Thread: Front End Vibration after LCA and bushing replacement

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325 Ci

Question Front End Vibration after LCA and bushing replacement

I just replaced my worn LCAs and Bushings. Meyle control arms and Powerflex bushings. The car feels much better, but at high way speeds, 70-75mph, there is a constant vibration in the steering wheel. It is mild and goes away if you grip the steering wheel tight enough.

I was going to get the alignment checked to see if that is the problem. My shocks and struts are next on the list to get replaced. If the alignment doesn't fix it, what else to you guys think it could be...the shake wasn't there before the new components were installed.

Thanks!

hooRAH is offline Certified Ziptie Mechanic
    My Cars
    01 330Ci 5spd
    Its not the alignment, its the tire balance, specifically the balance between the outside edge of the tire and the inside edge.

Worn CABs are forgiving of this, new cabs are less forgiving, and powerflex cabs are VERY sensitive to this.

Search for threads on powerflex or polyurethene bushing installs and the vibrations that come afterwards, and what the eventual solution was. Its almost always a balancing issue.
    01 330Ci 5spd / 07 Honda Pilot EX-L
    Will read/reset SRS codes in South Florida for beer money

My Cars
    '00 328Ci, '18 330xi
    after replacement of every steering/suspension component in my front end, I have a very mild vibration that I've never been able to remove 100%. I have Meyle HD FCABs. If I had oem FCABs, I bet it would go away.

That said, I have absolutely ZERO play in my wheels at high speed. Small price to pay for amazing handling.

My Cars
    00 BMW 328CI, 00 MX5 SE
    Also check your rotors with a straight edge. Then check to see if you have a sticking brake pad (loose pad clip springs).

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    FYI... alignments do not cause vibrations.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325 Ci
    Cool. Thanks for all the responses. I may look at the rotors again. I just replaced them, and the first set was wrapped from the factory. They were swapped with a new set, but will check those again also.

I meant warped from the factory, sorry.
    Last edited by bdye48; 05-02-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E92 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by hooRAH View Post
    Its not the alignment, its the tire balance, specifically the balance between the outside edge of the tire and the inside edge.

Worn CABs are forgiving of this, new cabs are less forgiving, and powerflex cabs are VERY sensitive to this.

Search for threads on powerflex or polyurethene bushing installs and the vibrations that come afterwards, and what the eventual solution was. Its almost always a balancing issue.

True dat!
    Sahara Beige 323i 5MT, Bilstein struts, Carbon Fiber BMW Performance Strut Bar, Carbon Fiber DINAN Cold Air Intake, BMW BBS Style 124 staggered 18" rims, Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 & 255/35, Front plate delete, Debadge, LED Eagle Eye Tailights, BMW Clear corners, BMW rear License Plate PDC sensors

Monaco Blue 318i Auto, Bilstein struts, BMW front grills and finisher trims of 335i, BMW Style 366 staggered 19" rims, No runflats just M mobility kit, BMW M dead pedal, Front plate delete, Debadge, AC Schnitzer replica rear trunk spoiler, BMW OEM accesories:Umbrella, Rubber floor mats, Trunk Bag Hook, 1st aid kit, Tire preasure gauge, Oil storage bag, Tire tote spare wheel for trips

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by hooRAH View Post

+1 definitely sounds like tire balance.
    STITCHES330XI