Thread: Definitive years of sticky steering?

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe

Definitive years of sticky steering?

I've searched, and read plenty on the sticky steering issue, as I know its been beat to death. However, what is a definite year that the issue was fixed? I read that people "think" it was fixed in 2006.

Does anyone know for sure if 2006 and later models are free from this issue?

My wife is kicking around the idea of wanting a Z4 Coupe, so starting to do my research...Thanks all!

Ben

My Cars
    '04 Z4 3.0i
    Best guess is that it was fixed in early 2006. If you want to be sure look for a later build date 2006 or newer.

My Cars
    05 Z4 3.0, 08 CLS 550
    My '05 had it, and it was fixed under warranty. All good now..

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Answer (from the NHTSA Investigation)

Thank-you so much to those on this board who have bitched & moaned for years about the sticky steering on certain models (Z-4) we finally have a definitive answer as to the cause and the remedy. Luckily my 2006 Z-4 with a production date of 6/1 is still under CPO. Guess what? as soon as possible I will be at the dealership with the NHTSA information in hand. Now when I go in I will describe the problem as a defective "WORM GEAR" in the steering column. It's of special interest to note that on July 5th 2006 BMW implemented two production changes 1. a new machining process that produces a smoother surface of the worm gear & 2. a new lubrication for the worm gear. BMW also made a change in mid June 2005, but that did not "fix" the entire problem.

What is highly irratating is that BMW has known about this defect for years but provided no information about it until forced by the ODI investigation.

I will followup on this post with how successful I am w/ the dealership - but anything less then a new steering column will be unacceptable.

The above was posted about 2 years ago, BMW did replace the entire steering column under warranty. Initially this was hard to pin down as the problem only occured when the interior became warm. Finally I got the vehicle in on a hot day & I had the information about the poorly machined "WORM GEAR" Then I found out BMW knew about this all along, but only did the replacement when the customer complained. Unfortunately there are still alot of Z's that are now out of warranty & CPO and either have to fix this out of pocket or just live with it.

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    This is the exact kind of info I was looking for. Thanks all!

My Cars
    Z4 2.5
    Hi all, I'm Seby, i'm writing from italy. Sorry for my english.
    I bought an used z4 and suddenly realized there was something wrong with steering. After the diagnosis, i carefully reading this thread and i did the mod.

I injected:

- 1 cc/ml of SVITOL a fine lube, meant to remove any dirty or residual grease
    - 4 cc/ml of high quality PTFE based grease from Arexon brand, meant to be compatible with plastic gears.

THE GOOD: The snatchy and sticky feeling totally disappeared. Now the micro corrections of steering are fluid like they should be.
    THE BAD: the steering wheel appears to be somewhat heavier.
    Nothing dramatic (somewhat like it was before with sport button activated - to understand) but enough less confortable.
    I will test the feeling after the mod over time.

Is there something i could inject to reduce the viscosity/friction of the grease?

Someone could explain if compartment of the " worm gear " is separated from the compartment where the torque sensor is located?

How much lube the compartment will accept?

My Cars
    2003 bmw z4
    I recently purchased a 2003 Z4 with 26,000 miles.Do all of the 2003 Z4's have this steering problem? Will BMW change the Steering column under a recall? Will my steering lock up while driving?Any help is greatly appreciated.
    ThankvYou

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi1 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2003 Z4 with 26,000 miles.Do all of the 2003 Z4's have this steering problem? Will BMW change the Steering column under a recall? Will my steering lock up while driving?Any help is greatly appreciated. ThankvYou
    In response to your questions, in order asked... Unknown, no, no reports of this occurring that I'm aware of...

From the NHTSA action report...

Summary:
    ODI has evaluated the sticky steering condition, which included reviews of complaints and warranty claims, interviews and surveys of owners of complaint vehicles, road tests of complaint vehicles, and a review of BMW's engineering and test data. ODI found the sticky steering condition does not result in a significant steering effort, thus the impact on the driver's ability to control the vehicle does not appear to be significant. A safety-related defect trend has not been identified at this time and further use of agency resources does not appear to be warranted. Accordingly, this investigation is closed. The closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that no safety-related defect exists. The agency will monitor the issue and reserves the right to take future action if warranted by the circumstances. See the attached report for additional information. In addition, during this investigation, ODI became aware of allegations of failure or loss of electric power-assisted steering on the subject vehicles. As a result, ODI is separately reviewing this issue to determine whether additional agency action is needed.
    Last edited by Pyewacket69; 10-26-2015 at 10:22 PM.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    The person from Italy's 2.5 is the first I recall reading out the sticky steering happening on a 2.5. I thought the rest I've read (though I haven't read them all) seemed to concern the 3.0 for some reason.

It is certainly not all, not even a majority.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4,
    My 2.5 had it as well montaillou.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    My '03 2.5 still has it 32k miles and must live with it or just poop (pay out of pocket). No dealer support whatsoever on this long standing mfg. defect. This will be my last BMW purchase. How do you say deplorable in German...Bedauerlich!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by bodog View Post
    My '03 2.5 still has it 32k miles and must live with it or just poop (pay out of pocket). No dealer support whatsoever on this long standing mfg. defect. This will be my last BMW purchase. How do you say deplorable in German...Bedauerlich!
    In the Z3 world we have to live with the rear subframe detaching from the trunk floor - essentially killing the car.. and it seemed to be a point of pride on bimmer's part to never mention such was a problem, or deny it was such.... likewise on the S54 motors, the rod bearings going away: again, same approach: denial.... very much changes one's impression of the mfg; also changes the relationship with the car, ie, if you buy it, you need to be prepared to take care of everything yourself. My impression is that the 540i and 740i owners: when the engines failed, it was their very expensive issue to deal with... but bigger picture: I suspect this has a lot to do with the undue rate of depreciation of the cars.