Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q for those who have done the E36 M50B25 to M54B30 Stroker Conversion

My Cars
    92 325is/78 Scirocco

Q for those who have done the E36 M50B25 to M54B30 Stroker Conversion

Did you use the stock 2.5L injectors or do you find you needed the 3.0L injectors to compensate for the increased cc?

Can you achieve the same results with a 4 bar fuel pressure regulator?

How does the crank position sensor get handled? The M50 Crank has the toothed wheel on the outsuide,and the M54 crank has it internal. What did you you do with the pick up sensor?

Does it need a "hotter chip" for the ECU?

Is the stock Throttle Body good enough?

Does it need any different MAF?

There are lots of threads explaining the parts needed, but has anyone completed the project and maybe found that these items need to be addressed?

I'm about to start this project and would like to know!
    Last edited by My Old Roc; 06-02-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    I have questions....many, many stupid questions.....

My Cars
    92 325is/78 Scirocco
    Nobody has any info?
    Damn.

My Cars
    335i, 535ix, 328i
    We're in the process of doing a M54B30 upgrade of our 328i (S50 cams, 330i crank and pistons). For that upgrade we'll be using 24lb Ford injectors as well as an ECU remap. I would think you would need/want to do the same. We'll also use a M50 intake manifold.

My Cars
    '94 330is, '13 335xi
    Most of this info is regurgitated from my research and the original S50 clone threads, so I have to apologize for not having first-hand answers (yet).

The first guy who did it used original injectors, apparently they are the same as the S50. You don't need a new FPR.

Use the M50 balancer/toothed wheel on the outside of the block. OBDI block does not have provisions to mount the OBDII internal sensor, although the crank will fit.

Use your stock chip or one from an OBDI M3. It will adapt to the new config and run fine. Or contact TRM for custom work. (They probably have a saved re-map by now so you can avoid custom tuning)

Stock TB is fine. If you overbore you will need a tune more than ever. Same with MAF.

I know of about 5 people online who have completed this swap. I think they all used stock chip, etc. Build the engine with minimal goodies to make sure you can cover everything necessary with your budget. If you have extra then get some Ebay SS rep headers and/or S52 camshafts and trays. The "stroker" part is really where your power is coming from. Focus on just getting a strong engine before you worry about more HP.
    Last edited by carwiz008; 06-13-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    M50 3.0L stroker project: https://imgur.com/a/l8owP?nc=1

Confucius say: Buy the best, cry only once.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by My Old Roc View Post
    Nobody has any info?
    Damn.
    Did you use the stock 2.5L injectors or do you find you needed the 3.0L injectors to compensate for the increased cc?

3.0L injectors do not exist. S50 and M50 have the same injectors

Can you achieve the same results with a 4 bar fuel pressure regulator?

never heard of this

How does the crank position sensor get handled? The M50 Crank has the toothed wheel on the outsuide,and the M54 crank has it internal. What did you you do with the pick up sensor?

S50 and M50 share the same toothed wheel

Does it need a "hotter chip" for the ECU?

yes, if you want to get all the hp out of it

Is the stock Throttle Body good enough?

M50 and S50 share the same TB

Does it need any different MAF?

No, M50 and S50 share the same MAF

There are lots of threads explaining the parts needed, but has anyone completed the project and maybe found that these items need to be addressed?

S50 and M50 share the same electronics and same exterior of the engine so your questions were answered so many times on this forum.

I'm about to start this project and would like to know!

I already answered all of your questions in my S50 clone thread

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i

S50 and M50 share the same toothed wheel
    That wasn't his question. please read more carefully.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You use the M50 sensor and crank pulley. The sensor was used through 95, including on the 3.0L M3. The toothed crank pulley was used through 99, including on the 3.2L M3 although the crank pickup was relocated to the back of the crank in 96 and the sensor placed in the back driver's side of the block. You can still use the early method even with a late crank. The M54 3.0L crank is the same crank as the 3.2L S52 M3 crank used from 96-99.

You can increase injector flow through more pressure, but BMW already uses a higher than usual pressure. Most injectors are rated at 3.0 bar or 43.5 psi, but the regulator used on the E36 is a 3.5 bar or 51.5 psi regulator. You could go even higher to gain flow instead of using larger injectors, if you had an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or higher fixed rate regulator. There are calculators you can find on the internet that show flow at pressure. Very, very roughly, increasing pressure by 50% would yield about 20% more flow. Fuel injectors can handle more pressure. Dinan used a 4.0 bar regulator to increase flow of stock injectors on some of its tuning packages.I think the E46M3 may have used a 5 bar regulator, perhaps because BMW thought the fuel would atomize better for the high compression ratio.

My Cars
    '94 330is, '13 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Boland01 View Post
    We're in the process of doing a M54B30 upgrade of our 328i (S50 cams, 330i crank and pistons). For that upgrade we'll be using 24lb Ford injectors as well as an ECU remap. I would think you would need/want to do the same. We'll also use a M50 intake manifold.
    I'm trying not to sound creepy, but judging from your username I would assume you are working with Tyler Boland on his build? A couple of us were wondering where he sourced new piston rings for the M54 from, but the other thread hasn't been updated in a while.

If you can, would you provide the supplier and price of the rings, pretty please?

My Cars
    everything
    Quote Originally Posted by carwiz008 View Post
    I'm trying not to sound creepy, but judging from your username I would assume you are working with Tyler Boland on his build? A couple of us were wondering where he sourced new piston rings for the M54 from, but the other thread hasn't been updated in a while.

If you can, would you provide the supplier and price of the rings, pretty please?
    they are available at your local BMW dealer

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=11&fg=20&hl=4
    Last edited by swrmotorsports; 06-14-2012 at 02:17 PM.

