Thread: Headlight Adjusters - gear teeth

My Cars
    1996 840Ci / 2007 B7

Headlight Adjusters - gear teeth

I'm getting ready to machine a few of these so that I can finally put my headlights back together. I'm going to add a set screw and some loctite in there to keep the damn things from falling off - stupid press fit splines are a stupid idea in a vibratory environment.

I can machine these pretty easily *without* the gear teeth. Does anyone know what they are there for? It looks like the teeth are exposed at some point in the housing... perhaps there's a BMW specific tool to mesh with and turn the adjusters? (although I would think it would be easier to just turn the hex head on the back...)

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    the teeth are to mesh with a screwdriver to rotate the adjuster from a 90 degree angle.

I'd look into making a complete adjuster, not just the wheels - if you want to be really popular

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Phillips head screwdriver "catches" each of the teeth, making them turn in or out.
    The adjuster wheels that were once offered by BMW had a setscrew in the hexagonal part.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1996 840Ci / 2007 B7
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    the teeth are to mesh with a screwdriver to rotate the adjuster from a 90 degree angle.

I'd look into making a complete adjuster, not just the wheels - if you want to be really popular
    What is the point of adjusting from a 90 degree angle? (in other words - I can make the things much faster and cheaper without the teeth, but if there's a compelling reason, I can try to add them)

I'm looking into turning a couple of sets of the bases as well... I think if I were doing a full kit, I'd want to change around how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Phillips head screwdriver "catches" each of the teeth, making them turn in or out.
    The adjuster wheels that were once offered by BMW had a setscrew in the hexagonal part.
    Thanks - didn't know about the set screw. It's the easiest short term fix, that I could think of, without re-designing the whole system.
    Last edited by Spandrel; 05-09-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Spandrel View Post
    What is the point of adjusting from a 90 degree angle? (in other words - I can make the things much faster and cheaper without the teeth, but if there's a compelling reason, I can try to add them)...
    Because you cannot "easily" access those adjusters from the rear. The headlight bucket actually has a hole above where the "teeth" part of the wheel is located. Insert large Phillips screwdriver, and turn in the appropriate direction - simple.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    1996 840Ci / 2007 B7
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White
    Because you cannot "easily" access those adjusters from the rear. The headlight bucket actually has a hole above where the "teeth" part of the wheel is located. Insert large Phillips screwdriver, and turn in the appropriate direction - simple.
    ...so the teeth are only on the 'bottom' adjuster wheel? (working from a sample size of one here, so pardon the ignorance, please)

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    LOL, great minds think alike. I have some at the machine shop now, making them out of 10mm SS hex stock. They'll eventually be part of a complete hardware replacement package, but also available separately.
    How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    ...so the teeth are only on the 'bottom' adjuster wheel? (working from a sample size of one here, so pardon the ignorance, please)
    All adjuster wheels have the teeth...

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    1996 850ci
    I was able to drill and tap my existing ones and use an allen head set screw. No problems for 3 years so far.

Oxford Green Metallic, Parchment leather, 854 badge, EDC stock struts, M-Sport springs, 3.91 LSD, CSI rear sway, 18" M-Pars, M-Sport wheel w/flappy paddles, CD-43 head unit, Strong Strut brace, Euro FTPs, CSI rear defuser
    Previous -
    '70 2002
    '92 525it e34 - Touring
    '97 530i e39
    '06 325xi e91 - Touring

My Cars
    1996 840Ci / 2007 B7
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White

All adjuster wheels have the teeth...
    Got it. I'm going to look for an appropriate end mill for the CNC, and see if I can get the teeth cut as well.

Is there any interest from anyone else, if I get more made than I will use? (assuming they work)

Quote Originally Posted by smc850ci
    I was able to drill and tap my existing ones and use an allen head set screw. No problems for 3 years so far.
    Good to know it will work
    Last edited by Spandrel; 05-10-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 850Ci
    Got it. I'm going to look for an appropriate end mill for the CNC, and see if I can get the teeth cut as well.

Is there any interest from anyone else, if I get more made than I will use? (assuming they work)

Good to know it will work
    Depending on price, yes. I have 1 that I could drill/tap, but the other is missing. I'd be interested in a pair for sure.
    I'm not saying you're stupid, I'm saying you have bad luck at thinking.

'05 Saab 9-3 Aero; '80 Bradley GTE, 96V electric; '64 Falcon 'vert;
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 '96 K2500 Suburban; '88 Suzuki Intruder 1400

My Cars
    01 X5, 97 840CI
    TXGR8white
    Could you post a pix of where the adjustment hole is.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1997 850Ci
    Any update on available adjusters??
    I'm not saying you're stupid, I'm saying you have bad luck at thinking.

'05 Saab 9-3 Aero; '80 Bradley GTE, 96V electric; '64 Falcon 'vert;
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 '96 K2500 Suburban; '88 Suzuki Intruder 1400

My Cars
    1996 840Ci / 2007 B7
    Quote Originally Posted by 02540ico View Post
    Any update on available adjusters??
    We've done a couple of test pieces in Delrin - I think we're ready to try aluminum and see how it works. I'll ping my guy and see if I can help him out this weekend.