Thread: 535i/540i V8 Radiator Removal/Replacement

My Cars
    4 x Assorted BMWs

535i/540i V8 Radiator Removal/Replacement

Hi Guys
    After looking for a DIY on the M62 Motor Radiator Removal and Install with no luck finding one I have decided to do one but have copied another post of the 6i and added the changes of the M62 to it.
    Now I am no expert and only did this today but I hope it helps someone to make there life easier when removing Radiator from V8s

Tools Needed:
    Flat Head Screwdriver (For OEM Hose Clamps)
    Small Phillips Head Screwdriver (Standard Hose Clamps)
    Large Phillips Head Screwdriver (Bleed screw Removal)
    8mm Socket racket
    10mm Socket racket
    32mm open spanner (If Removing Fan Clutch)
    Rages for cleaning up

Here are the steps:

Setup:
    This is not necessary as I did mine on the ground but you can drive the car onto ramps and or using jacks to allow easier access to underside of vehicle.
    I did not bother to use drain plug. I just moped up the mess afterwards.

Draining old radiator:

Don't bother with number 1.2 and 3 if your car is on the ground and don't have ramps,

1. Remove drain plug on bottom drivers side of radiator (turn it 90 degrees and pull to remove). Have your catch pan ready because coolant will come pouring out once you do this.

2. Remove cap from expansion tank

3. Allow coolant to drain until it is down to a slow drip.

Remove Air Box:

1. Remove 10mm nut behind box.

2. Undo hose clamps that connect to the MAF and lower air breather hose and lift out Air Box.

Disconnecting hoses:

1. Disconnect upper radiator hose (upper right side looking from front of car) by removing spring clamp with a flathead screwdriver and then pulling on hose. Allow coolant to drain into catch pan.

2. Disconnect lower radiator hose (lower left side looking from front of car) by removing spring clamp with flat head screwdriver. Allow coolant to drain.

If you have a Automatic M62

*3. From underneath vehicle disconnect both of the automatic transmission hoses (lower Right side looking from front). Once again there are spring clamps you remove with a flathead screwdriver. Allow coolant to drain.
    *automatic transmission only
    Note:
    I did not use this method even though I have a Automatic, I disconnected the hose with a flathead screwdriver where it connects to the attachment on the right hand side of the car looking from the front at the bottom right and left the hose attached to the radiator and removed it after the radiator was removed.

Unplugging electrical connections:

1. Unplug both electric connections that are on far left side of radiator. Squeeze clips and gently pull to separate.

2. Disconnect thermometer from fan shroud by pushing down and tilting to side.

Removal of fan shroud:

1. Unscrew plastic bleed screw attaching expansion tank to fan shroud with a large Phillips head screwdriver.

2. Remove expansion tank Cap so you can now lift out small plastic flap that is uner bleed screw that holds expansion tank to the fan shroud by lifting up with small flat head screwdriver.

3. Remove clips on either side of radiator that hold fan shroud in place.There are two of these on each end of the fan shroud and all you have to do use a small flat head screwdriver to remove pin then after that take out the plug that holds the fan shroud in place.(Be careful not to loose these).

4. Now there is a small coolant hose that runs from the top of the right side of the radiator looking at it from the front and it runs across under the fan shroud and into the expansion tank, Now you can't see this and it is very important you don't try to pull off the expansion tank because this hose is attached by a small clamp.
    Lift the fan shroud up slowly and carefully straight up about 4 inches this with reveal the hose and both clamps that you can use either a small flat or Phillips head screwdriver depending on which clamps you have on your car. Pull slowly and carefully the hose out on each end. Be careful not to break the plastic fitting on the expansion tank.
    You can now remove the expansion tank but make sure the hose is removed from the bottom of the expansion tank and also the electrical clips also removed by just uncliping it.

5.Use below method to remove Shroud from car but if car is on ground like me I just took my time and slowly lifted the shroud up and out of the car making your way past the fan clutch.

If your car is on Ramps:Use below method

5b. Time for your assistant to help! While one person pulls from the top, the other person needs to go underneath the car and gently push fan shroud past the fan blades. Turning fan blade by hand will help shroud to work past blades easier. It is a very tight fit but it should clear*
    *there are small flares on the bottom of the fan shroud. They catch on EVERYTHING so you may want to clip them off if you get desperate

Removing Clutch Fan:

1. I did not do this because I felt confident I could get the whole lot out just taking my time. But if you want to take the fan Clutch off to give yourself that extra rooms here is how.

2. Using 32mm open spanner placing it into the nut behind the fan Clutch and hit it to the right (This is a left hand thread so please remember)
    Make sure you don't over swing and break something and it should come loose after a few small whacks with a mallet hammer.
    Remove fan Clutch.

Radiator Removal:

1. Unscrew the two 8mm bolts that hold the radiator in place located on each side on the top of the radiator.

2. Carefully Pull up the radiator free of the engine compartment. Catch any additional coolant that flows out.Make sure you take your time to do this so you can see any hoses or electrical lines you may have missed.

Installation of new radiator/ Re-installation of fan shroud:

1. Before placing new radiator in engine compartment make sure to take the rubber fittings off sides of the old radiator and push onto new one. They may have fallen off during removal so look under vehicle and on engine compartment ledges if you can't find them. THESE RUBBER PIECES HOLD FAN SHROUD CLEAR OF FAN BLADES SO MAKE SURE YOU PUT THESE BACK IN!!!

2. Lower new radiator into engine compartment. You may need to tilt radiator to work it into place. Make sure rubber pieces are on radiator because they keep the radiator/fan shroud in place.

3. Put fan shroud back into place. Once again you will need an assistant to help you work the shroud past fan blades. Turning the fan as you push down on the shroud will help it slide past more easily.

Reconnecting hoses:

1. The order you reconnect hoses in doesn't matter but go ahead and reconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses (as well as the auto-transmission hoses if applicable). Make sure hoses are FULLY PUSHED TOGETHER and put spring clamps back on.

2. Reconnect the overflow hose that runs between the expansion tank and radiator. Use your 3/4 inch clamp to tighten hose around plastic fitting. Again be very careful not to break the plastic pieces that plug into the hose.

Clips and electrical connections:

1. Re-attach the clips and plugs that were removed.

2. Plug both electrical connections back together.

3. Secure the thermometer in place on the left side looking from the front of the car of the fan shroud.

Refilling Radiator:

1. Measuring equal parts of non-diluted coolant and distilled water, refill radiator by pouring into the expansion tank. Fill until top of floating measuring pole is at top of expansion tank.
    * measuring stick may become stuck in the draining process. If it isn't floating, tap a few times with a screwdriver blade and it should get dislodged

2. Use the M62 Bleeding method to make sure you do the job properly.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1423821

I will be adding Pictures as soon as I can get my bloody camera to work and add them to the step by steps.

I hope this helps all the fellow DIYs out there.
    Cheers
    Addam
    Last edited by ozibimmer; 05-29-2012 at 04:33 AM.
    BMW I Own
    E24 1983 635csi Race Car Build (Schnitzer Replica) http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21792
    E24 633csi 4 Speed Manual
    E24 635csi /// 1986 4 Speed Auto
    E24 635csi /// 1986 Getrag Manual
    E23 735i 1986 *** 4 Speed Auto

My Business

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BMWre...68407960016698

DIY E24 Dash Removal
    http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20630&start=0&postdays=0&postorder =asc&highlight=

My Cars
    2001 540i
    Ozibimmer - Thanks for the great writeup. I plan on attempting this this weekend, Cheers!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Thumbs up

Thanks to Andrew (Silverlight) for pointing this thread out. Thanks for doing this Ozi. If anyone does or notices a DIY, please PM me or another Moderator of this section so we can move it into the DIY section.
    Also, if anyone does an M62 radiator replacement in the future, please consider taking some pics that can be added to ozi's post.
    TIA
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 12-02-2012 at 02:24 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    and no single picture
    How many pics have you include with your DIYs?

I was looking at some of the other DIYs in the DIY section and found that Blacksapphire's Zionsville rad and electric fan install thread pics are all broken. He deleted all the photos in his PB account after he sold the car. Peter540 mentioned having pics from his install so, I may try to piece the DIY back together. Most likely though, the DIY will just be deleted.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 12-02-2012 at 12:16 PM.

My Cars
    01 540iT
    Just changed my radiator today on m62tu and pretty easy job thanks to this thread and a couple others below which has a lot of pictures.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1624287
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/46816