My Cars
    '94 330is, '13 335xi
    I guess I was looking for a good non-OEM set if anybody has tried those. Grant kits are cheap ($170) but I've only heard of those being commonly used in US iron blocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180704866651?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2649

Anybody have experience with Mahle rings? $135 for the whole set??

http://www.koperformance.com/part-nu...57506252/MAHLE

I'm not looking to skimp but factory rings would seriously stretch the budget. I was hoping to get away with aftermarket rings on stock compression.
    Last edited by carwiz008; 06-14-2012 at 02:42 PM.

My Cars
    96 328i(3L Frankenmotor)
    Quote Originally Posted by carwiz008

Im using the rings made by Mahle, search the part number and you'll find several vendors.

They look nearly identical to oem, with only the oil ring being slight different.

Sent from my droid x.

My Cars
    everything
    if your gonna build a motor and you skimp on something as important as rings, you are gonna have a bad time

My Cars
    '94 330is, '13 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by swrmotorsports View Post
    if your gonna build a motor and you skimp on something as important as rings, you are gonna have a bad time
    granted. But I haven't heard any horror stories with Mahle. Thanks Tyler, part number 11257506252 from RealOEM

My Cars
    92 325is/78 Scirocco
    Awesome. Thanks for the answers guys.
    Sounds like I'm good to go withthe project!
    I'll let you all know how it goes.

techno550 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    If your 1992 325is is a non-vanos motor, then not all of the above will apply.
    If you have a M50TU then most of the comments apply.

the motor will run fine with 17 lb/hr injectors, which are standard M50 and M50TU injectors. A common swap is 21.5 lb/hr injectors, which are the standard injectors for the 96-99 328 and M3 models. The stock throttle body is the same for all obd1 cars, including the M3. Same goes for the M50TU MAF and S50B30US MAF.

If you have a non-vanos, I would strongly suggest finding a complete M50TU and wiring harness to swap to for this build.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    1987 328i (track car)
    So correct me if I am wrong, but of what I've gathered, you just need all of the OEM m50b25tu harness, Mani, DME, sensors, and an m54b30 long block to run the m54 in the e36?
    Speed>Elegance

My Cars
    325 e36 1995
    Hello
    I'm mounting my stroker kit with the m54b30 rotary set on my M50b25tu
    I intend to keep my stock commands for now until I can find one at a good price.

Do you think I can leave the stock ECU maps Will it work?
    Or should I use the S50b30 maps even using the m50b25TU commands?
    At the moment I do not want HP anymore, only that my engine works well.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    This is an old thread but you will probably still get input, but the earlier posters may not be around. I am doing the similar conversion with an m52 but it is not complete so my advice is only based on my research.
    It will run off the stock software because the fuel injection systems provides fuel to meet air intake. I would stick with the stock tune to limit (for now at least) so you can see the impact of one change at a time. If it isn't right after you get everything together, you want to have a minimal number of variables to investigate. What cams are you using?, they probably will have a bigger impact on tune requirements than the increased displacement.
    You can play with the tune once it is all together and running. Are you swapping the exhaust manifolds?, if you aren't already planning a custom header, I would at least recommend using the m52/s52 headers which are a cheap upgrade that is lighter, flows better and is easiest to change with the engine out of the car.
    Last edited by gdavid; 02-16-2018 at 08:10 AM.

My Cars
    325 e36 1995
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    This is an old thread but you will probably still get input, but the earlier posters may not be around. I am doing the similar conversion with an m52 but it is not complete so my advice is only based on my research.
    It will run off the stock software because the fuel injection systems provides fuel to meet air intake. I would stick with the stock tune to limit (for now at least) so you can see the impact of one change at a time. If it isn't right after you get everything together, you want to have a minimal number of variables to investigate. What cams are you using?, they probably will have a bigger impact on tune requirements than the increased displacement.
    You can play with the tune once it is all together and running. Are you swapping the exhaust manifolds?, if you aren't already planning a custom header, I would at least recommend using the m52/s52 headers which are a cheap upgrade that is lighter, flows better and is easiest to change with the engine out of the car.

Thank you
    In this first step, I intend to keep the cams and exhausts of the M50b25Tu.
    In the future use the Ebay headers and S52 cams.

My biggest doubt is the tune issue. If I continue in this first step the M50 or change to the S50.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    I would not change the tune until you upgrade the cams.

My Cars
    325 e36 1995
    thank you
    Today i'm running with my m50b30tu
    I using the internals of m54b30.
    With the original ECU setting was running lean.
    I tuned the ECU with the tunner pro. now it's running ok.
    193WHP

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Thanks for reporting back. Is that still with the m50tub25 cams? I hope to finally run mine within a couple weeks.
    Last edited by gdavid; 08-28-2018 at 09:30 PM.

My Cars
    325 e36 1995
    Yes, still with the m50tub25 cams.
    In the future I'll install s50 or s52 cams.

My Cars
    325 e36 1995
    I replaced my injetors with the pink top of M52b28.
    And tunned ECU with Tunner Pro Software, using a wideband.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Following! I'm planning on doing the stroker build on my M50B25TU but also boosted to about 25psi, I'll be ordering parts within the next 6 months.
    Here is what I wanted to order so far for the internals:
    M54B30 connecting rods
    https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mob...m54-p2278.aspx
    M54B30 piston set(w/piston rings, wrist pins and locks)(8.8:1CR)
    https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mob...-m54-p782.aspx
    M54B30 connecting rod bearings
    https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mob...-us-p1063.aspx
    M54B30 crankshaft bearings
    https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mob...2us-p1696.aspx

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wes1311; 12-29-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast