Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M3 Gauge in to Non-M

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP

M3 Gauge in to Non-M

Hello guys let me start with people who says it doesnt work bla bla. It works this pic is taken from my friends 330ci e46. Only thing that doesnt work is RPM lights when cold. It stays at only 3 lights from the end. Everything else works exactly. From Speedo to Oil Temp. I did some reasearch about changing clusters and came up with replacing chip. Question is if i change the Milage chip from old cluster to this one will it work? I dont want tamper dot to be on my car.

Tamper dot is on:

Tha chip!
    ///M* Coming soon..

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Speedo is going to be calibrated for m tire sizes fwiw - it can be changed if you know what you're doing. How'd you get the oil temp gauge to work? other 330s usually just are pegged at 50°C

Don't swap the chip. If you put your old chip in there, the RPM lights will disappear, the gauges will be way off (speedo will think it only goes to 250 km/h; tacho to 7000rpm), and the oil temp gauge will act like an mpg gauge.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP
    Any suggestions about how to get rid of tamper dot? Milage correction?
    ///M* Coming soon..

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Thought tamper dots won't come on if programmed by dealerships...of course, assuming the mileage on the gauge is less that the current mileage on the car

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP
    Dealership will program only if you buy a brand new cluster from them. -.- Meh $500 for cluster.. -.-
    ///M* Coming soon..

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Meric View Post
    Dealership will program only if you buy a brand new cluster from them. -.- Meh $500 for cluster.. -.-
    try a different dealer?

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    Quote Originally Posted by KickTheCAN View Post
    Thought tamper dots won't come on if programmed by dealerships...of course, assuming the mileage on the gauge is less that the current mileage on the car
    This. And dealership won't do that for you. A friend of mine bought a ZHP cluster with 37k miles, he normally had 200k on his car and now he has a tamper dot. He says he just likes seeing himself driving a low mileage car, but I doubt it! He would try to sell it faking that it actually has low miles..

My Cars
    1999 BMW 320i
    Put a blank chip into the cluster and then you can code the cluster to your car with original BMW programing/diagnostic tools. Or you can try PASoft to code your used cluster to your car.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Does anyone know if the oil temp gauge would work if I was to put a M3 cluster in my 323ci? Or if it wont what is needed to get it to work?

My Cars
    [01/96] 328is 5 speed
    If you want to get rid of the tamper dot, you need to change the VIN on your LCM to the Cluster's VIN.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 330ci
    Too much of a hassle.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv View Post
    If you want to get rid of the tamper dot, you need to change the VIN on your LCM to the Cluster's VIN.
    I would think you just need to change the cluster's/IKE info to your car's VIN.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    This won't work since the DME and EWS also store the VIN (and the cluster checks those)

Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    I would think you just need to change the cluster's/IKE info to your car's VIN.
    Yes, but it can't be done through the OBDII port. The chip has to be removed and reprogrammed with an external programmer.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-20-2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i (E92)
    Quote Originally Posted by tool2510 View Post
    Too much of a hassle.
    Agreed.... I keep my eyes on the road for the most part
    My Previous Vehicle - In the Edmonton/Northern AB Area? We're having a meet... Click Here

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Lol stick an M badge on it and call it a day

My Cars
    [01/96] 328is 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    This won't work since the DME and EWS also store the VIN (and the cluster checks those)
    That's exactly what I did and it worked (Change VIN on LCM), it removed the Tamper Dot. I wasn't able to change the VIN on the Cluster itself, possibly because it was an 01 cluster onto an 04 (Preface to facelift?)

When I put my original cluster back on, the Tamper Dot came back on, reversed the LCM's VIN to the original and no more tamper dot.

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    That's exactly what I did and it worked (Change VIN on LCM), it removed the Tamper Dot. I wasn't able to change the VIN on the Cluster itself, possibly because it was an 01 cluster onto an 04 (Preface to facelift?)

When I put my original cluster back on, the Tamper Dot came back on, reversed the LCM's VIN to the original and no more tamper dot.
    Weird... You know that if you sell that car without letting the buyer know about what you have done, and if he finds out and decides to sue you, you are screwed since it's considered a federal offense.

My Cars
    [01/96] 328is 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWoW View Post
    Weird... You know that if you sell that car without letting the buyer know about what you have done, and if he finds out and decides to sue you, you are screwed since it's considered a federal offense.
    True, unless I were to change the mileage to the current actual mileage during the repair of the car. *Edit* And I also label on the Driver door sill that the cluster has been changed with mileage read before cluster change */Edit*

Regardless, I never drove on it, the cluster I was testing on was damaged/broken, I'm currently on the Original Cluster (And VINs).
    Last edited by Sylv; 05-20-2012 at 06:16 PM.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    You guys know if you swap a M3 cluster and don't mess with recoding crap, it will record mileage starting with whatever was on it with the tamper dot, but when you put your original back in, it will pick up the mileage difference and display it as if it were in the car the whole time ... wont have the tamper dot either.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Get BMW Scanner 1.4.0 to recode things in the car and line up mileage/get rid of tamper dot

2002 BMW M3
    IR on IR

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    Quote Originally Posted by croat View Post
    Get BMW Scanner 1.4.0 to recode things in the car and line up mileage/get rid of tamper dot
    Did you do this before?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by croat View Post
    Won't work with a cluster with the 35080 chip (basically anything 2001 and newer iirc)

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP
    I have 1.4 scanner. Whats should I do?

^Lol
    ///M* Coming soon..

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Meric View Post
    I have 1.4 scanner. Whats should I do?

^Lol
    As I mentioned above, BMWScanner 1.4 cannot change the VIN/mileage on newer clusters (which yours would qualify as since it has the 35080 chip). I've tried - it can write to every bit except for those that store the vin/mileage.

You can dump the EEPROM with BMWScanner though. Then "correct" it, and burn it onto a blank chip and solder that in there.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    How'd you get the oil temp gauge to work? other 330s usually just are pegged at 50°C
    Any info on this please? Also has anyone tried burning a m3 EEPROM file on to a non-m cluster? If not someone would give me an m eeprom file and ill try it on my spare cluster.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast