i M-Sport 'Vert

Leather Cleaner and conditioner - Hyde Food

A very good friend of mine has been in the auto parts & service industry for 20+ years and has been with *gasp* a Mercedes dealership for over 8 years. He swears by Hyde Food and says it's the best product out there for keeping leather healthy, clean and supple. With our harsh summers here in the Phoenix area the leather has a tough life. our dry environment with auto interior temps of 160+, people damage (sweat much in Phoenix summers? and day-to-day issues are brutal to seats and upholstery.
    https://www.bimmian.com/Byrons-Hyde-...for-BMW-E70-X5
    Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by charlesf View Post
    i own a leatheriq kit and the 2 dollar glove oil works much better

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster
    Best leather cleaner, Meguires degreaser diluted 10:1 and then add a good quality conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by monty400 View Post
    Best leather cleaner, Meguires degreaser diluted 10:1 and then add a good quality conditioner.
    Or Meg's APC at a 10:1 ratio - works well too.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    I have been using the Lexol two part cleaner/conditioner products for a few years. It seems to work great and smell great for the money. Though, I'd like to see something that does a better job at softening and restoring hardened leather without any sanding or extreme DIY jobs.

Here's my experience:

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Still using the Lexol cleaner with microfiber's, water and a detailing brush. Works well and is gentle on the leather.

Link: https://youtu.be/jbYBjAT8QjM

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I have successfully cleaned some reasonably filthy leather seats using shaving cream, a soft fingernail brush and rinsing thoroughly with damp rags. There are lots of thoughts on conditioners, Lexol and various saddle oils have served me well.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1999 BMW E39 540I Sport
    I just started on my 540 m-sport interior and used Leatherique rejuvenator and pristine clean. My seats were near mint and this product damaged my seat! It took off the color.....what ever you do, be gentle.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30
    I like the Zymol Cleaner and Conditioner kit. Use it on cars and home leathers. No real odors from either. The conditioner smells like a lotion.

For a budget leather cleaner I use the Griots Garage 3-1 Leather. Does the job quickly.

RFZ - Can you post some photos? Was it the rejuvinator that took color out of the leather?
    S52 E36 Compact
    E36 325is Coronaproject
    08 Saab 9-3 in Oxford Green

My Cars
    325i porsche944
    i bought some cadillac brand leather cleaner conditioner that was recommended. my daughter just did the seats on the 325i and it looks great. she put the lotion on a soft cloth and slowly rubbed it in and the cloth turned dark in spots. seems to have worked great.

My Cars
    E36 M3/E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by monty400 View Post
    Exactly what I use. Best stuff right there!

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    Leatherique used correctly is the best way to bring old leather back to life. It is definitely not a 5 minute process like a lot of the other cleaners/conditioners are. I've also used Leather Honey with good results. It is also at a few hour to few day process, depending on the condition of your leather. If you have hardened or cracking leather those two systems are the ones to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JLr7igvCZc
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    bmw x3 2017
    There are lot of leather cleaners available in the market and I have read about some online, I am unable to determine why some claim ph-balance. How does it affect the cleaning process? Refer: https://carhq.org/best-leather-cleaner-cars

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eric View Post
    A very good friend of mine has been in the auto parts & service industry for 20+ years and has been with *gasp* a Mercedes dealership for over 8 years. He swears by Hyde Food and says it's the best product out there for keeping leather healthy, clean and supple. With our harsh summers here in the Phoenix area the leather has a tough acheter medicaments life. our dry environment with auto interior temps of 160+, people damage (sweat much in Phoenix summers? and day-to-day issues are brutal to seats and upholstery.
    https://www.bimmian.com/Byrons-Hyde-...for-BMW-E70-X5
    Hope that helps!
    really nice

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Convertibl
    FESeat.jpg
    This is my wifes 2008 Ford Escape (For Sale if anyone is interested) I have been treating the leather with Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner since I got it 10 years ago.
    I use it in my 2008 335i convertible as well (only owned for 3 years so far) and they look brand new as well.
    Look! Before our very eyes, the future is becoming the past.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    I am surprised no one has mentioned baby wipes. I use them ICW Meguiars or Lexol, then lexol on an extra soft microfiber. But I rarely let my seats sit for long without cleaning. I’d use a glycerin saddle soap on a new-to-me vehicle if I were looking for a fresh detail. I’ve never found Leatherique to be any more effective, so one purchase was enough to swear me off it

My Cars
    325i porsche944
    i was told cadillac brand leather polish. got it thru amazon. seems to work well.

My Cars
    2017 Mustang GT
    Leatherique is the go-to, a bit costly but worth it. Gyeon Leather cleaner is another product that I use to clean leather. There are numerous conditioners that work well. Ammo Mouse, Bickmore, Pinnacle, etc...

A note pertaining to a few posts here - APC and Magic Eraser shouldn't be used on leather. Both will cause damage.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i (Auto)
    I just had some sport seats swapped into our recently acquired E39 530i with the usual Montana Grey leather. The seating surfaces are a bit worn, but darker in places and obviously dirty. I put some Griots 3in1 on them just to get them a bit rehabbed, but they need to be cleaned....

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i (Auto)
    I have been told Woolite is a good, gentle cleaner for the leather as it both cleans and opens up the pores so it can absorb conditioner. Anybody else heard about or used the Woolite on your leather seats?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330Ci convertib
    I used bmw brand on my 2003 330Ci convertible that I just bought used. Previous owner gave to me. Did a nice job, seats were already clean, it just made them look new

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Neatsfeat oil. It’s naturally made from purified cattle products (shin bones and feet). Same oils that penetrate a cattle hide when living and natural replenishment for leather. Saddle makers use it, shoe companies promote it, and keeps my BMW seats like new. Can always pre-wash them with a mild detergent and let dry before applying the oil. And it’s far more economical than leatherique.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i (Auto)
    So I purchased a spray bottle of the Lexol PH-balanced leather cleaner off Amazon Prime. For some reason the stores don't seem to carry this, but they carry the creme (not spray) variant. Anyways, I went over the front seats with the cleaner (as per the instructions) and did it twice using a damp microfiber towel for scrubbing/cleaner application and a Colourlock brush with synthetic bristles designed for this task. The only reason I can see that some say the LEXOL cleaner doesn't work, is that it takes a bit of patience, and uhh..WORK. I'm very pleased with the results, and then went over the seats with Griots 3 in 1 for leather. They definitely look better than they did, and I was amazed at how ugly black the water was when I rinsed out my microfiber towel I used for the cleaning stage...that didn't seem to look that dirty. The cleaner definitely lifted A LOT of dirt and other impurities out of the leather.

Someday I'd love to try the Leatherique...
    Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-04-2019 at 08:50 PM.

My Cars
    2002 540i/6

I can recommend Leatherique Oil and Cleaner

IMG_1969.jpgIMG_1951.jpg I've been using Leatherique Rejuvanetor Oil and Pristine Clean. I vacuum the seats, clean off any obvious gunk or junk and then slather on the oil. I use a small bristle brush that comes with the kit to work the oil into the leather. I think let it sit all day in the heat to give the leather time to soak up the goodness. I follow up with the pristine clean - I use a lot of the pristine clean so end up dipping a microfiber pad into a measuring cup filled part way with the pristine. I then follow it up with warm water and a microfiber towel to get any pristine residue off of the seats. I dry it off with more dry micro fiber towels and sit back and admire the results. This is from a 2001 740i that I just purchased. I did the treatment twice because it was the first time for the leather and I figured it would enjoy it

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Neatsfeat oil. It’s naturally made from purified cattle products (shin bones and feet). Same oils that penetrate a cattle hide when living and natural replenishment for leather. Saddle makers use it, shoe companies promote it, and keeps my BMW seats like new. Can always pre-wash them with a mild detergent and let dry before applying the oil. And it’s far more economical than leatherique.
    The web sez ( and we all know everything on the web is right ) that neatsfoot oil ultimately oxidizes the leather, making it brittle then cracking. Also sez it destroys synthetic threads, which may be used to stitch your seats together. Do your own fact checking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast