Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1995 BMW 540i 6 spd M Sport Black/Black Dinan Upgrades

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T

1995 BMW 540i 6 spd M Sport Black/Black Dinan Upgrades

Hey fellow E34 nutjobs! I've decided to put up my current daily driver for sale. If any of you are familiar with my modus operandi, same story here...I was nostalgic for my E34 M5T that I sold last year and could not stand not having an E34. So I found this one back in December and I dumped tons of money on the car to revive it and extend its life. Its almost done now, just needs a good paint job. But...as always...long story short, I greatly suffer from BMW A.D.D and really, really wanted a touring, so I picked up one and now I'm in the midst of building an E39 M5 Touring (using my 2001 E39 M5 as my parts bin).

I have the title in hand and the title is absolutely clear.

In case any of you are skeptical about anything I claim on this ad, Michael O. (AquilaBMW) can and will verify all my claims.

1995 540i M Sport w/ 6 speed manual transmission. Exterior paint is Cosmos Black w/ Black leather interior. This is an extremely rare model, only 200 examples were ever imported to the USA and this is one of a few dozen (guesstimate) surviving. It has 315,000 miles. This is an extremely reliable daily driver. I just drove the car up and down to San Francisco last month and I got 25 mpg consistently, 1 tankful only each way!!! I have no hesitation to drive this car cross country as it stands today. If the car has 315k miles today, its logical to conclude that it has been maintained and cared for most of its life, and for the last 6 months I've owned it I can verify its reliability. I purchased this car back in December of 2011 to use as my daily driver and in Jan/Feb of this year, I spent several thousand dollars to address any/all of the mechanical issues. The previous owner had the car sit in a shop for over 2 years because the EDC suspension had failed; I've replaced all suspension components with new parts. All the car needs now is a good paint job and it can go on for many years of reliable service.

Condition of the body & exterior paint is 6.5 out of 10.

All body panels are original with all matching VIN number stickers. The hood, roof and trunk lid has the typical clear coat peeling and could use a respray. The paint on all the side panels like the fenders, doors and quarter panels are in good condition. There are dents on the car from the previous owner, mostly concentrated on the right side headlamp area and the hood. I took close up pics. There are also some minor dings on the doors and the trunk lid from normal use and would be expected for a car that is 17 years old. There is some very, very light corrosion/rust on the car, mostly on the bottom door edges, there is NO RUST on the undercarriage of the body. The driver door latch is broken, the door still swings open but the latch has separated from the door so the door does not stay open. To be clear, the driver door can be opened and closed normally without any issues, it just doesn't stay open, you would have to hold it open while you get in and sit down. The pics show the front windshield surround trim is missing but I already purchased the new replacement trim and mounting clips. I've also installed new outside door handle trim and gaskets on all 4 doors with OEM parts. Also installed the Euro bumper trims that delete the side marker lights on the front & rear bumpers.

Condition of the interior is 8 out of 10.

Aside from the typical seat twisting on the front passenger seat, the rest of the interior is in very good condition. The front passenger set can still be moved forward and back, up and down with no issues. But the adjustment to move the seatback is off and causes the seatback to twist. The leather on all the seats and door panels is completely intact with no cuts, tears or stains. The dashboard has no cracks or warpage whatsoever. The door panels are still in very good shape and do not have the inserts coming off. The headliner is absolutely pristine with no sagging or stains. The rear parcel shelf is also very good but has the expected fading from the sun with a car this age. The sunvisors are very good and the sliding door for the mirrors work perfect and activates the vanity light.

Electronics is 9 out of 10:

All interior electronics of the car work perfect!!! However, the door lock actuators on both rear doors need some lubrication or replacement. Sometimes they unlock, sometimes they don't. All buttons, lights, switches work and illuminate when they should. The radio, A/C, climate controls, windows, windshield wiper controls all work perfect. The interior and glove box lights light up properly. There are no burnt pixels at all on the message board of the instrument cluster or the radio. I have the master key with the integrated remote for the alarm and the remote key is complete functional. All the speakers are working properly, none of them are blown and when you adjust the volume up or down, it doesn't have the static noise typical of blown speakers.

I have the original owner's manual set in its leather case.

Mechanical is 9 out of 10:

The car fires right up every time and the idle is absolutely stable. The engine is very healthy and runs very strong. The valve cover gaskets and drivebelts were replaced. The transmission and clutch are fine, there is no grinding or looseness. There is no gear whine present at all. There is no steering wheel shimmy around 40-50 mph as ALL the suspension components on the front end has been replaced with new parts. The car feels very tight and during high speed driving 80-90 mph, the car stays planted and solid. The water temp gauge needle is solid at halfway and never passes even in hot L.A. weather and traffic. Original cats were replaced with lower mileage cats (85k miles) from a 2000 740i, stock resonator was completely rusted so it was removed an replaced with a custom modular exhaust system. T-304 Stainless steel straight pipes w/ V Band clamps post cats and 3" band clamps just before the Dinan free flow muffler.

