Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blower fan control (sword) replacement illustrated

My Cars
    1999 528iT, 1994 850ci,

Blower fan control (sword) replacement illustrated

While sorting out pics. If your heater/AC fan does not work, works only at full speed (mine did that) or does other funny things you probably need to replace "sword".

Here's how to find it and replace it.

Access to i is on pass side under dash (you need to remove under dash and one side panel):

Here it is:

You need to disconnect electrical connector and remove 2 Torx T20 screws. Also disconnect air duct:

Pull "sword" out:

One can replace power transistors (google it) or just buy rebuilt one for $100 - I did that.

Now my luxury coupe has fan that works at all speeds.

Oleg.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Thx, I need to do this.

My Cars
    Not a Ferrari
    My blower fan is starting to get persnickety, sometimes only works at full speed, and I have to turn the knob to max in order to get the fan on and it still blows at low speed.

What exactly does the sword do?

1995 540i/6 // Dylan Leff - www.originalplate.com

My Cars
    not enough
    it would be nice if you check back maybe 6 months or a year from now to let us know how the rebuilt sword is working for ya. For some reason I remember reading that this was one of those items that was "preferred" to be OEM.
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    1999 528iT, 1994 850ci,
    Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    it would be nice if you check back maybe 6 months or a year from now to let us know how the rebuilt sword is working for ya. For some reason I remember reading that this was one of those items that was "preferred" to be OEM.
    Nice to see someone who loves 8 so much and can shell out $1,093.22 for new sword module (link).

I'll try remember to post in 6 months. "Rebuild" process is to replace four MOSFET's that are off the shelf part. Here's list of links to DIY rebuild pages:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/7-ser...centrated.html

Oleg.

My Cars
    1996 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by perelet View Post
    Nice to see someone who loves 8 so much and can shell out $1,093.22 for new sword module (link).
    Naw, that's the "CONTROL UNIT" the "LIMIT SWITCH" (sword module) is only $873.33 !

Oxford Green Metallic, Parchment leather, 854 badge, EDC stock struts, M-Sport springs, 3.91 LSD, CSI rear sway, 18" M-Pars, M-Sport wheel w/flappy paddles, CD-43 head unit, Strong Strut brace, Euro FTPs, CSI rear defuser
    Previous -
    '70 2002
    '92 525it e34 - Touring
    '97 530i e39
    '06 325xi e91 - Touring

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by perelet View Post

I'll try remember to post in 6 months. "Rebuild" process is to replace four MOSFET's that are off the shelf part. Here's list of links to DIY rebuild pages:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/7-ser...centrated.html

Oleg.
    I did this repair (according to SHOGUN) when I first got my car over 7 years ago, and it is still working as advertised. Total cost of parts was less than $4 at the time.
    Glad I did not get OEM, but considering ALL of the money that was dumped into Esmerelda, I guess it really would not have been noticeable.

'93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    850,750il,3.0CS

Air duct removal

I have replaced the sword in my e32, but obviously not in the e31. Removed the 2 screws, but the duct is not playing nice, feels like it is pivoting on something up on the inside. Like a screw or press clip. Can’t find my good mirror, so will get new mirror tomorrow and if have to pull the glove box.. seems silly though.

My Cars
    91 e31 92 e31
    reading a post on another 7 series board they talked about an underdash microfilter accessible when changing sword. do 850 have this part as well?

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydsss
    reading a post on another 7 series board they talked about an underdash microfilter accessible when changing sword. do 850 have this part as well?
    No. Thank god ours is right in the top of the engine bay.

My Cars
    91 e31 92 e31
    thank you sir.....

My Cars
    850,750il,3.0CS
    For some of you that are wondering why the duct is a little troublesome to get out, I pulled the top glove box and found a press clip that was holding it in place. I felt real stupid until I took the time to investigate. In my opinion easier to investigate rather than break plastic in a 21 yr old vehicle

Now the hard part, sword replacement did NOT fix the problem of each time I take the fan control center knob off the full left detent. ALL lights on the AC heater controls go dead and all heater-AC operations are dead. If I put the fan ALL the way to the right, starts working. I am not going to put this thing back together until I get it fixed. So either the IHKA control unit in front of the sword (I have a bad one I replaced in the E32 years ago) or the actual center console control unit, or is there something else in the crevices of this beautiful beast I don't know about?
    Last edited by jramsey; 06-30-2012 at 11:02 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by jramsey View Post
    ....sword replacement did NOT fix the problem...is there something else...I don't know about?
    Yes. Stop throwing darts at a board...

Read the IHKA fault codes! This will give you a focal point. After this is done, troubleshoot with confidence.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    850,750il,3.0CS

post reading the ETK on the IHKA

I agree, after reading the ETK, I see there are about 20 different variables that could be a problem and I do not see any reasonable code readers for reading the IHKA codes on an older vehicle. Will button it up enough to drive, and hopefully my local BMW dealer can get me a readout. I can only read engine codes with the peake.

Thanks,

Jack

My Cars
    1994 850CSi
    I bought a sword on EBAY few years ago and found literature from this website in the pkg.
    www.programainc.com
    Looks like they do rebuilds and sell refurbished swords amongst other items.
    I assume the one I got was a refurbish item, works great.
    Just an FYI, no affiliation.
    Dan

My Cars
    '91 850i
    Would this fix my issue with heat in the foot wells? Or is that something completely different? Was going to pull things apart and look into it, but it is raining.

My Cars
    850,750il,3.0CS
    Finally had time to get the codes $117 at the dealer (plus $20 tip to the tech)

IHKA fault code 1:
    Temperature control wheel, right

Short circuit to B-

IHKA fault code 31:
    Air-volume control wheel

Short circuit to B-

So looks like I box up the center console control and ship it off to programa.

Jack

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    if someone wants to have his sword rebuilt and tested, contact E32Fan on the E32 forum, he is our expert electronic expert and even has set up a test module to test those items after repair
    I have everything mounted and connected, so I have a complete E32 IHKA test stand with all the electrical components - including a Blower and a Sword. I do not have Heat Exchangers or Evaporator, but I do have simulated thermistors for each of these, so I can pretend.

I even have a panel with 10 stepper motors on it (2 rows of 5).

So the Module Under Test (MUT) can include:

1. Sword N2
    2. IHKA controller A11
    3. Switch Unit S26
    4. Blower motor

After I repair a few Modules, I will understand the common failure modes and fixes.

Please send me any defective or intermittent Modules you have lying around, so I can work through a representative sample.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1861067

we sent him a lot of other parts so that he can make testing units

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1769254
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    850,750il,3.0CS

bad modules

I do have a bad e32 module. will forward..

Nice to see you still taking care of the e32 crowd.
    I will probably never let mine go (e32).

Jack

My Cars
    1995 840Ci

AC Blower Stopped Blowing

HELLO

My name is David Moore and I have a '95 840 Ci and the fan stopped blowing. In the beginning, the fan only blew on high, then the high stopped blowing. Do you think this is this caused by the sword being bad or the final stage resister or what?? Thanks for any help you can provide and for your pictured install.

Thanks,
    David Moore
    San Diego
    Last edited by shogun; 04-29-2021 at 02:18 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    blower fan speed is regulated by the sword.
    There are now some diagrams on my website
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html
    under reference data>>sword schematic

more here with plug pinout etc http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-heizschwert.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il
    How timely. I hope to replace mine tomorrow at the SoCal 8s WrenchFest. That is if I can get the damn thing from UPS.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Where did you buy your replacement from?

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Mine died last month...thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast