Thread: BMW Introduces BMW M Performance Parts for the 3 and 5 Series Sedans.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Post BMW Introduces BMW M Performance Parts for the 3 and 5 Series Sedans.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – May 4, 2012… BMW today announced new BMW M Performance Parts specially designed for the new 2012 BWW 3 Series Sedan and 2011-2012 5 Series Sedan. Like the BMW M Performance Parts already available for the high-performance M3, 1 Series M Coupe, X5 M and X6 M, the components developed for
    3 Series and 5 Series models ensure an authentic transfer of BMW M-specific motor racing technology to everyday driving.

This new line of accessories provides a distinctive, sporty character to further enhance driving dynamics. BMW M Performance Parts are the result of years of racing expertise and have been developed in close collaboration with BMW M GmbH. Each component goes through an intensive development and manufacturing process which results in uncompromised performance. Exclusive chassis, aerodynamic, cockpit and powertrain components are now available for the 3 Series and 5 Series Sedans.

Chassis: A tangible increase in dynamic performance.

A new 20” forged alloy wheel set (style # 405M) is offered by BMW M Performance for the new for 2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan (F30). These wheels are produced using a special forging process that reduces weight by 1 kg (2.4 lbs.) per wheel when compared to a similar size wheel. This reduction in unsprung mass helps improve steering response and handling characteristics.

A similar 20” BMW M Performance wheel set is also available for the 5 Series. Both wheel sets showcase an exclusive bi-color design (High-gloss turned finish on the front side and Ferric grey paint between the spokes) style featuring the BMW M logo. These wheel/tire combinations are the largest size approved by BMW.

To accent the 20” wheels and to improve braking performance, a Brembo big-brake kit with painted calipers is now available. The upgrade consists of 4-piston aluminum fixed calipers on the front axle and a 2-piston aluminum fixed calipers on the rear axle. Improved thermal resistance is provided by the larger, internally-vented, lightweight-construction sports brake discs measuring 370 x 30 mm (diameter x thickness) on the front axle and 345 x 24 mm on the rear axle. These cross-drilled and grooved brake discs also reduce water film build-up between the brake lining and the disc surface during wet driving conditions. Painted caliper colors include M Performance Red, Yellow or Orange, any of which contrast nicely with the 20 inch wheels.

Aerodynamics: Optimized aerodynamic properties, expressive design.

High-gloss black kidney grilles are available to create a sporty, menacing character for the 3 Series and 5 Series Sedan. Drivers of the 3 Series can personalize the exterior of their vehicle even further with BMW M Performance Sport stripes. These stripes are printed on high-quality PVC film and are available in black or white.

BMW M Performance carbon fiber mirror caps are also available. These mirror caps are handmade with minute attention to detail and are clear-coated to protect them from harmful UV rays. To complement the carbon fiber mirror caps, a carbon fiber rear deck lid spoiler is available for the 5 Series to provide improved vehicle stability and driving dynamics.

Cockpit: High-quality materials, innovative technology, Motorsport design.
    For the interior, BMW Performance has concentrated on the driver-machine interface, by creating a new Motorsport-derived steering wheel for the 3 Series Sedan. This direct replacement for the standard steering wheel features a thick, racing-style, flattened lower rim and is fully covered in hand-stitched Alcantara. A red stripe is located at the 12 o’clock position to provide a quick visual indicator of steering wheel position.

BMW M Performance has made available a seven piece carbon fiber and Alcantara interior trim set inspired by the world of Motorsport. The carbon fiber trim pieces are manufactured with a unique “open-pore” finish. This new technology offers the driver direct contact with high-tech carbon fiber materials. In contrast to the high gloss version, the carbon fiber in this instance is sealed with a special silk matt protective lacquer which allows for the structure and texture of the carbon fiber to remain tactile. The Alcantara trim on the dashboard is branded with the M Performance trademark to accentuate the sportiness of the interior.

A BMW M Performance carbon fiber gear shift knob and selector lever is available for vehicles with manual or automatic transmissions. The same open-pore technology used in the interior trim kit can be found on these products as well. The gear shift knob also has an integrated shift boot made of Alcantara.

Exhaust System: Exciting and sporty sound generates a genuine racing feel.
    Using state-of-the-art CAD and FEM technology, a stainless steel exhaust system has been developed for the 335i and 535i Sedan (available from June 2012). This new exhaust enhances the sound quality and volume of the hallmark BMW TwinPower Turbo Inline 6-cylinder engine. A unique, high-tech look is provided by two chrome-plated 80 mm exhaust tips which are laser-engraved with the BMW M logo. Exhaust backpressure is reduced and a sporty powerful tone is heard with the BMW M Performance Exhaust System (without the droning noise typically associated with some aftermarket exhaust systems).

Warranty:

All products installed on or in the vehicle carry a BMW 4 year/ 50,000 mile warranty on the items if installed prior to delivery of the new vehicle. If the BMW M Performance Parts are installed after the delivery of the vehicle the warranty will be for the balance of the new vehicle limited warranty or two years from the date of installation, whichever is greater.

More...

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I like that they are getting back to the ability to customize many options on the vehicles. In recent years, there was so much that was jsut a package, and couldn't necessarily customize the features to ones exact preference and taste.

My Cars
    1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    I like that they are getting back to the ability to customize many options on the vehicles. In recent years, there was so much that was jsut a package, and couldn't necessarily customize the features to ones exact preference and taste.
    agreed