Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suspension Upgrade limited edition

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I hate to do a "what he said" but...I followed M6's recommendations a couple of years ago and installed Euro sport springs all around, e34 Koni adjustables up front, and CSI shocks in the rear. Aka the "Hyper Method". Now I can do all kinds of stupid teenage style, balls out drive like a maniac type stuff. Or, in other words, my car handles really well. It's a great set up.

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    " I run the Euro M-Sport rates, Gen-II K-Bars (28.5/20mm) and EDC shocks. I have been the #2 car on many mountain-road BMW club drive and I can stay right behind the M3 or M-Coup lead car. " SAME <--
    CD05001cia has camber plates euro M-sport springs and revalved Bilsteins. We've always caught up even to cafe racers on the Palmdale500.
    Last edited by CD05001CIA; 03-27-2020 at 08:02 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    20200421_174542.jpg20200421_173637.jpg
    Slowly sorting out the suspension of the new 8. Diff replaced with LSD, new axles, Eibach (with custom rears).
    The spherical bearings for the upper control arms are so pretty, it is a shame to hide them under the car. I built a second set with not too much time in the machine shop. I want this car to handle as well as the first. 8 work, the cure for cabin fever.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Does anyone want to try the H&R springs that I removed? I will give them to anyone who makes it easy to ship.
    I installed the suspension system and the other 8 is now running like new.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    94 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by thelongeride View Post
    Does anyone want to try the H&R springs that I removed? I will give them to anyone who makes it easy to ship.

I'd be interested actually, my rear springs are starting to look a bit low, and my car needs a full bushing replacement in a bad way, so I'll be in there working on stuff regardless. I'm in Miller Place, only about 20 miles away from Brentwood. I could come grab them in person at some point. Let me know!

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Sorry for the delay. Please call or text me 631two-seven-five9367. I may even meet you somewhere. In case you don't want them, at least you didn't waste your time.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by thelongeride View Post

I didn't think you would get anyone to take them.
    You aren't doing anybody a favor by giving them the H&R REAR SPRINGS.
    They are dangerous as they cause excess understeer, there 16% weaker than the stock rear springs and the rear suspension is always on the bump-stops with them installed.

Do the guy a favor and throw the H&R rear springs away.
    Help him pick a better rear spring based on the fronts he has installed.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post
    I didn't think you would get anyone to take them.
    You aren't doing anybody a favor by giving them the H&R REAR SPRINGS.
    They are dangerous as they cause excess understeer, there 16% weaker than the stock rear springs and the rear suspension is always on the bump-stops with them installed.

Do the guy a favor and throw the H&R rear springs away.
    Help him pick a better rear spring based on the fronts he has installed.
    I agree. I will suggest a setup. I will help in any way I can.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    thanks to TheLongRide for posting this solution.
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    In case any one else is wondering how the math works to find the spring rate if you were to cut it by "x" inches...

The calculation to find the rate of a coil spring is:

11,250,000 times the wire diameter to the 4th power divided by 8 times the active number of turns times the mean diameter cubed.

Active turns are the number of turns of the spring that do not touch anything. Any part of the coil which makes contact with anything becomes inactive, that is it no longer functions as part of the spring.

The mean diameter is the inside coil diameter plus one wire thickness. Or the outside coil diameter less one wire thickness.

Here is an example of the math on an old Mustang.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/c...-calculations/

Good to know.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    So I'm over the moon happy doing my rear upgrade. From Eibach kit springs to OE non-sport 3/4 coil cut now to these new Eibach 1400.300.0650 springs cut to 12.5" tall (before spring perches installed) and also installed new TRW rear shock absorbers and new BMW bump stops and BAM my car sits taller AND most importantly is that it sits so much more planted on the street. Unreal difference.

After the wheel alignment, I snapped that side pic. I love how much height I have in the rear and am even ok with the slight rake angle.
    Heck I may eventually even raise the front springs a bit to get more ground clearance from road obstacles, sidewalk entrances and speed bumps.

It also solved a 5 year problem I was chasing where anything above 85 km/h I got this bad rear end shake. It was like massage chairs were installed, and not wanted.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 E31 840ci 2000 Z3 M
    Im thinking of getting these HR sport springs to lower my 840, how can I tell what's the spring rate. From my understanding you'd want a 3.4x spring rate in the rear to the front.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...-e31-840i850i/

Edit: to add on I'm just thinking of using the front springs
    Last edited by Goodguyili; 11-08-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123