Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E31 DME 1.7 INPA without EWS - working

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    I've read before I decided to go that way and a lot of e31 owners say it read every module in a car. There is a problem with keeping communication constant, but not really affecting anything.
    Which version of ICOM device are you using?? I had used one some years ago on my 1991 850, horrible, slow, connected only to DMEs super slow to connect to EML.. connection drops and inconsistent.. BUT Worked incredibly well on 2001 E38...

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    Which version of ICOM device are you using?? I had used one some years ago on my 1991 850, horrible, slow, connected only to DMEs super slow to connect to EML.. connection drops and inconsistent.. BUT Worked incredibly well on 2001 E38...
    The last one "ICOM 3" with 2016.12 software version.

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Good too know about e38 (just got myself 740il last week)

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    I had used one some years ago on my 1991 850, horrible, slow, connected only to DMEs super slow to connect to EML.. connection drops and inconsistent.. BUT Worked incredibly well on 2001 E38...
    I tested an ICOM with ISTA/D a couple of years ago and could access all modules in the E31. The ICOM diagnostic head and ISTA/D software replace the older GT1 and DIS so it's only logical it supports the same vehicles (and more obviously). Performance was on par with the older DIS. Not bad, not great. Definitely nowhere as fast as with newer bimmers but I guess our old cars are to blame for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    I've read before I decided to go that way and a lot of e31 owners say it read every module in a car. There is a problem with keeping communication constant, but not really affecting anything.
    You're probably referring to my experience. After some time the ICOM would lose connection to the car and the only way to restore it was by restarting ISTA/D and power cycling the ICOM. Quite annoying for longer diagnostic sessions. I should mention this was with a Chinese ICOM clone. I haven't heard similar experiences from other E31 owners, so I think it was a issue with this particular clone. I had bad experiences with Chinese GT1 yellow head clones as well. Some work great, some don't. I guess you get what you pay for... If possible, buy from a source where you can easily return and get a refund in case you experience issues.

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    You're probably referring to my experience. After some time the ICOM would lose connection to the car and the only way to restore it was by restarting ISTA/D and power cycling the ICOM. Quite annoying for longer diagnostic sessions. I should mention this was with a Chinese ICOM clone. I haven't heard similar experiences from other E31 owners, so I think it was a issue with this particular clone. I had bad experiences with Chinese GT1 yellow head clones as well. Some work great, some don't. I guess you get what you pay for... If possible, buy from a source where you can easily return and get a refund in case you experience issues.
    Yes, it was you. And yes, I am getting a Chinese clone as well. So far not too many sellers offer ICOM 3, donor much to chose from. But I will definitely ask return/exchange policy.

Update: will be getting ICOM NEXT (better version of ICOM A2). People say ICOM A3 doesn't support old cars at all.
    Last edited by dancerst; 02-18-2017 at 12:09 PM.

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    Please post your set up when you get it sorted, i'm very interested as well. I have a GT1 set up right now but would like a newer interface if possible.
    Live, Love, Life, Amazing...

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by peezen View Post
    Please post your set up when you get it sorted, i'm very interested as well. I have a GT1 set up right now but would like a newer interface if possible.

I will, no problem, but it's gonna be beginning of April (out of country till then)

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    I have used Chinese set up...pretty terrible.

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Update on Chinese ICOM setup:

IT WORKS!

I ordered ICOM NEXT with pre installed ISTA, ISTA/P, INPA and etc. on HDD(pre installed win 7)

Laptop I'm using is Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 MK6

On my 840 I managed to access every module and did what I needed to do first - deactivate initialization lock in the interior mirror so I can use my remotes again.
    Changed my speed when front windows close automatically.

Last edited by dancerst; 02-25-2017 at 11:36 AM.

My Cars
    05/1993 BMW 850CSi
    Hi dancerst,

thanks for the interesting info! Can you please post a link from the offer, where you have bought your ICOM.

Thanks and regards,
    Joachim

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnoNym View Post
    Hi dancerst, thanks for the interesting info! Can you please post a link from the offer, where you have bought your ICOM. Thanks and regards, Joachim
    Sure. Here is the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262851982975

My Cars
    05/1993 BMW 850CSi
    Super! Thanks dancerst!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850
    Hi,
    Anyone still got the m70_non_ews scripts package for inpa? I have an E31 850i -92
    Thanks! PM if you like.

Cheers!

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Captenkaos View Post
    Anyone still got the m70_non_ews scripts package for inpa?
    https://revtor.be/guest/m70_non_ews_e31klubpl.rar (all credit to guest)

My Cars
    850 CSI
    yep, on my free laptop image ... has INPA (without EWS) installed and I should have the scripts somewhere as well.
    BMW 850 CSI march 1994 (EU spec), SOLD. https://www.classiccars-forsale.com/...94-bmw-850csi/
    BMW 850 CSI november 1994 (EU spec)

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850
    Thanks buddy!
    I didnīt try it yet but I saved it for future.

CK

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i M70 Coupe
    Hey there!
    I know it has been a few years on this thread but I felt like I found the right thing except the link for the rar file does not work anymore. I drive an early 1990 M70 E31 and want to perform diagnostics on my dear love. Help is very much appreciated, regards from Hamburg, Germany
    Nils
    you can reach me via n@hsu-hh.de

- - - Updated - - -

Saw here was a working link just a second later, but does anyone have the rest of the software? The rar only has the IPO
    Thanks in advance,
    Nils

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    link works just fine -
    https://revtor.be/guest/m70_non_ews_e31klubpl.rar

Quote Originally Posted by NilsT View Post
    Hey there!
    I know it has been a few years on this thread but I felt like I found the right thing except the link for the rar file does not work anymore. I drive an early 1990 M70 E31 and want to perform diagnostics on my dear love. Help is very much appreciated, regards from Hamburg, Germany
    Nils
    you can reach me via n@hsu-hh.de

- - - Updated - - -

Saw here was a working link just a second later, but does anyone have the rest of the software? The rar only has the IPO
    Thanks in advance,
    Nils
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    850i
    Quote Originally Posted by quest View Post
    go to INPA dir -> CFGDAT -> edit file BMW_ALT.ENG,
    find [ROOT_E31_MOTOR] and add line "ENTRY=DMEBOTH.IPO, DME 1.7 both motronics,".

You can also start that script by right button mouse click -> open with -> select the INPALOAD.EXE from path INPA/BIN.
    I added the extra ENTRY in [ROOT_E31_MOTOR], but it will still not show as extra option in the INPA selection menu. Fortunately the L and R DME-files do work now!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quest View Post
    EGS diagnose works only with DIS, modified ads32.dll driver is necessary.
    I found the file ads32-dell.dll, and replaced the original ads32.dll file (deleting -dell in the file name). INPA won't start up with this modified file.
    Still looking for ways to approach my EGS gearbox ECU...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123