When I replaced the sparkplugs, the old ones showed no type of pre-ignition, misfire or detonation. Just the normal and standard wear.

Glass is 9 out of 10:

There is a small crack on the windshield about the size of a quarter. I had Safeflight fill the crack with the epoxy repair and is guaranteed not to worsen over time. All the rest of the glass is perfect with no cracks or damage. I had all the windows tinted with 32% all around including the front windows, it looks great. From the outside, the tint is very light. I've found myself next to local police cars and CHP and they never pulled me over for the window tint.

Wheels: 10 out of 10:

The car has the original 17" M System Throwing Star wheels, including a matching 5th spare wheel. I had the wheels refinished by Wheels America in Buena Park, CA because the T-Star covers were scratched up and the rims has curb rash. The wheels now are 100% mint with the lips machined finished, centers painted the original black finish and then complete clear coated. The T-Star covers were sanded down and refinished in its original BMW silver paint and I attached new OEM BMW center cap roundels.

Upgrades & modifications:

Dinan Front Swaybar
    Dinan Rear Swaybar
    Dinan Free Flow exhaust w/ resonator delete
    Dinan Black carpeted floormats
    EDC/SLS delete (installed the following):
    Brand New Bilstein Sport front strut inserts/rear sport shocks
    Powdercoated front/rear OEM M Sport springs and re-installed them
    13% window tint all around - transferable lifetime warranty

Maintenance items:

Brand new Autozone Battery w/ 7 years warranty

Complete front end suspension arms & linkages replaced w/ new parts
    Complete steering tie rods & drag link replaced w/ new parts
    Subframe crossmember, front swaybar mount/clamps, steering knuckle cold acid dipped and powdercoated.

Redline 5W40 Full Synthetic engine oil
    Redline S1 Fuel Injection cleaner used for 200 gallons
    Redline Manual Transmission Fluid change
    Redline Gear Oil for LSD

A/C system has been checked for leaks and fully recharged - blows icy cold!
    Complete cooling system flush & replaced w/ OEM BMW blue coolant
    Manual transmission flushed with new Redline MTL
    LSD Differential flushed with new Redline Gear oil
    New Fan clutch
    New drivebelts (AC compressor, alternator, power steering)
    New Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs
    New Valve cover gaskets
    New K&N air filter
    New OEM Door handle surround trim & gasket
    New OEM Windshield wiper blades

Lower mileage OEM BMW catalytic converters installed (passes smog 100% guaranteed)

I have many brand new extra parts that will go with the sale of the vehicle, the value of which is at least over $500.

Selling price: $5,500 obo.

I've loaded tons of pics on my flickr account. See link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5589177...7629775920586/

I will also load a few pics on this thread for quick viewing.

The car is located in Anaheim, CA 92802 and you are welcome to inspect the car.
    Call or text me if you have any questions and/or if you like to come see the car.

Jed
    714-273-9005
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 05-18-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Uploaded pics

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Awww Jed!!!! NO! NO! NO! You are selling one of my favourite cars in your stable mate! NO! Don't do it! You will regret it again brother!

I have seen this car, I have ridden in this car and I have seen the car about twice in San Francisco now. It is truly a diamond in the rough. And I say diamond, it is one of those rare things that you come across now and then.

It is not a beauty queen, but it is most definitely not a garage queen either. I already expressed to Jed that the PO must have cherished this car - not just because it made it beyond 300K, but when you look inside the car, you can tell it was well looked after.

Anyone who knows Jed knows he is fanatical about his cars - I can verify the upgrades as the man seems to live a secret life at DINAN. I kid you not!

By the way, the DINAN floor mats are brand spanking new!

Personally, I am sad to see Jed selling this car, but who am I to talk as I have a severe case of B.A.A.D.D myself - BMW Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder!

Sorry for the long endorsement of the seller, but I do trust him explicitly and would back him up on anything he says.

GLWS.... Still going to smack you up this weekend for selling it!

My Cars
    1991 M5, 2006 Spec B
    Too bad you're on the wrong coast. I'd love to pick up one of these for my dad - I let him borrow the M5 for a couple of days and he's been looking to get an e34 of his own.

My Cars
    '94 530iA, '93 525itA
    I can't believe you sold the M5T, your ADD must be effin BAD.
    Give Blood, Play Hockey

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Awww Jed!!!! NO! NO! NO! You are selling one of my favourite cars in your stable mate! NO! Don't do it! You will regret it again brother!

I have seen this car, I have ridden in this car and I have seen the car about twice in San Francisco now. It is truly a diamond in the rough. And I say diamond, it is one of those rare things that you come across now and then.

It is not a beauty queen, but it is most definitely not a garage queen either. I already expressed to Jed that the PO must have cherished this car - not just because it made it beyond 300K, but when you look inside the car, you can tell it was well looked after.

Anyone who knows Jed knows he is fanatical about his cars - I can verify the upgrades as the man seems to live a secret life at DINAN. I kid you not!

By the way, the DINAN floor mats are brand spanking new!

Personally, I am sad to see Jed selling this car, but who am I to talk as I have a severe case of B.A.A.D.D myself - BMW Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder!

Sorry for the long endorsement of the seller, but I do trust him explicitly and would back him up on anything he says.

GLWS.... Still going to smack you up this weekend for selling it!

Thank you Michael!!!

Kind words from a fellow nutjob!!! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by a400lbape View Post
    Too bad you're on the wrong coast. I'd love to pick up one of these for my dad - I let him borrow the M5 for a couple of days and he's been looking to get an e34 of his own.
    For the right price, I would be willing to personally deliver the car to you. A car this rare though ought be to enjoyed right off the bat by the new owner with a nice long road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by mi530i View Post
    I can't believe you sold the M5T, your ADD must be effin BAD.

Its BAD!!!
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 05-17-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Interior pics...

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    misc pics...
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 05-17-2012 at 10:10 PM.

My Cars
    '92 525i '88 325IS

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    ...did you replace the failed EDC with new EDC components or did you remove the EDC suspension and go with a conventional setup?

Gone but not forgotten:
    '95 540i/6 M-Sport. GA65474. Alpineweiss/Parchment.
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
    ...did you replace the failed EDC with new EDC components or did you remove the EDC suspension and go with a conventional setup?

I removed all the EDC components (shocks, accumulators, lines, trigger rod on swaybar and fluid flow controller) that is under the car and replaced it with a conventional set up. I installed couplers to loop back the hydraulic fluid back to the pump. I did not remove the EDC module under the back seat and there is no error message on the cluster. In essence, if someone wanted to re-install the EDC system, they can.

My Cars
    95 Dinan 540i/6
    Nice car and great price

My Cars
    E34 540i/6
    Over 300k miles! Wow!

Good luck with that!

Ace

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Finally scored some real Dinan lowering springs for the car. Will be putting them on next weekend.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 525i Touring
    Great looking car. I'd be happy just getting the wheels off of it.

GLWS man.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Bump, motivated seller.

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    Would you be interested in selling the throwing star wheels separately?

Gone but not forgotten:
    '95 540i/6 M-Sport. GA65474. Alpineweiss/Parchment.
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
    Would you be interested in selling the throwing star wheels separately?

I prefer to keep the the T Star wheels with the car. Although I do have a set of the sickest, lightest, rarest wheels for the E34 - 18" Stepped Lips 3 pc. Dinan Fikse wheels I'm rockin' on the car now just for fun.
    Last edited by M5 Jed; 06-17-2012 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    OMG those Fikse wheels are amazing
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    95 540i/6 M, 87 535is
    Omg Jed, How much for the wheels? Must have them on my M sport!
    1995 BMW 540i/6 M sport, Cosmos Metallic
    Black

Dinan ECU/Trumpet,B&B Exhaust,3.15lsd,Koni sports and H&R springs,UUC SSK, AKG poly RTAB, Powerflex SF bushings,
    RevShift Motor Mounts, M5 Executive interior, Turner Spacers 15mm

My Cars
    1995 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Over 300k miles! Wow!

Good luck with that!

Ace
    oh wow i just noticed that from the interior pics too, ouchhh

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Price bump $5000

My Cars
    a bunch
    the exterior of this car really bums me out. hope who ever picks this up is willing to put effort into it; it could be great. glws

My Cars
    95 Dinan 540i/6
    would you be selling the Dinan wheels and if so, how much?

My Cars
    '99 BMW e36 323is
    Would you consider selling the front lip??, and if so how much?

My Cars
    1997 328/4/5
    I have cash in hand but theres a few things

a) I dont need the wheels and will bring my own

b) KBB pricing is a bit different from yours, so if youd be willing to negotiate, Id be interested

Excellent
    $4,512
    Very Good
    $4,237
    Good
    $4,087
    Verify Condition
    Fair
    $3,412

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast