Thread: Excessive wind noise in sunroof

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i

Excessive wind noise in sunroof

Hello, I just recently purchased a gem of a 2005 545i series Beemer. I love it, but am new to them. I noticed that with the sunroof shade closed, I do not hear any wind noise, but when I open the shade, there is excessive noise coming from the seal when closed. Does anyone know if this is adjustable or can even be fixed? Or do I just have to "live with it"??

My Cars
    06 530i,07 C280,98 ML320
    Buy a new sunroof seal and install it. It's very easy to remove the old seal and press-in the new seal.

My Cars
    Everyone says that will fix it. But also the shade does act as a sound insulator. I can always hear a difference with the shade closed or open, wether it has a new seal or not. It just depends if the noise is "excessive" or not.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    E92 M3, E70 X5
    RX, I'm trying to figure this out with TIS- To replace the outer seal, am I correct in assuming that nothing has to be dissasembled? It looks pretty complex for the glass seal itself.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Everyone says that will fix it. But also the shade does act as a sound insulator. I can always hear a difference with the shade closed or open, wether it has a new seal or not. It just depends if the noise is "excessive" or not.
    If the new seal is installed properly, there should be no difference in noise level. I got mine replaced under warranty (after I kept complaining) and the new seal is quiet, shade open or closed.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by baveagle View Post
    If the new seal is installed properly, there should be no difference in noise level. I got mine replaced under warranty (after I kept complaining) and the new seal is quiet, shade open or closed.
    Agreed, same for me. The shade should NOT be a substitute for a quiet seal.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 545i
    I'm having the excesive noise issue with my shade open as well. Does anyone have a link to a good place to buy the seal?

Thanks,

My Cars
    E92 M3, E70 X5
    There are no aftermarket vendors for the seal. It's the BMW part only, either from a major vendor or the dealer. Price is about $70 with tax in person, or around $70 shipped.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...06&hg=54&fg=05

My Cars
    2004 BMW 545i
    Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by borderchris View Post
    There are no aftermarket vendors for the seal. It's the BMW part only, either from a major vendor or the dealer. Price is about $70 with tax in person, or around $70 shipped.

My Cars
    e60
    Didn't realize this was so easy to do, I think I'll do it this weekend. Thanks

My Cars
    2008 750i Sport
    Paid $55 for mine at my local bmw dealer and installed myself. Solved my wind noise problem. Just a word of advice...replace it soon...if you can hear wind noises then water intrusion into the cabin is not to far behind.

My Cars
    18 Merc. GLE, Toy Tacoma
    I replaced my seal this week. A lot better no difference in noise.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by ironb View Post
    I replaced my seal this week. A lot better no difference in noise.
    So it's a lot better? Or there's no difference?
    2005 330ci ZHP 6MT Black Sapphire over Natural Brown

My Cars
    e60
    I'm guessing it's both. A lot better than it was with the worn seal, and no difference when the sun shade is open or closed.

Are there instructions to do this, does it just pull out?

My Cars
    2008 535xi sport
    I'm not a super handy guy, so I too would love it if there was a link to a "how to" on fixing the seal. or someone could take a moment to do a quick write up...that would be AWESOME and much appreciated!

wow....nevermind! I just found a small write up "elsewhere", and it really is as simple as:

open glass fully
    starting in rear center, peel off old seal
    clean area using a cotton towel/rag and solvent (I assume any basic cleaner is fine)
    allow several minutes for cleaned area to dry
    starting at the same point in rear center, and working in sections, stick on seal to establish your seal joint
    once mounted, press down on the seal to ensure full contact

that was it. so for anyone that did this, it sounds like there is a tape-like adhesive already on the bottom of the seal itself. is this true? if so, this sounds super easy...even for not-so-handyman like myself!
    Last edited by natural320; 06-12-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"it's okay to stare...

My Cars
    2008 750i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by natural320 View Post

that was it. so for anyone that did this, it sounds like there is a tape-like adhesive already on the bottom of the seal itself. is this true? if so, this sounds super easy...even for not-so-handyman like myself!
    Yes, the new seal comes with the double-sided tape already attached to it...just peel and stick, very easy...just don't rush it, go in sections and take your time.

*** 2008 750i Sport ***Custom coding done by John @ Motorcepts.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by borderchris View Post

In the RealOEM link which part is the seal? I see the surrounding seal and the sunroof seal.

Thanks

MHK

My Cars
    2008 750i Sport

*** 2008 750i Sport ***Custom coding done by John @ Motorcepts.

My Cars
    97 M3, and others
    I was able to completely eliminate all sunroof noise on my e91 by putting 2 strips of Super 33 electrical tape along the front seal.

Its been 6 months and still as good as ever! what started as a quick temporary fix became a free permanent one. Mostly contributing to the fact I can't find the part number to the front seal (found the rear seal/gasket tho)