Thread: Please help if you can code P165F

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328 xi

Please help if you can code P165F

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and know alot about cars but this one is beyoned me. My 2007 328 xi only 40k miles is getting a code P165F and on the bmw scan tool 2CA6. I know that the 2ca6 is o2 sensor so i replaced both sensors and still the same problem. The car runs and drives like allways and I'm not using any more gas or any less gas then ussual. I'm trying to sell the car and the engine light is a problem for the new buyer. Now I brought the car to a shop and they told me the P165F is a DME issue and need to replace the DME $1500 plus programming. Now my question is anyone had something simular going on and what sense does that makes everything works and car runs like a charm but the DME needs to be replaced. It doesn't make sence to me at all. If you have any suggjetions what else I could do or maybe even get somehow a used dme with everything that goes with it to get the key working. I don't think you can use a used DME but i'm sure there are people on this forum that know more about BMW then what I allready know. Thanks guys for your time and sorry for the spelling

My Cars
    07 328i
    i have same issue i was told o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 replace it and light is still on and same code

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Quote Originally Posted by PHILE92 View Post
    i have same issue i was told o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 replace it and light is still on and same code
    Them you didn't fix the problem.
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    Them you didn't fix the problem.
    Searched the forum and couldn't find anyone post the fix to 2CA6. Wonder what's the outcome to their car.

My car is 2009 328i. Got the same 2CA6 code. Changed the O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1. Code still remains.

Bently manual says to change DME for code 2CA6. Would like to confirm this is the case before going this direction

Opened DME to probe O2 heater contact and saw PWM waveform.

Installed INPA but do not understand German (5.0 English does not work with my MSV80.1, but 5.0.2 is in German). If you have suggestions, I can post screen shot or video.

Despite the code, car runs fine. But smog check is approaching.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Could be dme software, Might need an update

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Before throwing anymore parts or additional costs,
    check the o2 heater circuit fuse.