Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Replace your fuel tank straps

My Cars
    BMW 535i/1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    The foam pieces go on top of the tank. The straps have rubber on them to keep the metal of the strap from gradually sawing through the tank, the rubber pads go between the top of the tank and the body to basically do the same thing.
    So what you are telling me is that the replacement BMW straps have the runner on them already? Is that correct?

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post
    So what you are telling me is that the replacement BMW straps have the runner on them already? Is that correct?
    I don't recall saying any such thing. I haven't had to order rubbers, I've only replaced the metal band part of the strap. My post was meant to comment on the function of the rubber part of the strap being the same function as the rubber pads on the top of the tank.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    BMW 535i/1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    Anyone know which of the 3 part numbers listed in the diagram I need for these straps? Thanks.

My Cars
    Suck
    The funniest part? You're stressing the hardest over the dumbest thing. The difference between the two is 70mm. They're the same price. Order the long one and trim it to the length you need.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Reviving an old PSA here... While chasing down a fuel tank leak (boo!!!), I loosened up a tank strap, and while snugging it back up it snapped (double boo!!!) The offending strap is on the driver side. The passenger side strap looks pretty new (as does my donor car passenger side strap).

My question is: what the heck happened to the price of these straps? Based on searching old posts it looks like a few years ago these straps could be had for about $20. A quick search for PN: 16111179160 shows prices in the $80-120 range... pricey, and with no aftermarket alternatives. Triple BOO!!!
    Rick
    <><

1993 325is - The New Daily?
    1998 323is - The Daily Beater
    1995 530i - The Alternate Beater
    1995 540i/6 Touring - Lord Borthwick
    1995 540i - The Donor & Parts Locker - Finally sent to the Crusher - RIP

My Cars
    E34, E30, 240sx
    yeah, i posted about this couple weeks ago. It is crazy how people bought them for around $30 few years ago and now each costs $ 80-120 as you have mentioned. I looked around but couldn't find anything. I guess you can buy a strip of metal and bend it yourself. I didnt have the ability to do that nor the time so I had to buy a replacement (just one). Now I need to go ahead and get the other one since it is fairly rusted and bent.

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Quote Originally Posted by struka View Post
    yeah, i posted about this couple weeks ago. It is crazy how people bought them for around $30 few years ago and now each costs $ 80-120 as you have mentioned. I looked around but couldn't find anything. I guess you can buy a strip of metal and bend it yourself. I didnt have the ability to do that nor the time so I had to buy a replacement (just one). Now I need to go ahead and get the other one since it is fairly rusted and bent.
    I'm surprised no aftermarket has picked them up; they are not very complex. Like you, I guess I'll have to press the "I believe button" and get one on order. Thank you for the response.
    Rick
    <><

My Cars
    E34, E30, 240sx
    Yea, I am ordering the other side today too. I went ahead and got new bolts with it as well.

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    $85 later, I received and installed the new driver side tank strap. I reused the rubber piece that attaches to it, but first a coated the side that is against the strap with black roofing silicone to prevent moisture from getting under there ever again. In this pic you can see I have also removed the passenger side strap to prep it for re-installation and to address the leak (passenger side front seam; upper left seam in pic).

Here is a close up of the where the leak was coming from. As you can see it is on the seam. There is a plastic "edge protector" that mounts in that location; it looks like that edge protector held in moisture and rubbed those spots in the seam. Also, FWIW, on the bracket above the tank you can see the rectangular hole where the tank strap hooks in and the two studs where a heat shield mounts.

I cleaned, wire brushed, and sanded the spot, used some JBWeld, then sanded again and painted the area. I will take a few pics tonight when I reassemble.
    Rick
    <><

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Got any pics of the the new strap? They can't be hard to fabricate, even with just a pair of pliers and some patience. I replaced one before and remember thinking that there is really nothing to these straps and that they were overpriced at $30. I need to do one on my sedan and would like to take a stab at making my own.

--EDIT--
    Maybe I should finish my coffee and fire up the Google before asking for pics:
    Last edited by Sir Montalbon; 04-25-2016 at 08:53 AM.

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    Got any pics of the the new strap? They can't be hard to fabricate, even with just a pair of pliers and some patience. I replaced one before and remember thinking that there is really nothing to these straps and that they were overpriced at $30. I need to do one on my sedan and would like to take a stab at making my own.
    --EDIT--
    Maybe I should finish my coffee and fire up the Google before asking for pics:
    I contemplated fabricating one as well, but instead decided to throw money at it...
    Rick
    <><

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    I'll probably throw money at it when it comes time for the touring. Right now, this DD sedan I've been working on has been a bit of a practice/experiment/letseewhatwecangetawaywith kind of thing for future work on the touring. When I get to working on it, I'll update this thread with my attempt at making a strap, good or bad.

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    I'll probably throw money at it when it comes time for the touring. Right now, this DD sedan I've been working on has been a bit of a practice/experiment/letseewhatwecangetawaywith kind of thing for future work on the touring. When I get to working on it, I'll update this thread with my attempt at making a strap, good or bad.
    Funny; my 530 sedan has been the same thing to me. I have learned so much working on that pig... Anyway here is my patch job. It's not so pretty but it looks like it may actually hold up well:

In the center of this picture is the plastic edge protector I alluded to in a previous post:

Here is the edge protector in place:
    Rick
    <><

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerick View Post
    I contemplated fabricating one as well, but instead decided to throw money at it...
    I hate throwing money at my cars.

So how much does a full tank weigh? About a 100 pounds?
    demet

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    So how much does a full tank weigh?
    What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Rick
    <><

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    LOL, I didn't realize the two were related.

Let's see, a gallon of gas weighs in at about 6.3 lbs. Tank holds about 17 gals so it comes out to 107 lbs. I guess each strap needs to support about 60 lbs. Easy peasy to fab.
    demet

My Cars
    1994 e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    LOL, I didn't realize the two were related.

Let's see, a gallon of gas weighs in at about 6.3 lbs. Tank holds about 17 gals so it comes out to 107 lbs. I guess each strap needs to support about 60 lbs. Easy peasy to fab.
    Does anyone know where to buy the e34 fuel tank straps? One of mine failed after I filled the tank up last weekend. It seems that the straps used to only cost about $10 but now the only ones I can find online are over $100! That seems steep for a couple strips of sheet metal.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    I got mine for around 15-20 each a couple years ago, but it seems to be a classic case of supply and demand. Gotta pay to play these days. Its an OEM only piece, and mark up tends to be similar at most online retailers, so i doubt there is a far cheaper option that the prices youve seen.
    -Alex

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    Anyone have a clear pick of them?

Why can't we just get a simple metal strap and get it on
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    1994 e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    I got mine for around 15-20 each a couple years ago, but it seems to be a classic case of supply and demand. Gotta pay to play these days. Its an OEM only piece, and mark up tends to be similar at most online retailers, so i doubt there is a far cheaper option that the prices youve seen.
    I ended up finding one for $50 that someone had laying around and never used so basically new and in box.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    They can certainly be fabbed. Its the "hook" end nearest the diff that would be the most difficult to replicate, but if youre fancy with a welder, i cant see why one wouldnt be able to reuse that end, or both ends, and just replace the "middle" of it.

Found a brand new pair of them in the trunk of an e34 at the junkyard a year and change ago. Told the guy exactly what they were and he took 10 bucks for them. Gave them to a friend of mine.
    Last edited by AHenry014; 10-19-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    -Alex

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    Measure them and search for universal straps. I don't know the measurements but a quick search yielded some 42 inch long ones in mild steel or stainless for about $15 each.

My Cars
    1994 e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by m735is View Post
    Measure them and search for universal straps. I don't know the measurements but a quick search yielded some 42 inch long ones in mild steel or stainless for about $15 each.
    I ordered a new fuel tank strap for the driver side of my car, as mine broke last weekend. It should get delivered on Saturday. If anyone would like me to take more detailed photos of the part or mesurements before I install it then let me know. It seems like a very simple part.

My Cars
    1994 525i touring
    Yes, please do!

My Cars
    1994 e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodsy View Post
    Yes, please do!
    I got the new part today for the driver's side strap for the fuel tank.

Here are some up close photos:

Hope the photos are helpful. Now I need to try to find the strap for the passenger side of the tank as well. It was just the driver's side strap that broke, but I am assuming the other one is in rough shape too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast