Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DIY: Just Another Lower Control Arm Bushing Swap

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    No sweat. I remember asking about that years ago, but never did to either of my cars since it's not legal. I picked up some sway bar reinforces to weld in, but unsure of the legality of those, too, I elected to not install them....at least not yet.

I sometimes go to fairly rediculous lengths to assure my stuff is 100% legal (take a look at SCCAforums.com for my posts!). You see, when I was co-driving in FSP with my friend (in his VW Scirocco) we were protested at Nationals in 2002 because there was no documented proof that the head on the car was legal. At least there wasn't at the time. It was considered a weak protest by 99% of the competitors, but it was upheld. Everyone else in the class believed it to be legal, too.

I lost a 2nd place trophy. The car owner lost a 3rd place trophy. It was later proven that the head *is* legal, but we simply didn't have the documentation to prove it at the time. We do now, but I'm in my own car again so it's not an issue for me anyway.

So having been through that, you can see why I'd get pretty defensive about my car's legality.

Tommy

My Cars
    96 328is, 01 M5
    LOL! this has got to be the most informative while funniest DIY i've ever read, i haven't read any of your others though but THANKS! I will be doing this in the future and man your write up makes me a lot more confident about doing it!!

keep up the excellent work my fellow bimmer enthusiast!

^^ Really old picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I am going to make a bold claim, that the f30 is this millenium's e30...... god needed a new chariot, he decided to upgrade to something thats not falling apart and making farting noises down the street having satan laughing at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
    Idiocracy was supposed to be cautionary tale, not a prophecy.

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by robisconfusedd
    LOL! this has got to be the most informative while funniest DIY i've ever read, i haven't read any of your others though but THANKS! I will be doing this in the future and man your write up makes me a lot more confident about doing it!!

keep up the excellent work my fellow bimmer enthusiast!
    LOL... No sweat, man. Glad you enjoyed it...

Tommy

My Cars
    98 328is
    This is how I installed my bushing on the arm in under a minute

My mod list: Uhhh no money for mods too busy fixing broke stuff.
    Repair list: Hood strut, rear bearings, O2 sensors,brakes, clutch, seat release cable, secondary air non return valve, secondary air pump relay, clogged charcoal canister, glove box, radiator, thermostat, thermostst housing, expansion tank, leaking ps hose, Icv, clogged injectors, battery, control arm bushings, fog lights,aux fan temp switch. Ac belt tensioner pulley. Needs : secondary air pump, window regulator motor fix, new gear for electric seat.

My Cars
    Eva-Maria 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch Monkey View Post
    This is how I installed my bushing on the arm in under a minute
    I gave THAT a go last night, to no avail. It is a good idea, though. I just put my control arm in a vice and whaled on the bushing till it went into place

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get up and running. I just wanted to say thanks to bimmerforums and its members.
    'Mods':ABS delete; A/C delete; 'distressed' nose panel

My Cars
    e36
    awesome write up!!!

thanks!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330CI
    Thanks for the info - very useful!

My Cars
    2001 330i
    You don't have to change out the whole Control Arms everytime you change the bushings?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
    You don't have to change out the whole Control Arms everytime you change the bushings?
    Nope!

Tommy

My Cars
    1998 328is, 07 YZ450f
    Nice diy man thanks!
    gingerE36dude

My Cars
    M332
    guys i was wondering if i do the front do i have to let the car settle for a day before i get started on the rear or can i begin right away? Also can you please clarify for me one thing. You mentioned that once the bushing is installed you have 30 minutes to have it installed on the control arm, does that mean that the car has to be dropped on that side to allow for settling? Is it recommend to have the car lifted up on both sides and do them both at the same time?

My Cars
    '01 Formula Firehawk '97 Byzanz M3/4/5
    I know this probably won't be of any help to you orbphobic as it's over 2 months past... but the 30 min rule as I'm reading it deals w/ the type of lube that BMW uses in the installation of the bushing. After 30 min it 'welds' the bushing to the arm. Since we're using liquid soap, I don't believe we are prone to this limitation.

Oh and great idea on the strapping ratchet to do the install

I'll be doing this install over the weekend on ole Penny to replace the Treehouse Lollipops... Poly for DD = LOSE!!!
    2001 Pewter Formula Firehawk Hard-Top (1 of 3 for 2001)
    Need to update the website!

1997 Byzanz M3/4/5 "Penny"
    First pic @ her new home 04-22-07, more to come

May 2008 after 5% tint and Zaino Detail

My Cars
    1986 528e
    Just to clarify - I'm putting OEM rubber bushings on my 99 M3. Do I need an alignment afterward?

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangrocket View Post
    Just to clarify - I'm putting OEM rubber bushings on my 99 M3. Do I need an alignment afterward?
    Yes.
    [
    Turner Perf Chip/Fan Delete/Sparco Strut Tower Brace/X-Brace/JTD Underpanel
    Zimmerman X-D Rotors/Axxis Ultimate Pads/Solid Caliper Guide Bolt Bushings
    UUC EVO3/DSSR SSK/3.15 LSD/Cosmos Racing CAI V2/ASC Delete
    96+ M3 LCA/LCAB M3 RTAB and GC Shims
    BMW OEM Alarm/Woodgrain Delete/Blizzaks baby!/16x7 BMW Style 30 Sport wheels

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234