Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering wheel quick release - Which type and how they work?

My Cars
    e 36 325i
    I am using the Rogue QR with a MOMO hub and steering wheel.

This set up works great and allows me to keep the horn.

There is no play in it,

here are pics of the install in my car

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7#post25253047

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    I like the Snap-Off QR. I think it is easier to get on an off and there is never any slop in the steering wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by E36forever View Post
    Yep, none of the above are even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCarroll View Post
    +1 Snap-Off
    I'll throw my hat in with the Snap-Off fans. I looked into all available options and concluded that it was the best for my needs.

I love how the wheel only fits one way and there's zero slop. It's also very low-profile compared to other units. The wheel pops off in an intuitive way (unlike NRG). You can maintain the born if you want to. And it's very reasonably priced.

A winner all around.

Quote Originally Posted by PCarroll View Post
    The Snap-Off is low profile so it does not extend the wheel more than say an inch. Might even be less. So my seating position was still where I wanted it.

The other hubs bring the wheel much closer to you - which I didn't like
    That was a major selling point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmypet View Post
    FWIW, I was trying to buy a part for my Snap Off unit, and I was told they are out of business by a vendor.
    I then called the numbers on their corporate website and got a Voicemail box.

Anyone else heard that?
    They're available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...V53ACK6CDPMF9F
    Last edited by Emre; 10-14-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Link added

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5
    back from the dead

How much closer does the Rogue QR with Sparco/Momo/OMP hub put the steering wheel to you?

Which hub is the best?
    I've cracked a MOMO and a Works Bell hub by over-torqueing them (but actually only to OEM spec) on a S2000. I'm thinking of Going with the NRG short hub over a cast metal hub

I have a sparco Ring 330mm with 35mm dish which is really minimal.

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    What's the purpose of a quick release wheel?

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt
    Quote Originally Posted by graphite9 View Post
    What's the purpose of a quick release wheel?
    It makes it easier to exit a car with a race seat and roll cage that has door bars.
    http://www.hardmotorsport.com http://Facebook.com/HardMotorsport

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    Ah, so the guys with streetcars no cages or seats are just posers. Makes sense. Good, one less thing I have to buy

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    Quote Originally Posted by graphite9 View Post
    Ah, so the guys with streetcars no cages or seats are just posers.
    Lol. Pretty much. With a full containment seat, HANS device, and cage the quick release wheel makes it much easier to pull yourself out over the door bars.

I suppose you could use it on a street car as a theft-prevention measure. Hard to drive off in a car without a wheel.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5
    in my case, 6'3" with 35" inseam. since I end up having my seat far back b/c I'm long legged, my arms stretch out just a tad more than I want them too at the top 12'o'clock of the steering. I want an aftermarket wheel that is smaller than stock and I want to space the wheel out about 1-1.5", which hub and QR combo would acheive this?
    Last edited by berny2435; 02-12-2014 at 07:11 PM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Reseurrecting a dead thread
    I have an e30 with a momo hub and flat wheel.
    I want to add a quick release, but the seating and wheel position are perfect and I don't want to extend the wheel any further toward the driver.
    It looks like I will need to either sell my current hub and buy a complete set up or possibly use a weld-on version with the momo hub. I have not been able to find any pics or info on the later option regarding which way it moves the wheel.
    Any ideas?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Check out the NRG Gen 3 http://www.getnrg.com/products/quick-release/gen-3.0 and the NRG Short hub http://www.getnrg.com/products/short-hub. I haven't measured everything but it should be pretty close.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yeah. Looks like a good set up but may set me back twice what Weld-on and a spacer would?
    Was hoping to to have to spend $400 on this, but it may end up that way.
    At least this version can be moved to other cars in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jim13x View Post
    Check out the NRG Gen 3 http://www.getnrg.com/products/quick-release/gen-3.0 and the NRG Short hub http://www.getnrg.com/products/short-hub. I haven't measured everything but it should be pretty close.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    The NRG stuff is ok for a street car, but not sure I'd use it in a race/track car. I bought it and installed it, but the QR feels kinda cheap and it's a pain to operate with racing gloves on. I am using their hub and it's fine, but I bolted on a better QR.

The weld-on ones are more cost effective and probably a good way to go if you're a good welder or have a good welder. But if you need to pay someone to weld that all up you need to include that in your cost.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I use the NRG short hub and NRG quick release paired with an OMP wheel, I love my setup. Luckily the shop that did my cage and seat mounts had a good selection of wheels and hubs to mix/match hub sizes and wheel dishes to get my desired position with the racing seats.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    I had a smart racing products one. It was decent. I just replaced it with a Rothsport...it doesn't get any better IMO.

http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Ch...eering-Hub.htm
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    97M3,E46325iT,98Boxster
    Rothsport all the way.

I had a Sparco QR that became loose after a year of use. Would not use an NRG for anything more than a paperweight.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
    The NRG stuff is ok for a street car, but not sure I'd use it in a race/track car. I bought it and installed it, but the QR feels kinda cheap and it's a pain to operate with racing gloves on. I am using their hub and it's fine, but I bolted on a better QR.

The weld-on ones are more cost effective and probably a good way to go if you're a good welder or have a good welder. But if you need to pay someone to weld that all up you need to include that in your cost.
    My car came with an older version NRG and I agree, it was a wobbly piece of junk. I did not plan on buying another one but a racer I respect convinced me to try the Gen 3 and it's light years ahead of their other stuff. It auto centers, it's rock solid and it's easy to operate with gloves, blindfolded, etc.

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan, 97 M3 Coupe
    Bumping this thread for updates on the Rogue quick release. I am thinking of purchasing one to get the steering wheel closer and to be able to move in and out of the car easier. For the price, it seems like a well made piece. Does it have any play after years of usage?

My Cars
    99 M3
    I've had a Rogue QR for 3 years, and there is still zero play.
    99 M3

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Still happy with my Rogue piece after 4 years of use and about to transfer it to a second chassis for continued use.

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan, 97 M3 Coupe
    Thank you for the replies. I just purchased the QR.

My Cars
    E30 M3 Touring Car #10
    Many years of race use on my Rogue and it's in fine shape.
    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion, 2011 and 2013 SCCA National Championship Runoffs 3rd Place, STU, 2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year, 2012 SCCA Northeast Division STU Champion, 2015 SCCA Runoffs Pole Position Daytona/STU

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    My friend just installed a new NRG in his Miata and I'm pretty impressed with it. Very tight, no slop, release mechanism feels good.

My Cars
    Mulitiple
    Rogue quick release is the best. Several years of use by me and no slop. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 BMW E34 525i
    did the nrg retain horn (without some ghetto contact ring) and signal canceller?

1998 BMW e36 M3
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Journal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12