Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 track/street build thread

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Can anyone say beyond a shadow of a doubt (personal experience) how much can be removed from the block/head interface (block/head decking and thinner headgaskets) on an S50 with stock cams before one should start to worry about valve/piston contact?

My Cars
    99 BMW E36 M3 AR Design
    Cams sound good brother! I want fireballs next time!

My Cars
    911, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3equalslife View Post
    Cams sound good brother! I want fireballs next time!
    Thanks! I've really been enjoying them. If you go to my youtube account, I posted a better video where you can really hear them.

My Cars
    Triumph Daytona 675
    Awesome build! Have been following since 1st page.

My Cars
    911, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerdriver99 View Post
    Awesome build! Have been following since 1st page.
    Thanks! I can't believe how far it has come, and it's only going to get better from here. The new racing season is about to start up and I plan on getting a whole lot of track time in 2013 (NASA events, open lapping days, PCA, etc). I will be at any and every event that fits in my schedule.

My Cars
    Yes please
    unreal build. hopefully I can get to 1/4 of your accomplishments this year.

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    I'm more interested in increasing compression.
    The best way to increase compression would be with different pistons, rods or crank or all of the above
    S50's run pretty high compression (about 10.8:1) and the problem you can run into by raising the compression much over 11:1 is detonation. Often, on a race motor, the best bet is to go to a better designed piston and get the compression to 11:1.
    www.AutobahnSouth.net
    German Automotive Performance & Race Prep
    Authorized Dealer for Dinan, Bimmerworld, Turner Motorsport,
    UUC Motorwerks, APR and more.

My Cars
    TURBO 99 M3, F82 M4
    Thanks for the link, amazing progression. Love people who not only drive, but also labor on the cars they love to drive. Best of luck in the future! Subscribed!
    Mod list - M50 manifold; TechniqueTuning Stg2, Apex Arc-8, ZKW euro, clear corners Mike R diffbrace, Koni Yell with HR race
    X-brace UCC tranny mounts -BLK/with enforcers, powerflex rtabs,lcabs, AAfanclutch, mishimoto rad, UCC Ultra-cerametallic Clutch.
    You will go through days of joy and days of sadness as the pursuit for power leads to madness...

My Cars
    911, 95 M3
    Had a great time at the track this weekend. The car performed well and I learned a whole lot this weekend; more than I thought I would in 2 days. The new mods are DEFINITELY noticeable. The cams make the car pull so hard all around the track. It was absolutely no problem to pass 3 cars at a time on the front straight. Both instructors that rode with me commented on how hard the car pulls and how great the exhaust sounded.

The first day out, it decided to rain, making the track extremely slippery. Even though I was on street tires, I spun twice, but I learned what to do in that situation and the limit of the car in wet conditions. There was absolutely no damage done to the car so I was good to get back out there.

As it dried up, I started really pushing the car as I had just focused on perfecting the line while it was raining. I feel like I really got it down and my times agree. I was running consistent 2:07-2:08's with a fastest of 2:05. While these are not record setting laps, I feel that they are pretty good for my skill level. I did not get passed once this weekend and I found myself lapping the field every session. The car really had a lot left in it, but I had to let off about 500 feet early in the main straight and a bout a hundred feet earlier in the two back straights due to worn down brakes. I will be upgrading them to something much better before the next outing.

Also, Just so everyone knows, the reason people are sticking their arms out the window is because they are signaling me to pass

Going over the line with my instructor

My friend, who just got his instructing license, took me for a ride

Got passed them all

And now its dry!

Tonight I will upload the video I got with my gopro before it died

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    You did a great job this weekend, Grant. Car looked flat, you drove a good line and went deep into the braking zone. All around, much improved! There were definitely so fast times set this weekend! Our 888 ran a 1:53.085!
    www.AutobahnSouth.net
    German Automotive Performance & Race Prep
    Authorized Dealer for Dinan, Bimmerworld, Turner Motorsport,
    UUC Motorwerks, APR and more.

My Cars
    95 ///M3
    I love this car.

My Cars
    911, 95 M3
    Video from this weekend. Make sure to check out 9:24 where I pass a GT3 cup car

Last edited by gbreeE90; 03-11-2013 at 04:59 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Sick ride man

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    2001 540i E39
    I just gotta say, your build is my absolute favorite build on the whole forum! I have read through it completely about 3 times because I love to see the hard work and various things you've done to it. A build like this is one that I dream of doing one day. Always wanted to make a track car (well only until I started driving myself). Its on my bucket list so it'll happen one day!
    e39 2001 540i 142,xxx miles - CAI, Redline MTL, Bilstein Sport w/H&R Sport, m60 manifold, 10w AA, Hankook ventus v12, and maintenance

My Cars
    911, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    I just gotta say, your build is my absolute favorite build on the whole forum! I have read through it completely about 3 times because I love to see the hard work and various things you've done to it. A build like this is one that I dream of doing one day. Always wanted to make a track car (well only until I started driving myself). Its on my bucket list so it'll happen one day!
    Thanks! 2013 will be a great year for this car, I do believe. Its going to see a lot of track time and upgrades along the way. Brakes are the only thing I plan on doing before the next track day, so look out for that update.
    Last edited by gbreeE90; 03-06-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    This build is fairly addicting, subscribed for inspiration
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    '98 323ti Ringtool
    Nice build, one of my favorites !

My Cars
    911, 95 M3
    So I finally decided to upgrade the stock brakes. I was originally planning on getting brembo blanks with a racing pad, but BRracing had a customer back out on a purchase and I picked up these and a set of hawk HT-10's for a very good price. While I realize that these wont be that much better on street tires than the aforementioned brembo blanks and racing pads, I feel that they will be a worthwhile upgrade once I start running r-comps (sometime within the next 6 months).

First thing I saw near me to use as a size comparison

My Cars
    BMW E36 S54 Sedan
    Great upgrade, i love it!

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1991 Miata
    Great build! It's a relatively amazing (and easy to follow) example of getting a car to track status.

Easily Impressed

My Cars
    1987 BMW e30 329ETA
    Im kind of confused, i see the M Power on the engine, but no ITB`s? why are you using an m50 stock intake manifold?

My Cars
    00 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyssen View Post
    Im kind of confused, i see the M Power on the engine, but no ITB`s? why are you using an m50 stock intake manifold?

in the US, we didn't get the same awesome enignes the rest of the world got. no ITB's on ours.

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Gbree, you might want more than HT10's, just my thoughts. Good Luck! Nate.
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Wow those look good... I'd want to set those on my desk at work for a while just to look at

My Cars
    911, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by B0rJarZz View Post
    Great upgrade, i love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Still View Post
    Great build! It's a relatively amazing (and easy to follow) example of getting a car to track status.
    Thanks, guys! That is one of the reasons I started this in the first place - for people who are interested in doing something similar to have a guide of sorts. I know there are plenty of these threads, but its always fun to see how each person chooses to build their car.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyssen View Post
    S50B30US

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEAN View Post
    Gbree, you might want more than HT10's, just my thoughts. Good Luck! Nate.
    Yeah, I got the HT-10's because I drive it on the street (rarely). I didn't feel I could go anymore aggressive on the pad and still go cruise around in it. I will probably go another step up once these wear out though. These will certainly be better than my previous pads though! Any suggestions for next time?

Quote Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post
    Wow those look good... I'd want to set those on my desk at work for a while just to look at
    Yeah, they are just sitting on my kitchen counter as I eat breakfast

I hope to install them tonight, but I have a lot of work to do. I will post pictures of the install as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake260 View Post
    in the US, we didn't get the same awesome enignes the rest of the world got. no ITB's on ours.
    Its a shame that we didnt. The S50B32 is an awesome engine.
    Last edited by gbreeE90; 03-15-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast