Thread: 2002 325i...how does it handle in the snow?

My Cars
    1999 323i

2002 325i...how does it handle in the snow?

Live in the NYC metropolitan area and am thinking about buying one. I am a bit nervous about how it will handle in bad weather because it is rear wheel drive, correct?

My Cars
    Broken P.O.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by chelloveks View Post
    Live in the NYC metropolitan area and am thinking about buying one. I am a bit nervous about how it will handle in bad weather because it is rear wheel drive, correct?
    It's a BMW sooooooooooooo........ yeah. If you're so worried about it why not get an Xi model with AWD? Throw on some Blizzaks and you should be good to go.

My Cars
    1999 323i
    Getting a pretty good deal on this one...70,000 miles on it, a few things to fix but for $6,000 I may have to jump on it and get snow tires!

My Cars
    E36's
    I live in Queens, and honestly, how many times a year does it really snow here? This past winter we didn't really have any snow at all. Otherwise maybe 4-5 days a winter?

Either way, what is MUCH more important than your car(or FWD/RWD/AWD), is the type of tires that you have. All 4 wheels spinning all over the place is no more useful than 2 wheels spinning.

Get winter tires, and you really won't have a problem in any car around NYC. In the snow, I've driven a FWD Ford SUV on allseasons(low on tread, too) that worked fine, but had a habit of going straight ahead all the time, my 325i(LSD) with new allseasons that gripped perfect, even in a decent amount of snow, and also my E36 M3 with near-bald summer tires, which surprisingly actually moved through 2in of snow, though the rear slid all over the place.

There really isn't any point in spending the extra money on an AWD car, we aren't in Canada, it really just doesn't snow enough to warrant that extra cost and loss of reliability/MPG/performance. Instead, invest a few hundred bucks in some snow tires and you'll be fine.

Estoril Blue II / Coral Red F30 335i || DAILY

Cosmos / Black E36 M3 || Parted Out
    Hellrot E36 325i || Parted Out
    S13 240sx SR20DET || R.I.P.
    Technoviolet / Modena E36 M3 || SOLD

Avus Blue / Dove E36 M3 || R.I.P.
    Briliantrot E36 325i || SOLD

My Cars
    1999 323i
    Thanks for the advice....I grew up in Elmhurst