Thread: car pulls to the left when accelrating right when lifting off the throttle?

My Cars
    z4 35i dkg

Question car pulls to the left when accelrating right when lifting off the throttle?

while going above 45- 50 mph, and specially above 60 mph, the car kinda shifts over to the left when accelerating, and shifts right when lifting off the throttle. any ideas?
    2009 Z4 35i DKG
    VRSF DPS
    VRSF 7" FMIC
    MHD Flasher

2000m roadster R.I.P.
    2001 z3 3.0 R.I.P.
    2002 slk32 AMG sold

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Something's loose in the back end... Do you have toe adjustors? Jack up the back and try moving each wheel fore-aft when it's off the ground. The loose point will be easy to spot.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Roger that. This is still a fairly common symptom in old MGs and Healeys; the U-bolts holding the axle to the leaf-springs become looer as the rubber isolators deteriorate, and it creates rear wheel steering.

I find it hard to imagine that the suspension carrier (subframe) bushes could become so compliant to allow that much rear-steering, but I can't rule out the possibility either. Do you have aftermarket subframe bushes?

Any chance the differential is only being supported by the exhaust system...?

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Roger that. This is still a fairly common symptom in old MGs and Healeys; the U-bolts holding the axle to the leaf-springs become looer as the rubber isolators deteriorate, and it creates rear wheel steering.

I find it hard to imagine that the suspension carrier (subframe) bushes could become so compliant to allow that much rear-steering, but I can't rule out the possibility either. Do you have aftermarket subframe bushes?

Any chance the differential is only being supported by the exhaust system...?
    I heard if you rip out the spot welds and let the differential hang low, you get better cooling - is that true?

(p.s. I'm joking for those who fail at sarcasm.)

I would check subframe bushings and rear trailing arm bushings for excessive wear or play.

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    Check your tire pressures, a delta in pressure between the rears it will cause the behavior you're describing. I've also experienced it after having new tires installed, the shop put a 205-50-15 on one side and a 195-50-15 on the other. Fairly small delta in OD but it was very pronounced going down the road. Took some starring at to figure out too

My Cars
    z4 35i dkg
    i had the kmac adjustable camber kit but went back to stock rubber trailing arm bushings after a trailing arm bolt broke about 2 weeks ago... i have a h&R springs and bilstein shocks all around and front and rear H&R sway bars... subframe bushings are also original ...... also i didnt mention a big thing, the night before i noticed the movement a tuck backed into my car and hit just the hood but pushed the car back a bit...i know i should have mentioned that initially in the first post.
    Last edited by 2000m; 05-23-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    2009 Z4 35i DKG
    VRSF DPS
    VRSF 7" FMIC
    MHD Flasher

2000m roadster R.I.P.
    2001 z3 3.0 R.I.P.
    2002 slk32 AMG sold

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I heard if you rip out the spot welds and let the differential hang low, you get better cooling - is that true?

(p.s. I'm joking for those who fail at sarcasm.)

I would check subframe bushings and rear trailing arm bushings for excessive wear or play.
    Would they give you that effect? If so, what would be the mechanism? (I'm trying to picture the physics of it - I can understand the trailing arms causing such... not the RSFBs.)

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    Would they give you that effect? If so, what would be the mechanism? (I'm trying to picture the physics of it - I can understand the trailing arms causing such... not the RSFBs.)
    Yes, it could if you have one worn out one and one OK one. The whole subframe could twist and since all mounting points (except the upper shock mount) attach to the subframe, it surely could happen in an extreme situation. Even an 1/8" out of spec on toe or thrust angle with our antique rear suspension could cause a pulling feel.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Yes, it could if you have one worn out one and one OK one. The whole subframe could twist and since all mounting points (except the upper shock mount) attach to the subframe, it surely could happen in an extreme situation. Even an 1/8" out of spec on toe or thrust angle with our antique rear suspension could cause a pulling feel.
    Hadn't considered such - As always: many thanks.

My Cars
    BMW
    A truck backed into you? That's a pretty important point. I would have the entire car looked over by a professional.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by aga080 View Post
    A truck backed into you? That's a pretty important point. I would have the entire car looked over by a professional.
    Yep. I didn't read that either. I think something will be smacked out of spec.