Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OEM M3 radiator vs OEM Z3M S54 radiator

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by camdinans3 View Post
    every time this comes up i want to punch myself in the face. Stock E36 or Z3M S54 radiator is not going to make a difference. buy whatever is cheaper, if you want the stock oil cooler position, buy the Z3M S54. That's it. 99% of you think you drive this car SO HARD, i'm so hardcore bro i do autox. i'm so hardcore bro i take off ramps at 60mph. I'm hardcore because i do a HPDE. Let me give you a piece of advice, you're not hardcore and you don't drive your car harder than anyone else and the OEM cooling system is fine for you. If the OEM or Z3M S54 radiator is fully functional, you have an OEM or stewart water pump and if your coolant is in good condition, you have a functioning thermostat, the ducting is in place, the aux fan is working and/or you have an electric puller fan/mechanical fan you are going to be ok. If you have these things and you are overheating, then you have other problems and buying a $600 radiator is not going to fix the overheating issue. Read that part carefully. But wait camdinan...i sit in traffic and its 100 degrees on the highway, i NEED this fancy radiator. Nope. you don't. fix the other stuff first. sure the full metal pieces are nice, they do cool marginally better, but do YOU need it. nope. I run a Z3M S54 radiator, it was like $170 shipped and is going to last a long time and when it breaks i'll buy another but that's still 1/2 the total cost of the metal ones. my coolant temperature never moves past where it's supposed to (yes i have an ACTUAL coolant gauge)
    During a few of my events with a stock rad and spal fan, my temps would go between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark. With my "hardcore" zionsville, I no longer have any issues. I use my car mainly for track so ya, I think I need the zionsville.

What do you care if people want to buy a good product? Maybe you've been punching yourself in the face too much lol

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    The zionsville kit is pretty slick except for the fact that I can replace the entire cooling system with new for that price. Does everything bolt up to the zion like oe; expansion tank, shroud, cap, bleeder, and clears fan clutch..?
    I have the Fatboy without any fans. It slides right in with zero fitment issues. A buddy of mine has the e30/36 radiator from them and has zero fitment issues.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    something else is wrong. If i recall correctly your stock radiator was bulging out at the bottom.....100% something else is messed up and pressurizing your system.

i did several track days with my supercharged car on a completely stock setup, not even an oil cooler and my temps were completely fine on the idiot gauge and actual water temp gauge.
    Andrew:
    1995: Avus

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    every time this comes up i want to punch myself in the face. Stock E36 or Z3M S54 radiator is not going to make a difference. buy whatever is cheaper, if you want the stock oil cooler position, buy the Z3M S54. That's it.

99% of you think you drive this car SO HARD, i'm so hardcore bro i do autox. i'm so hardcore bro i take off ramps at 60mph. I'm hardcore because i do a HPDE.

Let me give you a piece of advice, you're not hardcore and you don't drive your car harder than anyone else and the OEM cooling system is fine for you. If the OEM or Z3M S54 radiator is fully functional, you have an OEM or stewart water pump and if your coolant is in good condition, you have a functioning thermostat, the ducting is in place, the aux fan is working and/or you have an electric puller fan/mechanical fan you are going to be ok.

If you have these things and you are overheating, then you have other problems and buying a $600 radiator is not going to fix the overheating issue. Read that part carefully.

But wait camdinan...i sit in traffic and its 100 degrees on the highway, i NEED this fancy radiator. Nope. you don't. fix the other stuff first.

sure the full metal pieces are nice, they do cool marginally better, but do YOU need it. nope. I run a Z3M S54 radiator, it was like $170 shipped and is going to last a long time and when it breaks i'll buy another but that's still 1/2 the total cost of the metal ones. my coolant temperature never moves past where it's supposed to (yes i have an ACTUAL coolant gauge)
    You seriously missed the point. Of course the OE components work....when they haven't failed. Get it?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    No I didn't miss the point. This is all hyberole and I'm not sure who started it. Its like e36 BMW plastic is super fragile and will fail immediately regardless of age. Its just foolish. The radiators are fine and work for a VERY long time. The OEM system works.

Then people say oh well I guess more is better and buy a radiator that costs 6x as much and maybe cools a bit better, which is a waste.
    Andrew:

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    something else is wrong. If i recall correctly your stock radiator was bulging out at the bottom.....100% something else is messed up and pressurizing your system.

i did several track days with my supercharged car on a completely stock setup, not even an oil cooler and my temps were completely fine on the idiot gauge and actual water temp gauge.
    I bought a new cap and the system is able to work as intended. Just because you're supercharged doesn't mean you're pushing the car as hard as I am

- - - Updated - - -

No I didn't miss the point. This is all hyberole and I'm not sure who started it. Its like e36 BMW plastic is super fragile and will fail immediately regardless of age. Its just foolish. The radiators are fine and work for a VERY long time. The OEM system works.

Then people say oh well I guess more is better and buy a radiator that costs 6x as much and maybe cools a bit better, which is a waste.
    Which water pump do you have in your car?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    oh i forgot we're all F1 drivers pushing our E36M's to 11/10th's 100% of the time.

i have a stewart pump.
    Andrew:

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    if you ran an SC on track with the stock cooling system and didn't have any issues then you weren't driving hard at all.

Using your logic, why spend money on the blower if you don't need the power?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
    if you ran an SC on track with the stock cooling system and didn't have any issues then you weren't driving hard at all.

Using your logic, why spend money on the blower if you don't need the power?
    ok this isn't even worth arguing. No i didn't have any cooling issues.

Not entirely sure how you could judge "how hard i was driving" but that is besides the point.
    Andrew:

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    oh i forgot we're all F1 drivers pushing our E36M's to 11/10th's 100% of the time.

i have a stewart pump.
    I thought the stewert pump was an aftermarket pump...Stock not good enough?

I am running times adjacent to e9X M3s at The Ridge Motorsport Park in Shelton Wa with crappy H&R coils.

My Cars
    a few e30s
    this thread is classic bfc. I love you guys.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaliy View Post
    Seriously, its not like the thing is going to explode and instant head gasket failure like many suggest. If it develops a crack and leaks, big deal. You should see wet spots were you park and you will definitely get a low coolant level message on the obc. If those signs arent enough for you to figure out that something might be wrong then i suggest you buy a Prius.
    Not accurate. Cracked plastic neck can cause near instant total loss of cooling. Not some casual drip drip and subsequent low coolant warning light. With that said, properly functioning and maintained OE is on my rig.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    this thread is classic bfc. I love you guys.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    I got over 100k out of my last (and first) Z3 S54 unit, replaced it with a new one. We'll see how long the 2nd one lasts.....And it was great in SoCal, remember being in bumper to bumper 114 degrees outside, had AC blasting, did a 108 degree Auto-X at CA speedway, only bummer is up here in the PNW I don't get any real heat till I've gone over 5 miles, and on Mornings in the teens thats rough! Ha Ha

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    *bf.c challenge* Resolve radiator battle before 2015, winner gets title of bf.c #1 heat transfer systems engineer! I already see at least three in the running ;p

Here's my submission:

#1 - don't f with it because racecar but you are really a streetcar (aka stay w stock piece), there's no difference between z3m and s52.
    #2 - if you have mad ayrton senna like track skills and you are pushing the limits of stock cooling, then f it go all out everyone else bow down to the bling. And don't hate if you are too slow to experience cooling issues. .

There you have it. Open shut case Johnson!!
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    1995 M3
    ^ lol

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in the OEM is plenty good enough crowd, even though I have mish radiator I look back and wish I'd just installed an OEM replacement. I've seen 235 degs on my water temp gauge, on a HOT day, on a 3rd gear only track spending 80% of my time at 5k rpm and above (FYI, the stock gauge didn't budge). That's the worst I've seen. But I need to add a MotionMotorsports radiator baffle.

If I had OEM rad, I'd change every 50k to 100k (depending on heat cycles really), and I'd change any aluminum radiator at LEAST at 100k mi. But I'll likely never see an additional 100k mi on this car.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    no one (that has been having cooling problems) has even acknowledged if they have all the proper parts of the cooling system functioning. yes that means you guys who don't have any of the under-panels intact.

nah...bmw engineers are dumb, i'll just slap in a $600 aluminum radiator, that'll fix it.

As in typical e36 bfc fashion, lets not actually fix the problem.
    Last edited by camdinans3; 12-31-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    Andrew:

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    no one (that has been having cooling problems) has even acknowledged if they have all the proper parts of the cooling system functioning. yes that means you guys who don't have any of the under-panels intact.

nah...bmw engineers are dumb, i'll just slap in a $600 aluminum radiator, that'll fix it.

As in typical e36 bfc fashion, lets not actually fix the problem.
    You are truly a lost cause, and have no clue about failure analysis or quality control. EVERY manufacturer barring the best super cars have design issues. Of course there are actual issues that cause the OE cooling system not to function as designed and no matter how much you spend on a nice radiator is going to change that. As stated before once the neck breaks clean off you're done. However whatever "seems" to work at the cheapest price is what goes in your car without understanding that it can happen to you. The mentality of "it won't happen to me" syndrome is the phase you're in right now. The reality is you are simply rolling the dice. Yep, I and others just merely slapped in a $600 rad for no good reason at all. However I never had any cooling issues when I did that so now you must be thinking what a complete idiot. Try to think about it for a bit........I thought this much.

Bye Bye

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    Just as I suspected. Can't answer a simple question.
    Andrew:

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the stock E36 or Z3 S54 Behr radiators. I would not worry at all about the plastic neck failing during a regular time/mileage service interval of 5-10 years or 100k miles. I changed the original radiator at 7 years and 60k miles and the Z3 S54 replacement at 7 years and 50k miles. I would not buy a $600 aluminum radiator because I was worried about the neck breaking on a $150 Behr.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    no one (that has been having cooling problems) has even acknowledged if they have all the proper parts of the cooling system functioning. yes that means you guys who don't have any of the under-panels intact. nah...bmw engineers are dumb, i'll just slap in a $600 aluminum radiator, that'll fix it. As in typical e36 bfc fashion, lets not actually fix the problem.
    Why'd you buy a $200 water pump? The plastic impeller that came stock in our cars that was designed by Bmw wasn't good enough? Why'd you get aftermarket tires? Why'd you get aftermarket wheels? Why did you get aftermarket suspension? Why'd you get aftermarket power upgrades? How is upgrading a radiator any different than upgrading a cooling system? Point to a Bmw racecar or track prepped car that utilizes all of BMW's original designs.

My cooling system had issues until I bought the aluminum one. I don't like to bog the car when I track so I may keep the car at 6k rpms in some turns. I was overheating with the z3 radiator in extreme conditions. With a new cap and zionsville radiator I no longer have the issues I used to.

I have stewert water pump, OE hoses, zionsville rad, euro overflow and motion Motorsport underpanel with radiator baffle. Anything I should add, Andrew?
    Last edited by KnudsonsM3; 12-31-2014 at 01:57 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    OK several of you are more hardcore racecar drivers than me. You drive your street...errrr uumm "track cars" much harder than I could have possibly imagined. You win bimmerforums. Congrats.
    Andrew:

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Can't reply to my post?

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Who spent 600$ on a radiator? I know my all aluminum rad was nowhere near that.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    Who spent 600$ on a radiator? I know my all aluminum rad was nowhere near that.
    Which one did you buy? I am not convinced the cheap ones are any better than the Behr. I bought a Mishimoto but only because it has the warranty.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast