Harrison Motorsports

Thread: Anyone know how to get into a locked E36?

My Cars
    '00 528iT / '96 Dinan 740iL

Anyone know how to get into a locked E36?

My brother just called me to inform me that his son locked his ONLY key in his car. I swear that I thought this wasn't possible due to a built in feature...(my 318 wouldn't allow it).
    None the less, I think he's screwed for now but wanted to see if there were any tricks to the trade so to speak that he could try before calling a locksmith or ordering a new key.

Thanks

My Cars
    WRX
    If you're handy with a coat hanger and know what you're trying to do you may be able to unlock the door with it. My dad unlocked his e34 like that before.

You make a little hook with the coat hanger and slide it between the window and door and fish for the little actuator. :

My Cars
    E34s have a larger top that you can grab with a hanger if you're good enough. I don't think the E36s do though.
    I fear he'll be forced to call a locksmith.

My Cars
    WRX
    From my experiences locksmiths can't do jack on BMWs. My aunt locked her keys in her e38 and she had to get the key from BMW, the locksmith couldn't do anything.

My Cars
    97 328is, 97 528i, 06 530i
    I have done that befor (maybee twice, but who's counting). I called a locksmith guy both time b/c he was only like $15. He had a long hanger like device that he slid between the window and door jam. One time he pulled the handle which unlocks the doors and the other he pushed the button in the center console.

Good luck.
    --Jared

'97 328 is
    -OEM Clears all around
    -ECIS intake
    -supersprint w/ DTM tips

F1 Game 2008 mike27t from m3f.c says, “Enjoy it for now Massa. Kubica will be taking the lead in Britain”

My Cars
    E36 M3
    lock smith can get it out. My alarm locked my only set of keys in my car with the engine running. I called the dealship and he told me nothing a locksmith could do and to break a window. I called AAA and they sent a locksmith that slid this slim rubber piece between the door and pumped it up with air. That allowed a small enough crack for him to slide a slimjim through to pull the door lock up.

My Cars
    Thanks for all of the info guys. I'll just pass it on to him and wish him luck!

My Cars
    E46
    tell him to go to a bmw dealership with his VIN # and proof of ownership and they should be able to order him a key fast. Best way to do it, worse thing that can happen is that he can't drive the car until the key gets there, but at least now he'll have an extra key.

Wheels in Sig are SSR GT3's 19" E46 M3 fitment. Dinan E46 M3 Suspension. Pic thanks to Kyle K.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    when i locked my keys in my car, the guy put a small wedge in the rear of the driver's side window. he then put a long pole with a hook on the end though it and pulled the driver's door handle enough to unluck the door. it was a coupe, probably wouldn't work on a sedan since they have frame surrounding the window.